You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_588062238216734 (resized).jpeg
20180529_114418 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello guys,

Got a weird issue I thought I'd throw at the wall and see what sticks as searches have net nothing.

Got a nascar with a working but shaky dmd. It was tired I suspect so I swapped in a new one and nothing. Dead. I was careful to make sure all the pins were aligned correctly, and interfaced correctly. I checked the display power supply outputs at the display and found wonky numbers, so I checked at the ps output and again found strange readings, I then checked the incoming AC and found no input for com/white. All the other voltages are correct except for the 18vdc is a volt low. Anyone care to take a stab at it? The game functions correctly except for the dmd.

Boy I'd sure appreciate it.

#2 5 years ago

Probably have to call Stern tech support on that one.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Right!

Im just not sure what the causal factor could possibly be. How could simply swapping out dmd's possibly cause harm at the transformer level? I'm missing something obvious. Well if anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions.

#4 5 years ago

Just an update, a stab in the dark in case anyone happens to read this...

I swapped the display power supply and dmd out of a known working TSPP into the nascar and the old nascar ps and dmd into the tspp. The nascar ps and dmd are fine in TSPP and the tspp stuff does nothing in Nascar. What am I missing?

Here are the ps supply readings from the known working ps in the nascar.
CN1:
+5vdc
+17.3vdc
Key
Gnd
White trans GND
+118vac
+95.2vac

CN2:
-114.4vdc
+91.1vdc
Key
Gnd
Gnd
+5vdc
Blue wire 0vdc
+65vdc

All LEDs are lit on the power driver board. There was work done there before evidenced by new transistors at q1 and q2 and soldered jumpers on j11. None of this affects the dmd I do not believe.

Two separate power supplies with the same issue of no power on the blue wire. Seems like bad odds.

#5 5 years ago

Simply put, what could cause the 12vdc to be absent from two different known working power supplies getting the appropriate feeds..

Anyone? Please???

20180529_114418 (resized).jpg20180529_114418 (resized).jpg

received_588062238216734 (resized).jpegreceived_588062238216734 (resized).jpeg

#6 5 years ago

the 18v does not come from the transformer, it comes from the driver board. you can follow the wire itself very easily down to the driver bd. I just don't recall which plug at this point.the 12v is done on the display p/s however It's only really used by certain brands of displays. I think you have a failed component possibly on each disp p/s and your new display needs it where as old display did not need the 12v. just a thought and I could be way off.

4 weeks later
#7 5 years ago

Is it fixed?

#8 5 years ago

I ended up replacing the power supply, driver board and dmd. There is a small burned prong on the back of the board on the IC where it wasn't noticeable.

One strange thing however is that since then, the game insists there are two switch failures which both test and function fine. Maybe a reset will clear it up. Hey thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascar-unusual-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.