NASCAR- thoughts? It seems really fun...but

By shacklersrevenge

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have to say I am not a NASCAR fan. I might have watched half an hour of a race once or twice in my life.
However, was wondering just how good is NASCAR, theme aside.
I first played one in a bar, back in 2007 and thought it was okay. Yesterday, I played a Dale JR that I've played a few times over the course of a year or so, and have to say, I have been really enjoying it. I'm really surprised how smooth it plays, it felt a lot like a pin2k. Being a Lawlor pin, it reminds me of Banzai run for some reason, but i'm also a big fan of how he designs.
Some of the shots are really smooth, fast, great little orbiting dual spinner, drops, captive ball, and some cool features like the weird ball launch...I really enjoyed some of the modes, especially where you bash the car for nice points and you also collect your modes there-

Am I crazy to consider this pin? I kept thinking while playing how it's priced so right as well, but the theme is just ...idk...Wishing it was Banzai Run 2!! lol

Fire away!

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Am I crazy to consider this pin?

If you like it and are not considering it because others don't like it, that's crazy.

#3 11 years ago

No, not saying that would be a deciding factor at all. Just wondering how many people are actually fans vs not, that still think it's a great pin or really fun despite the theme, and wondering how well it would hold up or if it's just best suited for the coin drop every now and then. If it's just the theme that has kept pricing very reasonable and the game is great....

#4 11 years ago

The polesitter this year has bigger kahonies then the second position driver.

#5 11 years ago

No, not saying that would be a deciding factor at all. Just wondering how many people are actually fans vs not, that still think it's a great pin or really fun despite the theme, and wondering how well it would hold up or if it's just best suited for the coin drop every now and then.

Sorry if my comment was seen as a put down. I meant to add a smiley.

i don't think it would last very long in the home environment. I got sick of mm in about a month though, so take that into consideration. Pretty much every pin gets boring in the home environment for me though. I kinda wish i still had my TZ though...

Sorry, went all OT on ya.

#6 11 years ago

It isn't complicated but is entertaining.
The humor isn't on par with AFM or MM, but is subtle and can crack a grin.
There aren't a great variety of shots but the ones that are there are integrated well in to many different modes and are challenging enough to be satisfying.
The light show is pretty good. Not enough blues and reds to be as visually stunning as Tron, but when you get the wizard mode going, the yellows and occasional green are bright and appealing.
The race track serves little function, other than raising excitement as the race is on. Of course, what else would you want it to do?
The theme is actually well represented with "race day", homages to red neck fans and pit crews, championships season, and a fantastic store with cool race related prizes! You can check them out on your 2 way radio.

Great game? Hell, no. Entertaining, modestly priced and worth a look? Oh, yeah.

#7 11 years ago

cojones for future reference. (thumbs down for spelling/grammar police)

#8 11 years ago

how many people are actually fans vs no

I am not really a fan. I do love fast cars and being at a race is enjoyable, but I wouldn't kill a Sunday afternoon glued to the tube to watch.

Quoted from davewtf:

kahonies

cojones for future reference. (thumbs down for spelling/grammar police)

C'mon, Dave. He is from Cali...near Hawaii. He is using the Hawaiian spelling of the word.

#9 11 years ago

one of the better car/racing themes. it's good bang for the buck. i like the game, even though it's a crappy theme and it's a bottom of the barrel stern choice. not bad if you have a ton of room. something you buy at the very end of the stern list when you want to fill up space. solid 2.4k max game imo. wouldn't bother if it was more.

rather have a mint, dialed-in hs. better choice of a car theme.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks- While the Dale JR edition is fancier, I prefer the stock cars translight over the dale face, even though it has to be the cheapest le ever made (currently, priced very affordable) It's really no different besides the trim, so a 2-2.4 regular sounds about right

#11 11 years ago

I admit I got a strange taste in pinball machines. For example I'd rather play DW and X-Men over ACDC or Tron.

With that being said I'm in the same boat with NASCAR...couldn't care less for the theme but enjoy the game play. People will try to cram their opinions down your throat. If you like the game...play the shit out of it!

#12 11 years ago

The polesitter this year has bigger huevos than the second position driver.

#13 11 years ago

I have to say I am not a Nascar fan. I might have watched half an hour of a race once or twice in my life.
However, was wondering just how good is Nascar, theme aside.
I first played one in a bar, back in 2007 and thought it was okay. Yesterday, I played a Dale JR that I've played a few times over the course of a year or so, and have to say, I have been really enjoying it. I'm really surprised how smooth it plays, it felt a lot like a pin2k. Being a Lawlor pin, it reminds me of Banzai Run for some reason, but i'm also a big fan of how he designs.
Some of the shots are really smooth, fast, great little orbiting dual spinner, drops, captive ball, and some cool features like the weird ball launch...I really enjoyed some of the modes, especially where you bash the car for nice points and you also collect your modes there-
Am I crazy to consider this pin? I kept thinking while playing how it's priced so right as well, but the theme is just ...idk...Wishing it was Banzai Run 2!! lol
Fire away!

The game grew on me. I think Nascar is a waste of fossil fuel, so the theme does absolutely nothing for me, but the game can be a good time. Key is to have it fully working. Having the test car broken and/or shooting the ball SDTM will make you hate the game. There are some nice shots, some nice flow. It's a challenging game. Once in a while I miss the only one I ever played that worked correctly that I used to play at SS Billiards.

#14 11 years ago

I would say 'To each it's own'.

I purchased one in November and so far it's a blast. As for the theme, well, it's NASCAR, what else can you say.

1) Nice Shots,
2) Good Flow
3) Music is actually decent
4) Nice DMD action
5) Really cool 'Around the Track' ball action
6) Decent rule set.
7) Priced right
8) O, yes, it's a Lawlor Pin...

#15 11 years ago

I'm with gorilla and vclover. The game is pretty sweet for a cheaper DMD.

#16 11 years ago

I hate NASCAR on TV - so friggin boring they should market it as a sleep aid, but the pin is oddly fun.

It's the only pin at a pizza place we go to and I've grown fond of it.

If you like it, I say get it.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I hate Nascar on TV

You ever go to the race? I love the smell of burning cars in the morning!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I hate Nascar on TV

Quoted from o-din:

You ever go to the race?

Just like baseball for me. At home the only thing that can put me to sleep faster is OWN.
Live, there is nothing like it!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You ever go to the race? I love the smell of burning cars in the morning!

I've been 2x with vendors from work.

We did much more drinking than anything else.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

If you like it and are not considering it because others don't like it, that's crazy.

The first answer was the best answer! davewth had it exactly correct. If you like it, get it and play it. Who the heck cares what anyone else thinks about it. Pinball is a game. If you find that game fun, what more could you ask from a hobby. Enjoy the heck out of it.

#21 11 years ago

NASCAR is a fun game. If the price is right, BUY IT! I don't like the theme either but I really enjoyed my NASCAR when I had it.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The last time we went, one of our crew didn't even make it out of the camper when it came time to go watch the race.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I think Nascar is a waste of fossil fuel, so the theme does absolutely nothing for me, but the game can be a good time. Key is to have it fully working

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think most of the bad rap comes from the theme and the rest from poorly tuned machines. It's a pretty damned fun pin...I go back and forth weekly on whether I have more fun on Nascar or SM, and I've owned Nascar longer even.

There's not a lot to love unless you actually play it. Great gameplay, average to poor in every other department.

1 week later
#24 11 years ago

There is one at the Iron Horse Bar right in Fitchburg if you want to pound on one locally before you buy.

#25 11 years ago

Maybe there's something wrong with the one at the bowling alley, but the car in the middle seems to spend a lot of time popped up and I just keep hitting the ball into it and it keeps spitting it out -- gets kinda tedious....

#26 11 years ago

if you can get it for under 2,000 grab it,when you get sick of it, you wont get hurt, cool game but loses its appeal after a short time, good game to put on location.

#27 11 years ago

Going on 4 months with mine and still holding my interest. Really an under-rated Pin.
So yes, if you can get it for around $2k, go ahead. Also, the kids and wife like playing
it alot.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from mflis2000:

Maybe there's something wrong with the one at the bowling alley, but the car in the middle seems to spend a lot of time popped up and I just keep hitting the ball into it and it keeps spitting it out -- gets kinda tedious....

Many known issues with the switches on this game. The pit is a real problem.

Quoted from rooftop:

if you can get it for under 2,000 grab it,when you get sick of it, you wont get hurt, cool game but loses its appeal after a short time, good game to put on location.

Short and sweet but a good opinion.

#29 11 years ago

I like Nascar. I just wish the music was a little bit better.

#30 11 years ago

I literally just played 5 games.

Quoted from Taxman:

Many known issues with the switches on this game. The pit is a real problem.

I had to completely rebuild my garage, but now it's awesome. The rail mech in it really takes one hell of a beating.

The number of hits you have to make on the test car to open the garage can be changed, I think from the factory it's set to 1, so every time you hit the test car you open the garage. Make it 2 or 3 and it becomes a little more challenging/fun to open the garage and activate the modes.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

actually, the music changes throughout the game. It's really growing on me.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from vcloverjr:

So only the begining song sucks?

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Quoted from AbacusMan:So only the begining song sucks?

Kinda,

#34 11 years ago

Last time I played this pin, I left it with the ball doing mach 90 non-stop loops, and that is how I would like to remember it!

#35 11 years ago

James, it IS a fun pin, many are turned off by the theme. I know you have been in the hobby a long time, which= enjoy what makes ya smile and not what the A-list masses approve off! SpOoKy

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from vcloverjr:

if you can get it for around $2k, go ahead

I need to let mine go to help fund a different title. Around 2k works for me...

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I need to let mine go to help fund a different title. Around 2k works for me...

When you are ready to go, let me know.

#38 11 years ago

I've always enjoyed it on location for what it's worth. But then again I also just added SP, which I (me and my wife) enjoyed playing on location. And now she will at least join me in the basement. I think it would be a fantastic game to move in, and then move out. Buy low, sell even and enjoy it.

#39 11 years ago

I like Mine

But hey, I even watch the races every now and then.

#40 11 years ago

I like the game but not a NASCAR racing fan at all.

It's colorful, bright, family friendly & intuitive (car, garage, lit shots).

I play it @ CP Pinball a LOT. It's a game where if a nearby properly priced HUO example popped up I'd buy it for the hell of it since they don't fetch much money.

#41 11 years ago

Do the ramps only turn left?

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Do the ramps only turn left?

Hey, NASCAR usually run two road course races. They include turns to the right.

#43 11 years ago

Both ramps turn right. Go figure.

#44 11 years ago

not to highjack this tread at all, but if anyone is interested in a NASCAR pinball i just took in about 6 of them from a route deal.

pm me for details.

on a side note, i do like the pin. the spinners are fun, the loop with the magnets is great, call outs are good. like it has been said here a couple of time, for a DMD under 2K you really can't go wrong.

Christopher

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I am not a racing fan at all but the game is really fun. Like Indy 500, the theme is just a backdrop.

I have been to 1 NASCAR event and it was something to see. I think everyone should go once.
It's so massive and load it's extremely impressive. And of course tons of drinking...i mean bring your own? Hard to beat that.

#46 11 years ago

i am not fond of Nascar but the pinball machine is pretty cool. love how the ball races around the table. I would buy one

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascar-thoughts-it-seems-really-funbut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.