You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6E0F707D-1E5C-47DA-9AF6-4F1D86F1C60B (resized).jpeg
8764FD79-F094-4B2F-848D-07BA8C97CA04 (resized).jpeg
2B8CF428-95EC-4185-B3A3-5C9749121FD9 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I just picked up a NASCAR and when I powered it up all of the G.I. lights are flashing. If the coin door is open all the coils fire as well And fuse if 21 quickly blows. There is a rottendog driver board and I think has all new game roms. The display does not work at all but it’s a working display. Any suggestions on what to look for?

2B8CF428-95EC-4185-B3A3-5C9749121FD9 (resized).jpeg2B8CF428-95EC-4185-B3A3-5C9749121FD9 (resized).jpeg
#3 3 years ago

I read through the pinwiki and tested the 5 VDC and it tested at 5.10. I closely inspected the chips underneath the batteries and I do not see any alkaline damage. When I went to take you 212 out I noticed that some of the legs were not seated. I seated everything properly and I still have the same problem. When I boot the machine up, part of the display comes on momentarily which I did not do before I did anything. Any suggestions now?

6E0F707D-1E5C-47DA-9AF6-4F1D86F1C60B (resized).jpeg6E0F707D-1E5C-47DA-9AF6-4F1D86F1C60B (resized).jpeg8764FD79-F094-4B2F-848D-07BA8C97CA04 (resized).jpeg8764FD79-F094-4B2F-848D-07BA8C97CA04 (resized).jpeg
#4 3 years ago

Flashing means your game is not booting. Had a similar problem on a Nascar and it was the RAM chip. If you turn the game on and then push the reset button on the board and it boots, it might be that. Took forever to figure it out.

Can't remember the location of the RAM chip, but your game rom at U210 should have that little window covered or light can erase or corrupt it.

#5 3 years ago

When I press the reset button I still have the same problem. Could my problems be caused by the ram on U210? Perhaps it was compromised already. Also the ram that was on U 212 was not seated properly but I seated properly.

#6 3 years ago

It's been over 5 years since I fixed mine, but it was a headache. If your game rom is compromised, it might cause that I guess.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascar-boot-problem

#7 3 years ago

I found a cpu rom inside and it was the original rom that plugs into u210. It had all the legs bent and crushed but I straightened everything out and put it in the game and it comes on and does not flash the lights or fire coils any longer. I can't start a game but its cycling through the lights properly. The screen just stays locked on *STERN PINBALL NASCAR* but hopefully the rom is just damaged and a new one will do the trick. I will update when I get the new rom. Thanks for the help.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I can't start a game but its cycling through the lights properly.

Have you tried coining it up or setting it to free play?

#9 3 years ago

I can't get into the game menu.

#10 3 years ago

Yeah, I figured that when you the said the screen stays locked on at Nascar Pinball. Well, at least you are making progress.

Try the new game rom and see what happens. As long as it is now booting, the RAM may not be an issue on yours.

#11 3 years ago

The newer game rom has a different display rom than the original. If you go back to the original code, you will need the correct display rom too.

Nascar is a game that you want to be on the latest code, because the last revision had code to deal with the trough issues. If the older Rom boots, then your current rom probably got corrupted.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks, which rom is the display rom?

#13 3 years ago

There is 5 roms at the bottom of the board. 1-4 are voice roms and th5 is a sound rom. The cpu rom is in the top left corner and I am ordered a new one from Marco. Where is the display rom?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Thanks, which rom is the display rom?

Don, I had this exact same problem. I have to go with RAM chip as well. I took out the L chip and put in nvram. After doing that I was able to get it to boot. If that doesn't work I'd try checking continuity with that socket.

Good luck

#15 3 years ago

It should be the ROM on the display board. I unfortunately sold the game so I am going off of memory.

#16 3 years ago

I got a new rom, Nascar 4.50 and put it in and I still have the same results. Machine comes on and says on the display reads *STERN PINBALL NASCAR* After a few seconds it properly cycles the lights. Service buttons do not work. The display rom installed says u rom o 401. What display rom should I be using?

#17 3 years ago

I put a new CPU rom version a 4.50 and display rom version a 4.00. I still have the same results. Should the display Rom be version 4.50 as well? Anything else I should look at?

#18 3 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM1996

Feels like you need to start looking at the RAM chip.

1 week later
#19 3 years ago

After installing nvram and changing the ROMs, I still have the same problem. It turns on and says stern pinball NASCAR on the display. Then goes into cycling lights mode. The thing that spins on the truck activates as well. I tried swapping out the DMD controller board as well. Could a problem with the sound or voice Roms possibly cause problems like this? Any other ideas before I send out the board for repairs?

#20 3 years ago

Can anyone give me any guidance on how to check continuity on the socket?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascar-tech-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.