Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Luppin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hello,

after narrowing my Shadow outlanes to the minimum, I would like to narrow them even more . They still eat a huge amount of balls, and I would like to increase ball time, but I do not want to close them completely.
Is there a way to further narrow the outlanes? Is there some existing mod? or some practical way?
(Maybe an idea could be very fat rubbers, instead of the default ones).

Ideas?

#2 3 years ago

You can do the "hack" that Tim Arnold use to do on some of the unforgiving side drains at the PHOF: He used to glue a strip of flipper rubber on to the sticks to help the ball bounce back over. Plus it moves the side wall in about an 1/8". If the sticks are black, maybe black flipper rubbers won't look too bad if the ball times are really bugging you.

#3 3 years ago

Bigger rubbers on the outlane post?

#4 3 years ago

I'm intrigued

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

You can do the "hack" that Tim Arnold use to do on some of the unforgiving side drains at the PHOF: He used to glue a strip of flipper rubber on to the sticks to help the ball bounce back over. Plus it moves the side wall in about an 1/8". If the sticks are black, maybe black flipper rubbers won't look too bad if the ball times are really bugging you.

Sorry, not a native speaker. What are sticks?

#6 3 years ago

can you take a picture of the area

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Sorry, not a native speaker. What are sticks?

Sorry, that is what the designers at Gottlieb called the wood side rail that run along the edge of the playfield.

#8 3 years ago

Ideally the lower post should be higher. It would be enough 1cm higher to reduce a lot the number of odd, random drains. The top part of the slingshot triangle is now higher than this post, so often the ball bounce from the top of the triangle to the post, and then often drains. A thicker rubber on the post would help. If it would be a normal circular rubber though, it should not be too thick, otherwise it would also reduce the size of the inlane, and the ball could not enter the inlane!
I was also thinking about inserting in the existing rubber a kind of cylinder on the top (between the post and the rubber), but in this way the cylinder would move on the sides if hit hard by some balls.

Any ideas?

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

only thought is a custom post that picks up the hole and has a slot in the back of it to slot either side of the wire guide and then extend up 5-10 for the same size rubber to be installed. Could be a item made then through Shapeways in stainless steel.

what is the part number of the existing post?

#10 3 years ago

Open the lanes all the way and leave them like that for a month or two. Then move them back. Trust me, you'll notice the second move a lot more than the first one.

#11 3 years ago

I see what you mean.. Agreed!

#12 3 years ago

I'd practice nudging and keeping the ball from going toward the outlanes. If the drains are mostly coming from the slings, they may need to be rebuilt so they kick the ball farther up the playfield.

#13 3 years ago

yes, agreed. nudging is the key. also, I got the machine with white rubbers (very bouncy) and for this pin (The Shadow) they create a type of gameplay I totally dont like. I put STANDARD (not silicone) black rubbers and now things are so much better. With white rubbers the game was very random, with black now you can:

1. control the ball much better with the flippers (I changed from red to black rubber on flippers too)
2. nudging on the pin of the outlanes saves much more balls. With white rubbers you can nudge correctly but the ball kept bouncing all around and back to the outlanes.

Anyway I found a simple idea: I put some toothpicks between the posts and the rubber: it only narrowed slightly the outlanes by a couple of mm, but that helps a bit. Set like this, my Shadow rocks!!! It's now a difficult game, but not punishing in an extreme, silly, random way. You constantly need to use soft nudging, slap save, bounce pass, especially dead catch, stay away from outlanes and so on.. but it's all up to the player's skills With skilled play you can consistently achieve good results, no need to wait for pure luck around the outlanes, as it seems I needed before. Much much less frustration, and way more fun.

The game is still very hard, and once very experienced I can remove memory between balls for many adjustments, and go from 5 to 3 balls. It will be the perfect machine for expert players: great rewards for the skilled, failures for the unskilled.

1 week later
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Bigger rubbers on the outlane post?

Very good idea, did it. And that's all. now my Shadow is the perfect machine, just amazing. Very hard, but playing very focused I can consistently make big scores.

#15 3 years ago

It's all aboot those Shadow Loops for big ass scores.

#16 3 years ago

Cant do better than 3 in a row so far...!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Cant do better than 3 in a row so far...!

My best is 4. That's a rough loop!

#18 3 years ago

Well they don't have to be done in a row the points keep going up.

#19 3 years ago

...made it to 4!

I also discovered superloops, worthed 20 millions, and they add up nicely too!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 50.00
$ 399.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
Saint Petersburg, FL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 59.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 59.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kansas City, MO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, WI
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside