(Topic ID: 169359)

Narrowed it down, last bit of advice please

By thall17

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Background, I own a SS, RS and NGG. I have owned a JM, RFM, WD, WH20, WW, WCS94 in the past. I have never bought a NIB and it's not often nor will it be the norm to have the money to do so. So I would like to get it right. I know it all comes down to my personal choice but I value advice from people in the know...

I am looking at either a TWD Premium or a GB Premium for the same money...

TWD - Love the show, very interested in the ability to change out music and sound, love the mods currently available. Love the fact that the code is complete. Worried about the PF quality.

GB - Loved the movie, great theme, looks amazing. Worried about playability (air balls, drains, unfinished code) PF quality

If it was your money, what would you do?

Thanks for the help!

#2 7 years ago

TWD by a country mile.

#3 7 years ago

Sounds like you want to buy a Ghostbusters, despite all you've heard about it's "playability" and are looking for some people to back you up on a decision you've already made. You are just gonna get a rehash of a million other Ghostbusters threads.

Buy what you want this isn't life or death. If you decide GB isn't for you, sell it.

#4 7 years ago

i have very very little experience with GB but i played one last week and noticed a lot of air balls (wasn't aware it was a thing). can this not be fixed by angling the spot targets very slightly forward, and other minor adjustments like that?

apologies if this has been covered 1013200q24345 times in the GB threads, haven't really been keeping up with them.

#5 7 years ago

A couple of people have made clear plastic shields to help prevent airballs. But yes, airballs are a common problem.

#6 7 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you and chose TWD Prem. It ships Friday.

Looking beyond all the obvious pluses of GB (which is probably worth buying as well), TWD has completed code, likely won't be available NIB much longer and most importantly it's a Borg/Lyman pin. Same team as Metallica, Tron, Iron Man, etc. They're like Jordan and Pippen.
    So, it was a pretty easy choice for me. Stern will be cranking out GBs for at least 2 more years. No rush there.

#7 7 years ago

Can't go wrong either way. I chose GB Premium but as others have mentioned TWD is the older more established game.

#8 7 years ago

Metallica is my advice or TWD second choice

As a bonus Met pro is cheaper and just as loved as the premium

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm in the same boat as you and chose TWD Prem. It ships Friday.
    Looking beyond all the obvious pluses of GB (which is probably worth buying as well), TWD has completed code, likely won't be available NIB much longer and most importantly it's a Borg/Lyman pin. Same team as Metallica, Tron, Iron Man, etc. They're like Jordan and Pippen.
    So, it was a pretty easy choice for me. Stern will be cranking out GBs for at least 2 more years. No rush there.

I did the same thing. I got my TWD Premium a little over a month ago. I love the GB theme, but the truth is I've gotten very little playing time on that game (I haven't seen one on location, and there is always a line at shows). After Stern's PF issues are resolved, I can look at getting a GB down the road, but I am really loving TWD.

#10 7 years ago

For me. GB is the way to go. Code will develop, the layout and toys are just great on GB. Airballs, so what, $20 plastic and ur good.
    Only you know what you'll like best tho

#11 7 years ago

Simple, don't buy either. Stern has to many QC problem to waste that much money on.

#12 7 years ago

Have you considered Metallica?

#13 7 years ago

I've played several GB pro's and have not noticed an air ball issue. I think that is a premium/le issue with the steeper ramp. I'm still waiting to play a premium to see if better than pro. Pro is fun but has issues. Gameplay is such a mixed bag. Some parts great and others parts weak. Overall I enjoy playing it but not sure about buying one. I recommend getting more play time before getting one.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I've played several GB pro's and have not noticed an air ball issue. I think that is a premium/le issue with the steeper ramp. I'm still waiting to play a premium to see if better than pro. Pro is fun but has issues. Gameplay is such a mixed bag. Some parts great and others parts weak. Overall I enjoy playing it but not sure about buying one. I recommend getting more play time before getting one.

I've actually noticed the airballs seem to die down a little bit as the game gets "broken in" - not seeing them as much on our pro. The scoleri targets and the standups on either side of the left ramp were the main offenders.

#15 7 years ago

I like GB better, but I am a Dr. Flash fan. Although you can't go wrong, both are fun pins. Have you played both of them?

#16 7 years ago

I just got a twd prem and loving it. my friend has a gb and I just can't get into that one yet. I don't see me ever owning gb.

#17 7 years ago

I have not played a GB, little time on a TWD pro not prem. Metallica I can't see owning just not a fan of the band I could do an ACDC or even have thought about a WOZ....

Tough decisions!!

#18 7 years ago

Twd all day and night and twice on Sunday. I wouldn't even consider GB. TWD is so flushed out with incredible code. I tried to like GB, I really did, and to me it is just.......well....

Get TWD .

#19 7 years ago

I own a TWD Premium and will soon have a GB Premium.
    I'd suggest you take a TWD since the code is done and the game is proven to be fantastic.
    You'll get great value for it down the road that you can sell for a GB if you decide that's what you want to do.

#20 7 years ago

I HATE the the reversed flipper crap. I avoid GB because that's not fun for me.
    Of the two you're considering TWD is my choice by far.

#21 7 years ago

Met is a better game. I would pick Twd Prem if it was my money between the two in your post.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/narrowed-it-down-last-bit-of-advice-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.