Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jjga
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

28709953-F153-4727-9378-23DBB0C3BD75 (resized).jpeg
    A68519ED-04BA-464F-ABBF-306DF6E50424 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    20190618_170957_resized (resized).jpg
    623BC085-D99F-4C00-B084-423492692DE3 (resized).jpeg
    47538231-A38B-4879-84A6-028C4834E120 (resized).jpeg
    C038F7AE-83E9-4A0D-BF15-6F7B0683E6EE (resized).jpeg
    757349ED-2077-4142-A8DD-91B0B1038003 (resized).jpeg
    48CAFD66-5977-4062-A7D1-950A674AC340 (resized).jpeg
    4AA0F096-C0A8-4C03-AE78-4ACC954CC255 (resized).jpeg
    4F8CEF7C-29CD-4BB0-B06E-90A5172586B2 (resized).jpeg
    4F7D7223-A431-4451-8EAF-859D38F8E946 (resized).jpeg
    76191096-BA2F-4D5D-897C-B37C6C0C7FC3 (resized).jpeg
    BCC6BE06-713B-45FB-ACC7-3B3245AE5C0F (resized).jpeg
    AE3A950D-F160-4C86-A730-E59D819EFFB2 (resized).jpeg
    image3 (resized).png
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Seeing as I bought into the argument that you shouldn't use Novus2 for regular cleaning and many people recommend Naptha which is flammable I was wondering if isopropyl alcohol could be used instead? This would be for modern Bally/Williams and Stern DMD games?

is Naphta better at cleaning? Or safer on the playfield?

Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Alcohol leaves residue behind, and can sometimes stain wood.

Lots of things are flammable. Heck, pins can start electrical fires. Just don't use naphtha near an open flame or while smoking a cigar, and you'll be fine.

#3 4 years ago

I've used isopropyl for years on modern games no issue. Recently switched to novus 2.

Key is 99% only not 91%

#4 4 years ago

Are you trying to summon vid1900 ?

#5 4 years ago

I use 99% isopropyl for cleaning the underside of inserts so I would use the 99% stuff.

Yes, guess I am trying to summon @vid1900.

I have no problem using Naptha just figured the alcohol is already in my tool chest and don't know why it wouldn't be a good choice.

#6 4 years ago

Where do you find the 99% stuff?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I've used isopropyl for years on modern games no issue. Recently switched to novus 2.
    Key is 99% only not 91%

Novus 2 is abrasive. Not a great idea to use just for regular cleaning.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Where do you find the 99% stuff?

Anywhere. Walmart has it.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Novus 2 is abrasive. Not a great idea to use just for regular cleaning.

It's very very very minor. You would have to clean with it thousands of times to notice it.
    Clay uses it on all of his games at VFW and they are all really nice.
    Here is my getaway before and after novus 2.
    20190526_204558 (resized).jpg20190526_204558 (resized).jpg20190526_205114 (resized).jpg20190526_205114 (resized).jpg

20190526_204350 (resized).jpg20190526_204350 (resized).jpg20190527_203018 (resized).jpg20190527_203018 (resized).jpg
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

My Walmart's can get 99% alcohol if I ask them to order it. There is no extra charge other than 99% costs a little more than 91%. It is just not a shelf item.

My Kroger pharmacy has also ordered 99% in for me.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The best I’ve found at Walmart is 91%. If they have 99% I would like to get it. Do you have to go to the Pharmacy counter to get the good stuff?

#12 4 years ago

I guess I posted a little too late.

#13 4 years ago

So you have to special order the 99% alcohol at Walmart?

#14 4 years ago

I use Novus periodically. It is a polish and works very well, even on EMs.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

Seeing as I bought into the argument that you shouldn't use Novus2...

That's a shame.

#16 4 years ago

I wouldn't advise using alcohol when cleaning early Bally solid states, in my case Space Invaders. The alcohol ate right into the lacquer topcoat, luckily I was testing it in a small spot covered by the apron so it'll never be seen. Naphtha (plus Magic Eraser for really ground-in grime) only from now on, then use Novus 2 to bring out the shine.

Edit, just saw this thread is for newer B/W games, never mind!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

So you have to special order the 99% alcohol at Walmart?

Just walk up to the pharmacy window and ask them to order you a bottle of 99%. It will be there in 1-2 days. There is nothing special about it. They may take your name and call you when it arrives.

#18 4 years ago

Alcohol will dissolve some clearcoats. Naptha wil not harm paint or clear. Naptha is excellent for removing old wax. Vaccum, naptha, Novus 2 if needed and then Blitz or other carnuba paste wax without silicone.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Alcohol will dissolve some clearcoats.

It will dissolve lacquer finishes that where put on older SS pins but, should not affect the newer CC on modern pins. Alcohol will dissolve latex paints but not enamels etc..

#20 4 years ago

MSDS on Naptha makes it seem a little harsh just for cleaning up a game. With so many other milder alternatives, why go with most toxic? I wouldn’t want those fumes in house or closed garage.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

MSDS on Naptha makes it seem a little harsh just for cleaning up a game. With so many other milder alternatives, why go with most toxic? I wouldn’t want those fumes in house or closed garage.

I use novus 1 or simple green to clean playfields, the latter works well for more stubborn areas.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

It's amazing stuff and I don't mind the smell of it. Cleans rubbers, targets, metal ramps, wireforms, etc. Makes flippers with the typical black gunk on them look new.

#23 4 years ago

Ace hardware near me stocks 99% in gallon jugs

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That's a shame.

I do use Novus2 - just not very often anymore for "routine" cleaning. I have 12 pins at home and combined they don't get 2k games per year so they don't require Novus2. I do use Novus2 on every game that I purchase when I first take delivery of it but I no longer clean them twice per year with Novus2 like I used to.

#25 4 years ago

In Canada, I can find the 99% Isopropyl on the shelf at Rexall pharmacies. I can only find the 91% at Walmart.

#26 4 years ago

My slight preference to not using Naptha arises from the complaints I get from my family about the smell in the house (as ventilation is a bit of an issue). I use it all the time in the garage for cleaning parts. Hence why a milder solution is preferable.

In the old days when working in the garage doing automotive repair engines I would not in-frequently use gasoline to wash my hands to remove the really stubborn worked in grease - other than the odd weird twitch I am fine. Not really a good idea but sometimes you just do what works best.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

In the old days when working in the garage doing automotive repair engines I would not in-frequently use gasoline to wash my hands to remove the really stubborn worked in grease - other than the odd weird twitch I am fine. Not really a good idea but sometimes you just do what works best.

My uncle was a farmer with all of the farm equipment. I saw him wash his hands with gas one day. This was the leaded gasoline. After that, I did that for just a few times. Gas is a great hand cleaner. But then I learned that the lead in gasoline could be absorbed into your body and I changed my ways.

#28 4 years ago

I use the 91% alcohol all the time but will switch to 99% now that I know how to get it. I would like to warn people however about at least one game that alcohol will totally wipe out the sideart with....Spiderman.

I do not know which process they used on the sideart of it, or what other games have that process. But I started cleaning one around the area beneath a leg and it started taking the ink off immediately. Beware and pass this information on to your friends.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

one game that alcohol will totally wipe out the sideart with....Spiderman.

That paint must be latex based as alcohol will dissolve latex. I used to test swimming pools with alcohol when the owner didn't know what type paint was applied previously, latex or epoxy paint. If you can rub the paint with a wet cloth (alcohol) and come away with paint it's latex if not epoxy.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

don't mind the smell of it

Quoted from PBFan:

complaints I get from my family about the smell in the house (as ventilation is a bit of an issue).

in this case, the smell=toxins.

Novus gets a "warning" on MSDS, Naptha a "Danger"...way higher % of toxic crap in naptha vs novus or alcohol or good ol fashioned elbow grease. Not worth it for a pinball game vs health of family--pets, kids are especially susceptible with growing brains.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

is Naphta better at cleaning? Or safer on the playfield?

It would help most if you cited which playfield you wanted to clean.

To be fair, there is no one "playfield", and thus there is no one single answer to the question.

Here's how I'd break it down...

1. pre-modern with no clear coat: naptha for sure
    2. pre-modern with mylar: 99% (anything is ok, but this is the strongest)
    3. modern or CPR with clear coat: novus 2 ???

Do you agree with the 3 grouping and solutions? I'm not a chemist, but that's my feeling on it from listening to people.

#32 4 years ago

Oh ya, naptha wreaks. It doesnt cloud stuff though, and Ive had alcohol cloud before. Naptha has worked well for me so far.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Ace hardware near me stocks 99% in gallon jugs

Remind me to steer clear of the punch at your next party ...

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Remind me to steer clear of the punch at your next party ...

...more for the rest of us!

#35 4 years ago

99 percent isn't all it's cracked up to be. It evaporates so fast it's difficult to use efficiently. So if you can't find 99 it's no big thing, 91 is fine.

#36 4 years ago

following. I'm about the clean the playfield on my first pin a 1974 CCM Dolphin. It is in bad need of a cleaning: I orded a bunch of parts from Marco Pinball including the NOVAS basic kit.

image1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).pngimage3 (resized).png
    #37 4 years ago

Yeah alcohol wont be cleaning that, that's Novus country.

#38 4 years ago

Magic eraser and alcohol, just careful how aggressive your are and then follow it up with a good Novus cleaning and a Naphtha wipe down before wax.

#39 4 years ago

Been using simple green sparingly (spraying micro fiber first in a light myst then good ole elbow grease).

AE3A950D-F160-4C86-A730-E59D819EFFB2 (resized).jpegAE3A950D-F160-4C86-A730-E59D819EFFB2 (resized).jpegC038F7AE-83E9-4A0D-BF15-6F7B0683E6EE (resized).jpegC038F7AE-83E9-4A0D-BF15-6F7B0683E6EE (resized).jpeg47538231-A38B-4879-84A6-028C4834E120 (resized).jpeg47538231-A38B-4879-84A6-028C4834E120 (resized).jpeg623BC085-D99F-4C00-B084-423492692DE3 (resized).jpeg623BC085-D99F-4C00-B084-423492692DE3 (resized).jpeg
    #40 4 years ago

Looks like it is cleaning up nicely.

#41 4 years ago

Alcohol will strip your clear coating, Naptha won't.

Thanks
    Blake

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Alcohol will strip your clear coating, Naptha won't.
    Thanks
    Blake

Vintage Naptha for working on vintage machines.

20190618_170957_resized (resized).jpg20190618_170957_resized (resized).jpg
    11 months later
    #43 3 years ago

What brand of naptha are you all using? Alcohol is impossible to find right now. Thx

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

What brand of naptha are you all using? Alcohol is impossible to find right now. Thx

I get it at Lowes or Home Depot. They have it in quarts. I would definitely recommend it over IPA on anything that has clear, paint or ink. IPA might work fine on 20 playfields in a row, but that 21st playfield might lose paint down to the wood before you know what is happening. Either way, always start a cleaning by testing the method in a hidden spot.

#45 3 years ago

I used this product to clean 40 years of nicotine from the play field of a Gottlieb EM that had no play field glass. I had to do some scrubbing. I got the nicotine. The play field cleaned up nicely.

This stuff calls for caution when using. Wear gloves and a mask.

The usual disclaimer: Try it on a small area first. But it did not attack the paint/ink on the play field. I would use it again if the situation were to arise.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#46 3 years ago

Thx

#47 3 years ago

I'm serious about the gloves and the mask if you decide to try this stuff. Poo poo both of those and you will understand. I also would not ignore the cleaner waxes; They can pull a lot of trash from a play field. You just don't want to use cleaner waxes very often.

7 months later
    #48 3 years ago

How do you decide what level of cleaning or resurfacing to do on a machine that is “new to you”? I recently purchased a Fathom with a CPR play field. It’s in great shape, but the play field clear coat does have scratches in it. Should I use naphtha to strip it down, then novus 2, then blitz wax? Just novus 2 then wax? Just wax?

A68519ED-04BA-464F-ABBF-306DF6E50424 (resized).jpegA68519ED-04BA-464F-ABBF-306DF6E50424 (resized).jpeg
    #49 3 years ago

For any new game that’s HUO, Novus 2 and wax is all you’ll ever need. Don’t want 2? Use 1. Or Naptha. I started using Naptha as opposed to Novus 2 per Vid, but when I see fine scratches or a dimpled area, out comes the Novus 2.

Don’t forget, never clean with anything but a new, unused diaper made of 100% virgin Supina cotton. Preferably from Egypt or Turkey.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

For any new game that’s HUO, Novus 2 and wax is all you’ll ever need. Don’t want 2? Use 1. Or Naptha. I started using Naptha as opposed to Novus 2 per Vid, but when I see fine scratches or a dimpled area, out comes the Novus 2.
    Don’t forget, never clean with anything but a new, unused diaper made of 100% virgin Supina cotton. Preferably from Egypt or Turkey.

Does Novus 1 remove old wax like naphtha? On the cloth side, I have some USA made, border free Zaino cotton towels I use for car waxing I was planning on using here.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/naphtha-vs-isopropyl-for-playfield-cleaning?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.