1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Turtle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN1417 (resized).JPG
    100_0033 (resized).JPG
    100_0012 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I'm just curious what some of you think is an easy game to play, but one that is a challenge to master.

#2 1 year ago

For me, that's just about every game.

#3 1 year ago

Tron is the perfect example of easy to learn but difficult to master.

#4 1 year ago

Life. The game of life.

Pin wise, Walking Dead for me. I just now started being able to get to horde once a session after owning it for a year.

#5 1 year ago

MM/MMR. So many risky required shots to get anywhere, Trolls and castle gates, somewhat limited amount of multiballs.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

Life. The game of life.
    Pin wise, Walking Dead for me. I just now started being able to get to horde once a session after owning it for a year.

I would say that Walking Dead is one of the tougher games to learn though. I love the rules, but obvious they are not, lol.

#7 1 year ago

Maverick. It points out clearly the sets of drop targets needed to clear the poker hands. Completing enough of them to get into the poker championship is tough. I've done it only a few times, and I play five ball setting.

#10 1 year ago

Has to be rules that are easy to grasp but hard to complete.

Iron Man & Tron are perfect examples.

#12 1 year ago

Title instantly made me think early SS. Firepower is a good example to me. Very simple ruleset but not easy to get all 3 locked and start multiball... Black Knight also kicks my ass most times even though i know exactly what i'm sposed ta do lol

#13 1 year ago

Would Road Show be that type of game? Shoot shots to get enough miles to light city, then start city and repeat.

#14 1 year ago

Totally agree this is so true about AFM . I never have beaten it . Close but no cigar .

100_0012 (resized).JPG

#15 1 year ago

This is another one my some player's underestimate. There is a lot to due .And to get the whirpool to spell CREATURE for massive jackpot is so cool but hard .

100_0033 (resized).JPG

#16 1 year ago

I'm surprised there haven't been any votes for EM games. To me, Ed Krynski games deliver easy to understand, difficult to master in spades.

Case in point Gottlieb's 2001. You hit drop targets. Lots of them. That's pretty much it. But the small flippers make trapping difficult. And a single tilt voids your whole game. As you're hitting them, you notice that completing a color bank rewards you with a lane and kickout hole being lit for more points. This naturally incentivizes the player to aim for more targets. Once you light the special--if you can even make it that far--the Special lights are positioned in the most dangerous stand up targets. One wrong shot, and you're on a one way trip to DrainTown. Risk reward at it's absolute finest.

Of course, I'm biased since I own the game, but I really do think that EMs, by nature, have to be easy to understand and play, but very difficult to master.

#17 1 year ago

Star Trek because I suck but it is straight awesome!!

#18 1 year ago

Taxi always comes to mind. So simple to explain. Same with Diner. Both hard to master.

AFM and MM are the same way. But in many ways, this is pinball.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from mschonbrun:

Taxi always comes to mind. So simple to explain. Same with Diner. Both hard to master.
    AFM and MM are the same way. But in many ways, this is pinball.

I have to pull Taxi out of this category. Definitely easy to learn, but once I mastered the Gorby shot it's around the world and off to the jackpot collection nearly every game. It's so easy that its now boring for me and I hardly ever play it, but my wife won't let me part with it. I played a few games of Maverick last night and couldn't make the Poker Championship.

#20 1 year ago

no brainer WNBJM

DSCN1417 (resized).JPG

#22 1 year ago

Most of my games fall into this category:

Tron, Ironman, Avatar, Goldeneye - all very easy to understand what to do but extremely hard to master/complete.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

I'm just curious what some of you think is an easy game to play, but one that is a challenge to master.

pretty much all classic Bally decks.

What do I do? Hit these things to build bonus and spinner, then rip it up
    Mastery = always maxing bonus and ripping big point shots and ability to roll the game which just does not happen. There is a reason they are still amazing games after 35+years

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

I would say that Walking Dead is one of the tougher games to learn though. I love the rules, but obvious they are not, lol.

I must be the 2017 rain man then. For whatever reason the rules on that pin always seemed most straight forward for me. Then again, in a plot twist I could still be playing it wrong to this day.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm surprised there haven't been any votes for EM games. To me, Ed Krynski games deliver easy to understand, difficult to master in spades.
    Case in point Gottlieb's 2001. You hit drop targets. Lots of them. That's pretty much it. But the small flippers make trapping difficult. And a single tilt voids your whole game. As you're hitting them, you notice that completing a color bank rewards you with a lane and kickout hole being lit for more points. This naturally incentivizes the player to aim for more targets. Once you light the special--if you can even make it that far--the Special lights are positioned in the most dangerous stand up targets. One wrong shot, and you're on a one way trip to DrainTown. Risk reward at it's absolute finest.
    Of course, I'm biased since I own the game, but I really do think that EMs, by nature, have to be easy to understand and play, but very difficult to master.

Amen brother. A game like Surfer for example, you need to knock out the rollovers, hit the drop targets, hit a side lane or two and start hitting that fully loaded saucer. Sounds easy, but in practice it's anything but. As far as newer games go, you can't go wrong with AFM or IM.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I have to pull Taxi out of this category. Definitely easy to learn, but once I mastered the Gorby shot it's around the world and off to the jackpot collection nearly every game. It's so easy that its now boring for me and I hardly ever play it, but my wife won't let me part with it. I played a few games of Maverick last night and couldn't make the Poker Championship.

What always made Taxi a thrill for me was having to do everything in one ball. I'm not a great player, so it's still a challenge to hit the jackpot and I don't get to do that often and it does feel great to finally get it. I can totally understand that if you're a very accurate shooter that the game is shallow in that respect!

Marc

#27 1 year ago

It's Flash Gordon for me. From the get go I understood what to do but man it kills me almost every time I've played it. Still yet to top 2 million.

#29 1 year ago

Crescendo/Groovy. It's so simple it's almost stupid - hit the middle bumper nine times to light the flower inserts for 500 points each - and it's so hard it's almost infuriating. The difference between a phenomenal game and a trash game can be one extra bumper hit, but it's so satisfying if you can get that 500 going and keep it there.

#30 1 year ago

EM: Sheriff
    EE: Flash Gordon
    DMD: IM

#31 1 year ago

Bally Frontier and Flash Gordon.

#32 1 year ago

F-14. It's simple but fast.

Spell Tomcat lock ball. Spell tomcat lock ball. Spell tomcat start multiball. Lock balls during multiball for big points.

#33 1 year ago

I would say just about any Gottlieb Sys3 game I've owned since many of the modes are time based. Easy to understand and explain the rules/modes and just get to playing.

Wipeout - good luck completing Hot Doggin' to double your score - have to complete the drops and then the standups behind them and the shots are risky. Mogul event is tough to do in the time allotted too. Also want to make sure you don't start this mode until later in the game so you are trying to double 500 million instead of 500,000.

Rescue 911 - Simple rules, but again the modes are time based. Also have to set the Helicopter for manual ball release to make it tougher and more fun.

Big Hurt - actually I think I have this game down pat and may need to shorten up some mode timers. But what a fun and loaded game. A fun challenge is to go for high scores for catches, home runs, stolen bases, grand slams. Easy to understand and challenging to complete. I also like being able to play for high score or for most run. Going for runs is really fun with two players and it changes the strategy versus purely going for points. Also trying to complete the Billion orbit shots - haven't been able to do that yet or even get close.

#34 1 year ago

Ripleys believe it or not! It tells you what to do. easier said than done!

#35 1 year ago

Another vote for AFM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Electronics
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside