New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 101900)

Name the game

By boilerman

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 33 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

GEDC0019.JPG
    GEDC0018.JPG
    GEDC0017.JPG
    GEDC0016.JPG
    GEDC0015.JPG
    GEDC0012.JPG
    GEDC0011.JPG
    GEDC0009.JPG
    GEDC0008.JPG
    GEDC0007.JPG
    GEDC0006.JPG
    GEDC0005.JPG
    GEDC0003.JPG
    GEDC0002.JPG
    20140902_190031.jpg
    20140903_081810.jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

because i tried but failed
    it is a gottlieb single player
    it is a transplanted game so the bg and pf are no help.

it has the same art as cover girl but the colors are different.
    repaint is possible but it looks factory

1111.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Vid will know....

#3 6 years ago

I hope so it is driving me nuts

#4 6 years ago

It could be a sample Cover Girl cabinet. A friend picked up a Slick Chick a few years ago with red and brown art on the cabinet instead of red and blue like the production games. It's clearly a factory paint job.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

It could be a sample Cover Girl cabinet.

What the serial number on top, i.e. is it a sample game?

#6 6 years ago

I chronologically went through the pinball database as I suspect you did also. I began with Gottlieb's 1960 game, "Flipper" as that was their first departure from the woodrails and the wedgeheads began. I quit at 1977, "Jacks Open".

My guess is you're correct and its a 1962 Cover Girl. It's either been re-painted incorrectly or it may have been a prototype. And if it looks like factory paint to you, then I believe its a prototype. (AKA, engineering sample)

$$1image-2.jpg
    #7 6 years ago

Damn that Mike O.
    You gonna be at Expo, smarty pants?

Kim

#8 6 years ago

I doubt I will be at Expo, Kim.

I was at TPF in March and expect to be there again next March.

Mike O.

#9 6 years ago

there is one problem with the cover girl prototype idea.
    the coin door on cover girl is the old style and this has the newer style

image_14.jpeg
    #10 6 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

What's the serial number on the cabinet? (should be one stamped below the coin door; might have to use light and an angle to see it).

What style of backbox door does it have? (regular, inverted, with U-channel or without)

#11 6 years ago

From the latest information you have provided it looks like it may just be a quality repaint of a pattern that was much easier to replicate that still looked good with Gigi.

At first I was going to suggest looking at AAB games from this era as the donor cabinet because of the single slot coin door but see the same door on the Gigi on IPDB.

Is there any evidence of the original art pattern under the current paint? Is there any overspray on areas that shouldn't have received paint? Like on the bottom edge of the side rails? Does the paint on the outside of the cabinet match the paint on the inside of the body?

Assuming you will ultimately repaint this cabinet you may find more evidence under the current paint.

#12 6 years ago

Way to go MikeO. That field is definitely a Gigi. The coin door matches too.

#13 6 years ago

I just recently found a "Rack a Ball" that's in the correct shallow cabinet, but has a "Slick Chick" paint scheme. I have to believe it's a repaint, but it must have been done very long ago, and was done quite well. There are no serial numbers on it anywhere, and it has a "francs" coin entry plate.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I just recently found a "Rack a Ball" that's in the correct shallow cabinet, but has a "Slick Chick" paint scheme. I have to believe it's a repaint, but it must have been done very long ago, and was done quite well. There are no serial numbers on it anywhere, and it has a "francs" coin entry plate.

Sounds like a possible prototype.Post some pictures of the Rack a Ball if you can

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Sounds like a possible prototype.Post some pictures of the Rack a Ball if you can

You have of course seen it, and I'm convinced it's not a prototype game. It's not factory paint and nothing else indicates that it's a prototype. That's why I believe it's just a very good repaint done a long time ago. It could be that he original design was painted over, then somewhere along the line, someone wanted to make it look nice, but only had access to a "Slick "Chick" to model it after. Today, we take for granted the access we have to whatever information we need for any particular task we need to do. Need to see what a "Rack A Ball" cabinet is supposed to look like? Just look it up on IPDB. Years ago when I wanted to repaint a "Play Mates" I found in the trash, I had no such resource and had no idea what the cabinet was supposed to look like. Luckily, I found someone who had a sales flyer for "Domino", and he made a B&W copy for me and indicated with hand-drawn arrows what the colors should be. Now, with a few mouse clicks, I'd be able to get the cabinet design very easily.

#16 6 years ago

the head has the wood slot and the serial number is 04420
    there is not anything under the paint. so if it was a repaint the stripped the cabinet. the rails have no paint on them so they were taken off also. the rail nails are kind of different than any I have seen almost a dome type head not flat.
    the webbing was done really good also. a top notch paint job. I never seen a operator spend that much time on a repaint? wonder why. maybe a collector did it.
    the coin entry has 20frs on it and the bg is plexi in great shape so it was a export but I doubt that they had different art for export. maybe if it had a sample serial number but it doesn't

#17 6 years ago

That looks like I'm looking under the skirt of a clown I have.....I'm betting Gigi too!

PB021226.JPG
    #18 6 years ago

it is a gigi, the cabinet is what was the issue. it was repainted? or transplanted at some point

image_2.jpeg image_3.jpeg
    #19 6 years ago

Nice playfield Boilerman, are they repro caps? Can't wait to see the finished game!!

#20 6 years ago

it is all oem but the cabinet
    I could not imagine having to by 14 caps at 12 a pop WOW

#21 6 years ago

awesome shape for original caps!!

#22 6 years ago

Old school from the days when they still thought phonetic spelling was 'special'.

#23 6 years ago

tell me that that doesn't look factory..

20140902_190106.jpg
    #24 6 years ago

Sure does, over spray and all.

#25 6 years ago

Did you pick this up recently in VA? I looked at the game, and I noticed the cabinet did not have the same paint job as what ipdb pictures had. http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1003&picno=22960

I didn't get it because I am an idiot.

#26 6 years ago

Are there paper labels inside the cabinet or BB? Do they match the jumpers on the Gigi?

#27 6 years ago

The possibilities are endless.
    Since there is crackling in the white paint, it has been on there for some time. It could be possible that an Employee at Gottlieb scored a pin. The miss painted cabinet, or even a Demo Cabinet, could of sat some where un-used. The cabinet company or Gottlieb arranged the installation of the swap for the employee or contractor of Gottlieb. Hey, it is just an idea.
    The newer style door, and not the style on Cover Girl. Inside on the front panel is there evidence of extra holes with repairs? If not, then the cabinet would be newer than 1962. This goes back to some one had this cabinet painted at the factory, differently, or to their liking. This could turn out to be interesting indeed.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

The serial number does at least fall within the range for Gigi.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reddogger:

Are there paper labels inside the cabinet or BB? Do they match the jumpers on the Gigi?

there are a few labels but not many

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

This is Interesting, the serial number has been register with IPSND (International Pinball Serial Number Database).
    http://www.ipsnd.net/details.aspx?id=23781

Game: Sing Along
    Serial Number: 04420
    Submitted By: Lynn Bertera/Timothy Hulsebus
    Submit Date: 6/15/2011
    Game Part: Complete Game
    Comment: The kids still play it. It is great fun.
    SerialBot Says: Serial number matches format of a Production Game

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The possibilities are endless.
    Since there is crackling in the white paint, it has been on there for some time. It could be possible that an Employee at Gottlieb scored a pin. The miss painted cabinet, or even a Demo Cabinet, could of sat some where un-used. The cabinet company or Gottlieb arranged the installation of the swap for the employee or contractor of Gottlieb. Hey, it is just an idea.
    The newer style door, and not the style on Cover Girl. Inside on the front panel is there evidence of extra holes with repairs? If not, then the cabinet would be newer than 1962. This goes back to some one had this cabinet painted at the factory, differently, or to their liking. This could turn out to be interesting indeed.

no extra holes by the coin entry everything looks correct nothing modified
    it has me scratching my head

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

This is Interesting, the serial number has been register with IPSND (International Pinball Serial Number Database).

Gottlieb re-used the same serial number ranges on several games in the 60's.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

The webbing seems a bit heavy to me. But they did vary.

If the game was exported, it simply could have been done while overseas.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

wrong game that is for sing along
    04420 for gigi is not listed
    04090 than 04706

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Gottlieb re-used the same serial number ranges on several games in the 60's

That make sense, since the number is low. What don't you know DF -

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

image_14.jpeg 165 KB

This image that you posted also shows signs of the door edge plate, was installed at one time or other.

#37 6 years ago

Have you measured the cabinet? Gigi cabinet is a bit shorter than 64 onwards games. That would narrow cabinet down to the right year at least.

#38 6 years ago

it is shorter than the 64 onward cabinets
    it does have a paint over strike plate

#39 6 years ago

a few more pics

20140902_190031.jpg 20140902_190043.jpg 20140902_190056.jpg 20140902_190106.jpg 20140903_081747.jpg 20140903_081810.jpg
    #40 6 years ago

I am still going with a factory slip up, or special order for a relative or manager at Gottlieb. Some one did not like the side art of the Gigi.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

20140902_190106.jpg 204 KB

It doesn't look factory. The webbing is far too intense.

In that close up at least. I'll admit the others look pretty normal.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I am still going with a factory slip up, or special order for a relative or manager at Gottlieb. Some one did not like the side art of the Gigi.

I never seen proof that gottlieb did special order or custom work but I am sure it is not impossible.
    I had the intention of repainting this to the correct art but now I am leaning towards leaving it just because I like it
    the more I look at the more I am convinced It is factory paint

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Boatshoe:

Did you pick this up recently in VA? I looked at the game, and I noticed the cabinet did not have the same paint job as what ipdb pictures had. http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1003&picno=22960
    I didn't get it because I am an idiot.

yes this is the one, I want to thank you for passing on it!!! and thank tuffano for picking it up
    it has a near mint pf and bg the only minus is the cabinet but to me it really isn't a minus at all
    once shopped it will be VERY nice

now I just need to find a strange world and my want list will be down to ZERO!

#44 6 years ago

Good Luck!! Not many made, looks very interesting though.

#45 6 years ago

I found a good side picture of cover girl to compare to this and it is not exactly the same art, it is close but not the same on the cab but it looks like the head is the same

cover girl side.jpg

20140903_081747.jpg
    #46 6 years ago

Usually overseas games are made early in the production run. It has plexiglass ( which is amazing as colors don't fade and it doesn't peel like glass ) so it could have been a test and they chose what we know as Gigi colors? I would keep as is.

#47 6 years ago

But it's a deeper cab than Cover Girl had, right? So that's about where the stencil would land?

What's odd is that the cab ser# isn't near the start or end of the Gigi run. A one-off in the middle of the run?

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But it's a deeper cab than Cover Girl had, right? So that's about where the stencil would land?
    What's odd is that the cab ser# isn't near the start or end of the Gigi run. A one-off in the middle of the run?

was not thinking the cabs were different sizes just noticed that the art landed in different spots.
    so the art is the same!
    I am just going to leave it as is.. the cabinet is in good shape with good art. I will clean it up and shop it out
    I doubt we ever really know what the story is behind this odd ball. if nothing else it will be a conversation piece

#49 6 years ago

Wow. Eerily similar to the "Rack A Ball" I just got but there are no serial numbers anywhere. The cabinet paint is incorrect, but the same as "Slick Chick". Very much like your game, the paint job almost looks factory, but to me it's not. It was apparently done many years ago, and it does have a "francs" coin entry plate. It is of course not a "Slick Chick" cabinet though, because it's the shallow style which is correct for "Rack A Ball".
    I'll try to get photos of it posted.

#50 6 years ago

jr what make you think your RaB is not factory?
    this one has what I would say is factory, if is is not then it is the best vintage repaint I have ever come across

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 15.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Silverball Swag
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    € 10.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 8,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.00
    $ 6.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside