(Topic ID: 6270)

name that part!

By ruairidh

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0438.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

what is the proper name of these things?

any tips on pulling bolts out of these that are nice and stuck together without snapping the bolt or having to cut it? or how to pull to tight bolts out with out pulling these things out from underneath the PF? or should they be treated as a one time thing and when putting the bolts back in, new locking brackets too?

IMG_0438.JPGIMG_0438.JPG

#2 12 years ago
    Quoted from ruairidh:

what is the proper name of these things?

Tee nut. Can't help you on the rest of you questions.

#3 12 years ago

Tee Nuts, I think.

#4 12 years ago

If you have a screw that's jammed into one of those things, you may need to pop the whole thing out and replace both.

If you torque on it enough, you'll either break the screw, or the t-nut. Either way, the whole thing will have to be popped out.

#5 12 years ago

We ended up having to get a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the t-nut while unscrewing the bolts. We had two bolts break but the rest came out just fine, it was a pain in the but though.

#6 12 years ago

Those things can be the devil when they're locked up. It's because some of them were bolted in with a thread locking glue. Some solvents may loose them up, but other times you'll be cutting them off. It sucks.

#7 12 years ago

If the tee nut is spinning in the wood you can take a medium straight blade screw driver and tap the spikes deeper into the wood so they bite in like they are sapossed to do. If that don't work use needle nose vise grips or pliers like stated above.

#8 12 years ago

If you don't want to break the bolt, my suggestion would be to knock it down so the 'T' nut comes out from under the playfield and spray some anti-sieze spray in the thread area and leave it a few hours and see if that un-locks it... If it does, tap the 'T' nut back in place (after bending the spikes back out if they got flattened like the one in the pic) and you're done... it might be necessary to knock the 'T' nut in at a different angle so that the spikes go into virgin wood to get a better grip while tightening the bolt back in (depends of the original holes in the wood got damaged when the nut came out!)... The problem is that populatred playfields don't like to be hammered, so if it's a populated playfield you're working on, maybe press it in as hard as you can, screw the bolt in, and then use the bolt as a pulling tool from the other side to pull the spikes into the wood... Far easiest is to simply break the bolt, knock the 'T' nut out and replace them though... not easy if you don't have replacements of course!!

#9 12 years ago

thanks!

yeah, i've already snapped a couple of the bolts and after looking at them, there is a white residue which resembles some type of glue... so guess i'll pull the ones i can and replace the others. luckily i'm stripping a PF so hopefully it's just one more step in hammering them back in. the proper name for things tho is really helpful in trying search for stuff...

#10 12 years ago

These are call - PITA nuts, also known as T Nuts

#11 12 years ago

The only ones I have ever had an issue with were on my BK2K. Those were all threadlocked. Man, what a effort it was to remove them. I pretty much had to cut or break off the head of the screw and push it thru the underside of the playfield.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/name-that-part and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.