3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I recently saw a Jive Time show up on Craigslist. I thought it was a game I played as a kid, but I looked more closely, and although similar, that's not it. So I started wondering about the one I played... let's see if anyone knows... I don't...

It had a saucer in the middle, that was behind a drop target, that triggered the large spinner in the backglass. I'm certain there was an "Extra Ball" you could win in the spinner. It seems the drop target and extra ball eliminate Jive Time as the candidate.

Any other candidates?

This one was at an ice cream parlor in Penticton. Penticton was heaven for a kid that liked pinball. They were all over, with several large arcades. One day the drop target was stuck down on this game, and I played it for a long while: hitting the spinner shot and hoping for extra ball never got old! I mostly played early solid states, but remember some oddities. I got electric shocks from some older games that buzzed and sparked. I also remember some very old games that were only a nickel, and you got 5 balls, and you had to manually push in a big lever to raise the balls to the shooter lane. Anyway, I digress...

#2 3 years ago

The only backbox spinner activated by a shot up the middle behind a drop target I can think of is Cyclone which is well out of EM territory. Following the thread though since EMs with backbox spinners are sweet, I wanna know what it is too!

#3 3 years ago

Super Star and Big Star have the drop target in front of the kickout hole but not the backglass spinner.

#4 3 years ago
    #5 3 years ago

Expo has a center saucer with a spinning disc, but no drop target. Is that it?

#6 3 years ago

Like me some Cyclone, but it's definitely older than that. I've actually never made this obvious connection with the early machine I played, well done. Might explain why I liked Cyclone a lot too.

I checked the others images on IPDB, we don't have a winner yet. I think Jive Time still looks the closest. Thinking about it some more, Jive Time looks like it's only 1 player, I think I remember taking turns on the one I played. Also, I feel like the cabinet / colors were lighter than the Jive Time.

It definitely had the drop though, the next time I went, the drop was fixed, and I was ticked cause I couldn't get all the spins I did before, plus hitting the drop center would result in SDTM!

Keep the guesses coming!

#7 3 years ago

Games with spinners in the backglass are few and far between. Beat The Clock had one but not the other features you mention.

Bally didn't use drop targets until 1975 so that narrows that down. Gottlieb didn't start using them until 1970 and most of theirs used banks of more than one. So that leaves Williams and Chicago Coin. Williams was more known for single drop target bank. I can't think of a game from either of them that has all the features you mention. Maybe it's one of those foreign games.

But good luck.

#8 3 years ago

Gtb HI-DIVER, and others in that era, have a backbox spinning disc.

#9 3 years ago

It doesn't seem you can search by features like "Mechanically Animated Backglass" on IPDB or this would be easier. I'll find it eventually.

#10 3 years ago

Do you remember when you played it? Did it have two inch or three inch flippers? That would narrow it down a bit. Although it sounds like the combination of two different games you are looking for.

#11 3 years ago

Cabaret has a selector disk on the upper left of the playfield and an extra score reel in the backglass for bonus and a kickout hole in the center of the playfield but no drop target.

#12 3 years ago

Hey, that's a funky one, not it though.

I'm convinced my memories are right as far as the saucer, drop, and spinner. The other stuff I'm stretching, and might have conflated the extra ball from Cyclone with the older machine. But you know how memory is. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure this was all early 80's... The solid state I definitely remember playing at the same time was Gorgar...

#13 3 years ago

There is a spinner in the center of Stardust and Straight Flush and some others used a roulette type wheel.

#14 3 years ago

Checked IPDB again, advanced search does have option to use Mechanically Animated Backbox.

Ha, I probably sent you guys on a wild goose chase. I studied Jive Time again since it's the closest fit. I looked closer at the upper playfield this time. The duplicate saucer and rollover at the top seem real familiar. I'm thinking it was Jive Time after all.

I guess there was something else wrong with the lower saucer, like it wasn't activating the spinner or something, and sometimes ejected straight down. Either that or I mixed up some memories of playing cyclone.

Damn, I should have jumped on that Jive Time on Craigslist! I like the gate features on the spinning wheel too. That also seems real familiar now that I think about it.

#15 3 years ago

Don't worry about the goose chase. I've spent hours combing IPDB looking for what I might want next. Just when I thought I'd seen it all, a buddy calls me up with one that got by me. Can't wait to play this one.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2407

#16 3 years ago

Oh, you EM guys are so easy going... nice to chill in here... I might have to go pick up that Jive Time and join the club. It's still available, but further away than I thought it was.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Beat The Clock

Thinking Beat the Clock as well.

#18 3 years ago

Beat the Clock looks cool! I want to play that. I like the novelty that was going on in the EM era! 4-mini flippers... ha...

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

... nice to chill in here...

Yep. Pretty relaxing huh?. I'm just chilling at work with the AC on now as it must be 90 degrees out. Not too many customers today. Any more relaxed and I would need a pillow.

#20 3 years ago

About 20* here, and getting colder. Maybe -0* Saturday night. Brrrrr!!!!

#21 3 years ago

The grass is always greener...another day of this and I may just dry up.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I think Jive Time still looks the closest.

Jive Time does sort of fit what you are stating.

1 week later
    #23 3 years ago

kick out hole behind drop target pins (but no award spinner)
    Pretty Baby and Honey

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    £ 75.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 49.00
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 35.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.99
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    The Flipper Room
    $ 29.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside