4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by G-P-E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20200918-003953_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    20200917_230748 (resized).jpg
    20200917_230603 (resized).jpg
    20200917_230700 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

Hi, looking for an y-splitter for this connector (100V from transformer secondary on Flintstones).

What is the connector called? Some kind of Molex..?

20200917_230700 (resized).jpg20200917_230748 (resized).jpg20200917_230603 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 months ago

Looks like a molex .093 2 pin connector it's going to be that or a .062 those are the 2 commonly used in pinball (or a .084 but not in WPC era IIRC)

Great plains electronics sells the parts you would have to build a Y connector though, not too hard with some wire and the crimper.

#3 4 months ago

Molex housing p/n 0003091022 for the female
    Molex housing p/n 0003092022 for the male

For the pins:
    Female Molex p/n 0002091104
    Male Molex p/n 0002092103

#4 4 months ago

Thank you for this! Seems like they are hard to find in Europe. Import duties from other countries will cost too much.

Maybe "hooking up" on the wires instead of splitting the cable is better. Something like these (wonder if they can handle 100V 5A). Anyone tried these?

Screenshot_20200918-003953_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #5 4 months ago

I want to be able to restore the pin in the future, that's why i prefer to buy/build an y cable. Hm..

#6 4 months ago
    Quoted from ravve:

I want to be able to restore the pin in the future, that's why i prefer to buy/build an y cable. Hm..

Pinsider G-P-E has all the connectors you might need, at good prices.

#7 4 months ago

G-P-E lives in the states? The import duties from the states is minimun like 15 USD. Shipmemt is surely about 15-20, so there u have 40 usd just for handeling the package :/

#8 4 months ago

Sad but true, so much for free trade.

There are a few parts resellers in the EU. Try here:
    https://www.pinball.center/en/

Connectors:
    03-09-1022
    03-09-2022

Contacts:
    02-09-1104
    02-09-2103

Please don't use the blue splice - that is what we call a "Kludge".

Ed (G-P-E)

#9 4 months ago

Thanks G-P-E! 25 euro incl. shipment is better, though still a bit too high but I guess that will do
    Just a curious thought, does any other connector fits in this or must it be the above mentioned product-numbers? Maybe 2 single connectors, one on each pin, or something like that? Trying to find a way to fix this over this weekend if possible, my plan B will be to order the above - so thank you

#10 4 months ago

Maybe it is simplier to find an y-cable for the molex connector on the driver board, named J605 (this is where the cables goes)?

#11 4 months ago

I managed to make an OK y cable from standard molex Housings like the ones used in PCs.

Now I’m confused about the cable in the picture. It is coming from the transformer and delivers 110v. The 2 pins should be live (L) and neutral (N) i suppose, but How do I know which is which?

Both are showing same value (45 VAC) when measured against ground (on cabinet).

#12 4 months ago

There is no hot/neutral for this particular connection and there is no reference ground. This voltage has to be measured between the two AC leads.

Curious - why are you splitting the 100VAC supply going to the DMD power?

#13 4 months ago

Thanks, great to know! Is this called anything particular so that I can google and learn more? I would love to understand this

I am taking power to a power supply that gives the 12v my pin2dmd needs. Wanted to have it on external supply.

#14 4 months ago

On the power supply, there is N, L and Ground as 100V inputs. So as I understand, it shouldnt matter which of the two leads goes on the N and L?

#15 4 months ago

OK, I now understand - you are using this for a 100VAC to 12VDC adapter.

Regarding the 2 pin connector above that has the purple wires (100VAC outputs from transformer) - this connection won't have a Hot versus Neutral connection at this point. But hopefully the power supply you have picked out doesn't have neutral tied to ground internally. Most modern supplies do not do have these tied together.
    Also, this transformer output does not have a high amount of current output. Make sure you aren't overloading the current output from the transformer. See the fuse on the existing DMD controller for an approximation of output limit.

#16 4 months ago

Thanks! Are u sure About the limited current on this connector? I mean, it supplies the dmd controller board with 100V yes, but... the two fuses on the dmd board are only 3/8A, but these are for the outgoing 62v and 113/125v so I am not sure that the limit is 3/8A?

I Connected The pin2dmd yesterday which draws about 3-5A, seems ok. Should I be rethinking?

#17 4 months ago

Absolutely sure. If you draw too much current from the 100V transformer output then you run the risk of burning up the output windings. They were fused at 3/8 amps. Based on this rating, I cannot imagine they can output much more than one amp without damage.

If you are using an inefficient linear type supply to provide power to the pin2dmd then the 3-5A load will burn your windings. But, linear supplies are not common any longer.

If you are using a switching type supply and you measured 3 to 5 amps at the pindmd then you are probably drawing less than 3-5 amps from the 100VAC source. With a 5V, 5A load then you are sourcing 25 watts. Assuming an 80% or better efficiency then you are drawing 25/.8 or about 32 watts from the source. With a 100VAC source then the current load would be about 0.31 amps.

It all depends on what power supply you are using. Who's power supply are you using?

#18 3 months ago

g-p-e thank i so much for this great info, I learned a lot!!
    The reason I chose to connect to this cable was that I read about some people that connected their pin2dmd to J605, which is fed by the cable I am connecting to.

I havent measured the current but according to specs the pin2dmd operates at 5A (input 12v).

I am using a power supply from 1994, but now that i read ur info i will order a new one.

Ive only tried for a minute and it worked, but wont dare to turn it on again until new supply is in place.

Is there another better place to get the 110v??

#19 3 months ago

Getting voltage from J605 will work but you just need to make sure you have the correct power supply - switching that will work with 100VAC and with 80% or better efficiency. Rare to find one that is less than 80% anylonger. A lot of the newer power supplies will work with anything from 100VAC to 240VAC.

You could also use a 220VAC to 12VDC power supply and source the voltage from the output of the AC power switch.

Does the pin2dmd have a recommended input current value or does it just list it's operating current?

#20 3 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

You could also use a 220VAC to 12VDC power supply and source the voltage from the output of the AC power switch.

I was just thinking of that, connecting to the main line voltage instead. where is the best/easiest way to do that? Preferably without involving special connectors

I am asking for future games, for this one i will just go with my current solution with a new power supply. Btw, is there any way to know if my 1994 power supply is switched or linear?

Thx

#21 3 months ago

You can tap off the output side of the main power switch for your 220VAC.

No way to tell anything about the 1994 power supply - it could be either. Probably about a 90% chance of being a switching supply and a 10% chance of being a linear. It would take some research to figure out which one it is. Today - you can also buy linear or switching supplies. Most people will tell you which it is along with efficiency.
    One thing to consider - your 1994 power supply already has 26 year old capacitors in it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 289.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.00
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 25.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside