Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by 27dnast
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Some machines are sufficiently unique and attractive that they draw in people who do not normally play pinball. Here is my experience:

- Wizard of Oz (must be the theme and the LCD monitor)
- Revenge From Mars (probably the video)
- Stern Star Trek (probably the white LED lighting)

What is your experience?

#2 10 years ago

Wcs94 shoot for the goaaaaaal

#3 10 years ago

Just had a couple of non-pinheads over yesterday. I've found the best way to introduce
people that are not into the hobby is to start with basic machines and include some
history. Played these machines in this order; 1932 Mills Official, 1934 Big Broadcast,
1940 Formation, 1958 Turf Champ, 1969 Target Pool, 1976 Aztec & Capt Fantasic,
1978 Sinbad, Black Hole, DE Simpsons and finally ST:TNG. They were over for a
couple of hours and seemed to enjoy themselves.
Steve

#4 10 years ago

Scared Stiff and had some guys over the other night and they loved Dr Who.

#5 10 years ago

In my house, AC/DC and Attack From Mars always do the trick. My cousin's husband never liked pinball, but I think he logged darn near 100 plays on Attack From Mars over the weekend that they visited. AC/DC also is a real crowd pleaser with casual or generally disinterested people.

I've also seen Monster Bash, The Simpsons, and Lord of the Rings get non-pinheads excited, both kids and adults.

#6 10 years ago

kiss.

many people remember seeing the machine somewhere over the years. people just remember it and bally made quite a few of them

#7 10 years ago

I'll agree with Kiss, actually. My bosses have asked me to get a pinball machine for the office, and that's one that all three remember and have put into the pool of games to seek out.

#8 10 years ago

TOTAN tends to get a lot of love from non-pinheads.

#9 10 years ago

Goldeneye, most people loke Bond stuff

Metallica.. great PF visually

ToM... fun for chicks and newb's alike

An easyish,busy and faster EM, with cool art...

Early multiball SS games with speach and sound, with cool art..

#10 10 years ago

T2 is another that newbs gravitate twords

#11 10 years ago

I find that older machines with simple rule sets really help non-pinheads...most people dont realize there are ANY rules except don't lose the ball...but when you can get them used to an easy set of rules, they will appreciate the more complex ones.

#12 10 years ago

RFM and Joust. "Altering the perception" of people is pretty extreme, so it takes something with real surprise and wow-factor to pull this off.

As far as simply engaging non-pinheads, Super Mario Bros and Stargate do that more than my Bally/Williams titles.

Great Sterns with recognizable themes like LOTR, SM, TSPP will be hit or miss depending on the person.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 10 years ago

I think the greatest thing to draw new people in is to explain that there are actually rules to the games. Most people have the perception that pinball is just keeping the ball in play, and that the longer you do that, the higher your score will be.

It's surprising to most people that games have complex rule sets. Once people start to understand and follow the lights, lock balls, increase multipliers etc etc, ALL games start to have more appeal.

I find, just a few suggestions about what to shoot for goes a long way. The number of times I've heard, "Wait, you're actually AIMING for certain things??!" Is astounding to me.

I've been having mostly non pinheads over a lot lately. Everybody is having a blast. We've been playing their 3 combined scores against my one. It's pretty fun actually.

I've got one on the hunt for a SM now. That's progress!

#14 10 years ago

ToM is a favorite for new folks as is Diner.

#15 10 years ago

metallica for my group. We are mid 30's so for them this is really one of the first they could really relate to.

#16 10 years ago

Family Guy gets a lot of interest from non-pinheads

#17 10 years ago

I see a lot of really great titles, but I'm really interested in the idea of converting someone who is already prejudiced against pinball. What does it take to challenge the prejudice?

Joust is different enough to catch someone's attention. It seems that truly original ideas in pinball are fairly rare.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I see a lot of really great titles, but I'm really talking about converting someone who is already prejudiced against pinball. What does it take to challenge the prejudice?
Joust is different enough to catch someone's attention.

If they like the Tron...it would do the trick, with Eli's mod for sure

#20 10 years ago

I say Fishtales becuase it gave me the bug, as a child I was more of a hit both flippers and keep the ball alive player.

#21 10 years ago

I will second Fishtales. My motherinlaw was totally addicted to that game before I sold it...she would never really play any of the other pins I've ever owned...

#22 10 years ago

Royal Rumble Draws them in also...

#23 10 years ago

I had a couple of non-pinheads over a couple of days ago. The most memorable quote of the night was "wow, I haven't played or even seen a pinball machine in over twenty years." That being said, they were more drawn to the themes and gravitated specifically to TAF, STLE, and POTC. Needless to say, everyone had a blast.

#24 10 years ago

This!!

The OP is looking for "perception-altering" pins that could turn someone from negative/meh to then becoming interested in the hobby.

Most suggestions here are just fun games that an already open-minded person might like, but that probably aren't going to alter a non-pinhead's perception.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#25 10 years ago

Funhouse. Way back in the day it drew in a lot of people, simply from Rudy. Even now, when friends ask what games I have, EVERYONE remembers playing funhouse. Simply one of the greatest toys ever stuck into a game. (if not the greatest, and certainly was at that point in time!)

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

Most suggestions here are just fun games that an already open-minded person might like, but that probably aren't going to alter a non-pinhead's perception.

Yes!

Maybe it's just me, but I know lots of people who, in the presence of a conventional pinball machine set to free play, can't be bothered to try a single game.

#27 10 years ago

NBA Fastbreak is a perfect example. The concept of shooting baskets with a pinball is immediately clear, and the scoring reflects standard basketball scores. The NBAFB I keep at my office has absolutely hooked more than a few non-pinball players. It may not be the most well-regarded pin within the pinhead circle, but it's a crowd pleaser and a joy to play.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

This!!
The OP is looking for "perception-altering" pins that could turn someone from negative/meh to then becoming interested in the game/hobby.

They first see pac man and that draws them in then they are intrigued by the whole pinball part of it and it is a machine anyone can play and have fun. It always draws them in.

#29 10 years ago

My brother loves Star Trek (Stern) and The Avengers because of the machines' theme. He now plays them (along with TAF occasionally) every time we are at Lanes & Games.

#30 10 years ago

Girls love TOTAN. That's what I've found.

#31 10 years ago

Non-pinheads like Champion Pub a lot. All the gimmicks in that game are appealing.

Now, if I was trying to teach someone to appreciate pinball because there are actually rules and it's more than just keeping the ball from draining, I start on Gorgar or a similar straightforward and relatively simple pin. People love TAF, but that game is pretty unforgiving and can quickly frustrate people.

#32 10 years ago

Since non-pinheads are atttracted to video:
WOZ, RFM, SWE1, Baby Pacman, and Hyperpin.

#33 10 years ago

I have a small collection but POTC is the first game everyone plays.

#34 10 years ago

Games like MM, MB, and PoTC get new players engaged. Also, early solid state games like KISS and Evel Knievel seem to pull people in based on the theme and simple layouts.

#35 10 years ago

People really liked my EBD when I had it. It got more play by non pinheads than my more flashy & newer titles did. I could never fully explain why this was. Easy objectives I guess, that are clearly laid out in front of you.

#36 10 years ago

LOTR. People like the theme, see the Balrog, and want to play.

#37 10 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/name-machines-that-can-alter-the-perception-of-non-pinheads and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.