(Topic ID: 276604)

Name Change. Know anyone who has changed their name?

By dirkdiggler

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dragnet (resized).jpg
    FCFED713-5E26-46A9-8B0E-8C70B27993E9.jpeg
    A2273B3D-F71E-4E94-AFCC-FFC04EA97F8D (resized).png
    KGrHqIOKo0FHYBhqvCVBR5NF7LkhQ_60_1 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Talking with my brother the other night and he says "I'm thinking of changing my name, I've never liked my name"

I thought he was joking but is very serious about it. Maybe it's because he's going thru a separation or mid life crisis? I'm not sure

Who at 48 decides to change their name? And would you call that person by their new name? Has anyone here changed their name legally?

#2 3 years ago

I did years ago but it was forced due to the witness protection program.

#3 3 years ago

Can't he just go buy a sports car or something?

#4 3 years ago

Let's hope he's not thinking the Bruce Jenner route....

#5 3 years ago

I have a family member that did it... but they went the "Bruce Jenner" route and I don't think that's what you are asking.

#6 3 years ago

Like STR8CASH to dirkdiggler?

#7 3 years ago

Is he open to suggestions?

KGrHqIOKo0FHYBhqvCVBR5NF7LkhQ_60_1 (resized).jpegKGrHqIOKo0FHYBhqvCVBR5NF7LkhQ_60_1 (resized).jpeg

#8 3 years ago

I have an aunt that did it at about age 50. Just because. She was the same person the day after as she had been the day before and it gave her some level of satisfaction that was her business. Whatever. Live and let live.

#9 3 years ago

Seemed to work out ok for Mr. Ali and Mr. Abdul-Jabbar. Even people who don't go through legal name changes often are called different things in like... a Mikey might become a Mike or maybe even a Michael. Really not worth worrying about. If someone goes though the trouble of a legal name change, seems like insisting upon using the former name has no value other than the projection of pettiness.

#10 3 years ago

Bill Dirklebottom absolutely hated his name.

So he changed it to Tom Dirklebottom.

#12 3 years ago

I took in a child years ago..he wanted our last name to feel kin to the family, his choice..probably the right one for him.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

He can always go with Mike Hunt

Richard Biggins

#16 3 years ago

I've had 2 friends change their last name.

First, had a broken home, with a drunk asshole father. He wanted nothing to do with his father so changed his name from D Johnson to D Cody.

Second, came from a loving home, but he was a very short guy and was picked on all through school. Changed his name form M wigglesworth to M Williams.

#17 3 years ago

My friend at social security recommended not doing so since it basically throws wrenches into everything you do that involves legal documents. Informally changing your name much better.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Informally changing your name much better.

I guess I also know 2 people hat have done this also.

First, his parents unfortunately (They didn’t know) gave him the same name a serial killer, so he uses his middle name.

Second, he said on his first day of high school there were 4 people in his class with the same first name, so he started going by his middle name.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I guess I also know 2 people hat have done this also.
    First, his parents unfortunately (They didn’t know) gave him the same name a serial killer, so he uses his middle name.
    Second, he said on his first day of high school there were 4 people in his class with the same first name, so he started going by his middle name.

let me guess "Mike "
    '

#20 3 years ago

He's not changing his last name, just the first. Weird cause he's a well known graphic artist and designer. Does he change his signature also?

Hopefully me laughing at him and coming up with nicknames during our chat will change his mind but he says he's been thinking about it for a while.

#23 3 years ago

I met a Vietnamese girl once named Mai Ho. I was tempted to ask her out. The introductions alone would've been worth it.

#24 3 years ago

Fred on the Howard Stern show changed his name to eric but everyone still calls him Fred.

A2273B3D-F71E-4E94-AFCC-FFC04EA97F8D (resized).pngA2273B3D-F71E-4E94-AFCC-FFC04EA97F8D (resized).png

#25 3 years ago

FCFED713-5E26-46A9-8B0E-8C70B27993E9.jpegFCFED713-5E26-46A9-8B0E-8C70B27993E9.jpeg

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Talking with my brother the other night and he says "I'm thinking of changing my name, I've never liked my name"
    I thought he was joking but is very serious about it. Maybe it's because he's going thru a separation or mid life crisis? I'm not sure
    Who at 48 decides to change their name? And would you call that person by their new name? Has anyone here changed their name legally?

I opened this thinking you had developed an issue with Mark Wahlberg and were changing your handle on here, lol!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Know anyone who has changed their name?

Everyone who appeared on Dragnet.
    Dragnet (resized).jpgDragnet (resized).jpg

#28 3 years ago

I'd like to change mine to Tee Kay Fourtwone

#29 3 years ago

It didn't work out very well for Yusuf Islam. Remember him? Of course not because everyone knew him as Cat Stevens so eventually he had to change it to Yusuf/Cat Stevens. Even that wasn't his given name. He was born Steven Demetre Georgiou on 21 July 1948.

Man that Cat was confused.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Weird cause he's a well known graphic artist and designer

This alone seems like reason enough to not want to change his name, at least not legally, as it will just cause confusion. As others have stated, lots of legitimate/good reasons for wanting to change your name but if you'd really rather someone call you something different, rather than your given name, then just start telling people to please call me Tony (or whatever he wants to be called). It'll be easier with people he's just meeting for the first time and in his graphic art/design world he can be Dirk "Tony" Diggler and just tell people he'd prefer to be called Tony. That way nothing legal needs to be done but he can basically give himself a nickname and be called whatever he'd like.

#31 3 years ago

An ex-BIL and his wife both changed their last name; his birth name was laugh-out-loud-in-your-face bad, and they changed before their first-born got old enough that they'd have to tell him what his name _really_ was.

My maternal grandmother changed the spelling of her middle name when she was 18.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

let me guess "Mike "
    '

One was mike the other was Paul

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Paging CaptainNeo

The director of the trades school I went to was, and I shit you not, Harry Balls.

Not Harrison, it was Harry. I cannot believe, even way back in the 30’s, they did not think “Harry Balls” was a bad name.
    When he gave a speech at a benefits dinner and it astounded me everyone in the room was able to keep it together for Director Harry Balls.

#34 3 years ago

I actually have a just case for changing my name...not for vanity

Apparently someone with my same name is some type of terrorist or international cartel member

This has led to banking hardships in my life for almost 20 years

1st time was an escrow set to close and when the loan went in for underwriting it was rejected due to terrorist ties...took several days to clear it up and almost lost the house deal

2nd time was when someone wired me $$ for a car deal...again rejected, bank actually told my buyer that I was a bad guy...again took several days to clear up...almost lost the car deal

3rd time PayPal froze my account due to international terrorism...PayPal gal on the phone said she had never even seen such a thing...took me weeks of back and forth identity verification to clear that up

At this point I’m crippled and shell shocked from this pain and suffering and run everything financial through my wife

Talked to my FBI buddy and asked if there was anything he could do...he said “Nope, Change your name”

#35 3 years ago

I had a friend change his name from "Joey" to "Justin"
    we all called him -Justin Secure- from then on, don't think it played out the way he thought it would.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Apparently someone with my same name is some type of terrorist or international cartel member
    1st time was an escrow set to close and when the loan went in for underwriting it was rejected due to terrorist ties...took several days to clear it up and almost lost the house deal
    2nd time was when someone wired me $$ for a car deal...again rejected, bank actually told my buyer that I was a bad guy...again took several days to clear up...almost lost the car deal
    3rd time PayPal froze my account due to international terrorism...PayPal gal on the phone said she had never even seen such a thing...took me weeks of back and forth identity verification to clear that up
    At this point I’m crippled and shell shocked from this pain and suffering and run everything financial through my wife
    Talked to my FBI buddy and asked if there was anything he could do...he said “Nope, Change your name”

Would throwing in a middle initial (or name) help?

I had the hardest time getting one bank to recognize that two accounts were mine--one had my middle initial on it, and one didn't.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Would throwing in a middle initial (or name) help?
    I had the hardest time getting one bank to recognize that two accounts were mine--one had my middle initial on it, and one didn't.

I honestly can’t remember the paperwork it’s been so long...I’m assuming my middle name was on at least one of those blocked transactions

Knowing me, I would probably change my name to Meno Terrorist and probably get myself into even more deep shit.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Credit agencies collect as much information as possible, they don’t care if it’s accurate.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/name-change-know-anyone-who-has-changed-their-name?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.