(Topic ID: 170935)

Name a brand or product that exceeded your expectations

By hardware

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

S54 Exploded (resized).jpg
    s54b32 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 11.45.44 AM (resized).png
    ranger (resized).jpg
    IMG_0415 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0414 (resized).PNG
    Hyperlite (resized).jpg
    ar9 (resized).jpg
    dh500 (resized).jpg
    david-transparent (resized).jpg
    IMG_0380 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0600 (resized).JPG
    nuwave (resized).jpg
    CQpJc9oVAAAB6Zy.0 (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2628 (resized).JPG

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Stern Pinball.

Just kidding.

Hey, made in the USA

#152 7 years ago

Case IH combine and Mac Don draper head

IMG_0600 (resized).JPGIMG_0600 (resized).JPG

#153 7 years ago

RCBS and Dillon reloading equipment. Flawless no questions asked customer service with replacement parts sent free when needed.

On the pinball side, loving the Pinnovators sub/headphone kits I purchased this year. Will have those on all my pins soon. Quality with quick easy install.

#154 7 years ago

Tekton Pendragon speakers, for $2.5k nothing else I've heard comes close.

http://www.tektondesign.com/pendragon.html

U.S. made, outstanding customer service, and as good as anything I've heard for under $10k. They are great with all musical genres, everything from Chopin to Gorgoroth. They are somewhat unique in that they are highly efficient without any horn-loading and can be driven to realistic SPLs even with just a few watts, so they are a great match for low-powered tube and class "D" amps; I drive them with a 40 watt tube amp and they will play stuff like "Live at Leeds" and "Weld" at gut-punching levels with no additional sub needed.

IMG_0380 (resized).JPGIMG_0380 (resized).JPG

#155 7 years ago

I love my XL Green Egg

david-transparent (resized).jpgdavid-transparent (resized).jpg

#156 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ninja coffee bar system:
    Have used a keurig for about the past 8 years (went through 3 of them). This last one still worked, but coffee always tasted crappy (even though we stopped using throw away pods and used the re-usable basket and our own grinds). Thought about buying the $200 OXO because it has infusion drip and highly rated. Then the Ninja commercial popped up which seemed to be the same thing, but also had a motorized frother that swings out on the left, and had adjustments for various blends. First morning using it and it's the first homebrew coffee I've had that didn't taste bitter.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ninja-coffee-bar-10-cup-coffeemaker-black-stainless/5578138.p?skuId=5578138

My girlfriend and I are debating about this one as she was hooked from info commercials as well, but now she is debating

#157 7 years ago

Anyone here have a Jura Coffee machine? Thinking about getting one.

#158 7 years ago

For a professional Barista experience, I highly recommend the Rancilio Silvia Espresso machine. This is the most popular entry level machine for learning how to make a REAL espresso. Made in Italy, ALL parts are professional grade and user-serviceable (replaceable). It has a real brass boiler, a real steam wand, and a professional sized portafilter. This is a REAL espresso machine! No "cheater syphon wands", no "cheater pressurized portafilters", No BS. But be warned, you WILL need to pair this machine with a professional BURR grinder (e.g. Rancilio Rocky or Baratza Vario grinder) and you WILL need to purchase coffee beans that have been locally roasted (not grocery store crap beans). But like I said, this is for people who want REAL espresso and the full barista "experience". Much like Pinball, this is a hobby where you can get much "further down the rabbit hole". For example, once you master grinding, espresso, cappuccino, and lattes, you might (as I have) try roasting your own coffee beans! This is (in my opinion) where things will get waaaaay more interesting! . Anyone interested in how to Roast coffee beans, check out Sweet Maria's website:

https://www.sweetmarias.com

Special Note: If you just want a kick ass espresso with no effort, just buy a Nespresso. Nespresso is by far the best way for a regular dude to make an espresso at home.

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

Case IH combine and Mac Don draper head

No idea what a draper head was, ended up spending an hour watching youtube videos. Now I know about the Deere flex draper versus Mac Don, how to put a Mac Don into transport, etc.

-E

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

For a professional Barista experience, I highly recommend the Rancilio Silvia Espresso machine. This is the most popular entry level machine for learning how to make a REAL espresso. Made in Italy, ALL parts are professional grade and user-serviceable (replaceable). It has a real brass boiler, a real steam wand, and a professional sized portafilter. This is a REAL espresso machine! No "cheater syphon wands", no "cheater pressurized portafilters", No BS. But be warned, you WILL need to pair this machine with a professional BURR grinder (e.g. Rancilio Rocky or Baratza Vario grinder) and you WILL need to purchase coffee beans that have been locally roasted (not grocery store crap beans). But like I said, this is for people who want REAL espresso and the full barista "experience". Much like Pinball, this is a hobby where you can get much "further down the rabbit hole". For example, once you master grinding, espresso, cappuccino, and lattes, you might (as I have) try roasting your own coffee beans! This is (in my opinion) where things will get waaaaay more interesting! . Anyone interested in how to Roast coffee beans, check out Sweet Maria's website:
    https://www.sweetmarias.com
    Special Note: If you just want a kick ass espresso with no effort, just buy a Nespresso. Nespresso is by far the best way for a regular dude to make an espresso at home.

Thanks for the info and tips. I'll have to check that out. I do have a great place where I live that roasts their own beans.

https://muletowncoffee.com/

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Tekton Pendragon speakers, for $2.5k nothing else I've heard comes close.
    http://www.tektondesign.com/pendragon.html
    U.S. made, outstanding customer service, and as good as anything I've heard for under $10k. They are great with all musical genres, everything from Chopin to Gorgoroth. They are somewhat unique in that they are highly efficient without any horn-loading and can be driven to realistic SPLs even with just a few watts, so they are a great match for low-powered tube and class "D" amps; I drive them with a 40 watt tube amp and they will play stuff like "Live at Leeds" and "Weld" at gut-punching levels with no additional sub needed.

Now on sale for $2000.

I'll definitely have to check these out.

Going way back to the 80's I can definitely say the Hafler DH-500 and Acoustic Research AR-9's exceeded my expectations:

dh500 (resized).jpgdh500 (resized).jpg
    ar9 (resized).jpgar9 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #162 7 years ago

Probably a Nissan Maxima I've got nearly 300,000 miles on with virtually no issues other than tires, breaks and front axels. And my 2009 MacBook Pro 17"... Both brands have exceeded my expectations more than once.

#163 7 years ago

Brooks Ghost 9 running shoes.

9 months later
    #164 6 years ago

Hyperlite Ultamid Tent
    Under 1LB!

Hyperlite (resized).jpgHyperlite (resized).jpg

#165 6 years ago

Gottlieb EM pins

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

LG HDTVs.
    I've had other brands fail after a couple years, but LG stuff just seems to keep on chugging well past the warranty period.

I agree.I only buy LG T.V's .Never had a problem yet.I have 3.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Anyone here have a Jura Coffee machine? Thinking about getting one.

Oops...got my brands mixed up.

If you want a crazy coffee machine/grinder/espresso/cappuccino/flavor maker, check out the de jong duke coffee machine. Recently experienced one at a factory I service. Oh man, would love to have this at home.

#168 6 years ago

As for products:

Scrub Daddy
    Breville Coffee Maker
    401 Bleach (contributed by the missus)
    Speed Queen Washer
    Rhoomba
    Sonos
    100% Latex Mattress (after trying every conceivable mattress for the past 20 years for my bad back)
    My 2 post Lift I installed in my garage...best investment ever for a car junky with a bad back

#169 6 years ago

Hmmm. New Balance's made in USA line of shoes. For years I bought Nike's, no more. The made in USA New Balances feel great and last at least twice as long. Also, Dr. Marten's made in England shoes. Very high quality, durable and they last a long time.

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hmmm. New Balance's made in USA line of shoes. For years I bought Nike's, no more. The made in USA New Balances feel great and last at least twice as long. Also, Dr. Marten's made in England shoes. Very high quality, durable and they last a long time.

I love New Balance shoes but I have too.They're the only ones that come in 4E to fit my wide feet.

#171 6 years ago

My Weber Genesis grill. I prefer charcoal, but for weeknight grilling it is great. Best propane grill I've used and gets wicked ass hot. Just pure quality even down to the packaging.

#172 6 years ago

Logitech Harmony One remote. Wonderful remote with excellent configuration software.

#174 6 years ago

JB weld. Just use it properly and it's solid. Awsome.
    Rainex. Really works, lasts a long time for me.
    Stihl chainsaw. I miss mine, Poulon doesn't come close.
    Michelin. Maybe just the old ones? I have some 20 yr old tires
    and still no cracks.
    C6P package on a GM cargo van. We would load 2 tons on them continually
    and couldn't break them. (Please don't tell on me.) Here again, maybe
    they don't make them like they used to.
    Goodyear GSC tires. Never a wobble. Z truly means "unlimited"

#175 6 years ago

Mountain Khaki brand ; Canyon Cords ( corduroy pants). Stretch cords/ deep pockets and so comfortable you will want to sleep in them!

IMG_0414 (resized).PNGIMG_0414 (resized).PNG

#176 6 years ago

I thought this was shark tank hype, but that thing scrubs great and lasts forever. The material isn't proprietary, you can buy knockoffs just like the magic eraser.

#177 6 years ago

Garretts cheese popcorn. Honestly, if I were on death row, this would be my requested last meal.

IMG_0415 (resized).PNGIMG_0415 (resized).PNG

#178 6 years ago

LEDOCD, no kidding. And the PinSound board. Almost everything else, from cars to stereo equipment, to wine has disappointed of late. Only those pinball add-one and our art collection have done the favours lately.

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinpast:

Michelin. Maybe just the old ones? I have some 20 yr old tires and still no cracks.

You're welcome. I was an engineer at the Michelin plant that makes all the rubber compound and radial wire for all north American tires 27 years ago

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

As for products:
    Scrub Daddy
    Breville Coffee Maker
    401 Bleach (contributed by the missus)
    Speed Queen Washer
    Rhoomba
    Sonos
    100% Latex Mattress (after trying every conceivable mattress for the past 20 years for my bad back)
    My 2 post Lift I installed in my garage...best investment ever for a car junky with a bad back

SPEED QUEEN! The best washing machines you can buy.

#181 6 years ago

Apple

#182 6 years ago

Toyota - die hard Chevrolet/GM fan here and switched to Toyota about 12 years ago. Change the motor oil and brakes and that's it.

Speed Queen - about 4 years ago finally got fed up with washing machines that break after two years of service and then researched this brand. Wife was pissed that I "made her" buy it and now she intentionally overloads it all the time to try and break it. So far it has held up against her wrath. So the hype is true, its a great machine made on yesterdays design.

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

Toyota - die hard Chevrolet/GM fan here and switched to Toyota about 12 years ago. Change the motor oil and brakes and that's it.
    Speed Queen - about 4 years ago finally got fed up with washing machines that break after two years of service and then researched this brand. Wife was pissed that I "made her" buy it and now she intentionally overloads it all the time to try and break it. So far it has held up against her wrath. So the hype is true, its a great machine made on yesterdays design.

I overload the crap out of mine. It has a 10 year manufactures warranty so I'm covered

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

My current car is a scion, my last car was a corolla with 192k miles (biggest issue was misfires in a couple cylinders). Drove fine, but burned oil like crazy (no leaks). My only complaint about toyota is that they don't innovate (both in body style and interior features). My wife and her whole family are deep toyota fans, but last year she switched to a mazda CX5. For less money than equivalent RAV4 money, she got better styling and luxury, and fuel efficiency with more oomph (still built in japan). When I'm ready for my next car it'll likely be a honda fit. It's amazing that thing can haul a pin and still close the hatch.

#185 6 years ago

NWS pliers
    Wera screwdrivers
    Belvita SoftBaked breakfast bars - mixed berry of course!
    Stihl anything - I'm a fanboy!
    Honda inverter duty generators

#186 6 years ago

Sonos sound system - great sound quality, easy setup (although I think now you can get Bluetooth based systems at better value, Sonos is quite expensive)
    Dyson products - nothing sucks like Dyson (in a good way)
    Synology NAS - have had it for years, fast, reliable and easy to use
    Breville Oracle coffee maker - dual boiler all in one that makes the best coffee ever without having to be an expert home barista (best expensive purchase I ever made)
    Honda lawnmower - cuts through anything

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

My current car is a scion, my last car was a corolla with 192k miles (biggest issue was misfires in a couple cylinders). Drove fine, but burned oil like crazy (no leaks). My only complaint about toyota is that they don't innovate (both in body style and interior features). My wife and her whole family are deep toyota fans, but last year she switched to a mazda CX5. For less money than equivalent RAV4 money, she got better styling and luxury, and fuel efficiency with more oomph (still built in japan). When I'm ready for my next car it'll likely be a honda fit. It's amazing that thing can haul a pin and still close the hatch.

I've had a Honda Fit for the past 6 years. Well made car.

Toyota is overpriced.

#188 6 years ago

Toyota is way overpriced. I have a toyota Camry and a sienna, probably will be my last toyotas since they are so unaffordable now.

#189 6 years ago

LG
    3 years ago I had top replace my first HD Television, a 32" Samsung for the typical power supply problems. I replace it with a $189 LG 32" set that weighed a quarter of the the Samsung that has a better picture. I've dealt with both Samsung and LG displays at work, and the LG's hold up a lot better.
    When I got into Blu-Ray My first one was a used LG (which I've upgraded to a better model with more features). Have had no problems with any of the players I've bought. They even do a great job of up scaling my DVDs and MP4 videos.

#190 6 years ago

Specifically, the Apple //e ...and the Rana Elite I floppy drive.

#191 6 years ago

Durex. Kept me 'pregnant' free for years.

#192 6 years ago

Homepin.

Every single aspect has exceeded my original expectations.

#193 6 years ago

Jersey Jack Pinball

#194 6 years ago

Leatherman Sidekick, use it everyday.

In regards to Vacuums , was a Dyson fan but when it finally died after 8 years, was not impressed with the new models. Switched to Miele bagged vacuum and it is the BEST...

Makita 18v cordless tools

#195 6 years ago

Bought it new in 1997.

twenty years and 200,000 miles later, still going strong!

E

ranger (resized).jpgranger (resized).jpg

#196 6 years ago

The BMW S54:

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 11.45.44 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-26 at 11.45.44 AM (resized).png

This is the pinnacle for naturally aspirated, inline six cylinder engines. Super high revs (peak performance ~ 7900k), this mother is a screaming banshee. I know that you can get more power and torque with forced induction, but there is something primordial about this old-school high performance power plant.

s54b32 (resized).jpgs54b32 (resized).jpg

S54 Exploded (resized).jpgS54 Exploded (resized).jpg

#197 6 years ago

My Yuba Mundo cargo bike.

#198 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Jersey Jack Pinball

Absolutely. Both their brand and product keeps going from strength to strength. For such a new startup in a niche market with an established controlling predominant player really quite phenomenal.

Establish and maintain good customer relations.
    A proper marketing strategy from day one.
    Build a quality product, designed by an industry professional with prior experience in such.
    Be receptive to different markets and respond appropriately to their cultural sensitivities.

You would think it was rocket science to some of these other startups.

#199 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Honda lawnmower - cuts through anything

Agreed!

#200 6 years ago

Just got a couple pairs of jeans from Texas Jeans. I've always wanted a pair of 100% made in USA jeans. The jeans from Texas Jeans are easily the best jeans and I ever owned and at $30 a piece are a great deal considering the quality.

Wow, I just said jeans a lot, lol.

http://www.texasjeans.com

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/name-a-brand-or-product-that-exceeded-your-expectations/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.