(Topic ID: 170935)

Name a brand or product that exceeded your expectations

By hardware

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

S54 Exploded (resized).jpg
    s54b32 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 11.45.44 AM (resized).png
    ranger (resized).jpg
    IMG_0415 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0414 (resized).PNG
    Hyperlite (resized).jpg
    ar9 (resized).jpg
    dh500 (resized).jpg
    david-transparent (resized).jpg
    IMG_0380 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0600 (resized).JPG
    nuwave (resized).jpg
    CQpJc9oVAAAB6Zy.0 (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2628 (resized).JPG

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 7 years ago

It's too common these days to buy something and be disappointed almost immediately from some kind of quality issue. I'm hoping to get to get some good feedback on products that actually deserve our hard earned money.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is The North Face. I've seen this brand name around for a long time before I ever bought their products.

Dec 2012 I purchased a TriClimate Phere Jacket for $135 (retail was $220). Up til that point I was wearing a Vans winter jacket I purchased in 1999 so I was "due" for something new. I rolled the dice because of the sale price. Blown away with the jacket, it always keeps you warm and dry. Since then I also acquired a pair of boots, beanie and more recently a pullover hoodie. The quality of this brand in my mind is simply unbelievable. The best part is that 3 of the 4 I purchased on a sale so I paid almost 50% off on average, the beanie was a gift.

The hoodie was $18 through Cabella's. Warmest hoodie I ever owned hands down and the quality is just perfect. You don't see a single thread sticking out of the thing.

Sorry, I actually get excited when a company delivers what you are paying for.

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of your best recent purchase?

#2 7 years ago

ExOfficio boxer briefs have changed my life. Get em when on sale at Amazon and they are even better! They fit your junk just right and don't turn into a swamp.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from hardware:

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of your best recent purchase?

Bally.

#4 7 years ago

You will laugh at this one.
    I needed some laundry detergent just to get by until payday.
    I went to a dollar store and bought something called "LA's totally awesome laundry detergent" for $1
    I didn't have high expectations.
    Gotta be honest, this stuff cleaned just as good as the expensive stuff!
    Hey, try it for $1 at most dollar stores. The most you stand to loose is $1!

963847 (resized).jpg963847 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Concept 2.
    Both the rower and skier are sub $1000 completely maintenence free,take up little room and are extremely versatile.
    I have crushed the same rower almost daily for 5 years and have never had to do a single thing to it.
    Same goes for the skier but only 2 years in

#6 7 years ago

Is it sad that I really want to participate in this thread but am struggling to think of something. Either my expectations are way to high or .....

#7 7 years ago

I've also got to go with the Chicken Parmasan at Lazy Dog. It was a fair price and well exceeded expectations.

A very large slice of crispy breaded chicken on a bed of tender noodles in a savory sauce with just the right amount of real parmasan cheese.

#8 7 years ago

I'm a pretty avid camper. Recently, I moved to Montana on extended business, and took the opportunity to visit Glacier, Yellowstone and other parks.

I splurged on a $300 Mountain Safety Research tent. Part of me thought, "A tents a tent, just as long as it keeps you dry, why spend more on something expensive."

Long story short, bought an expensive backpacking tent, and holy hell is it nice. It's bombproof, windproof, water proof, and just all around lightyears better than your standard Coleman tent.

#9 7 years ago

Gotta go with Chipotle.... I went in for a Burrito, and came out with a Burrito, E Coli., and Norovirus at no additional charge.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

You will laugh at this one.
    I needed some laundry detergent just to get by until payday.
    I went to a dollar store and bought something called "LA's totally awesome laundry detergent" for $1
    I didn't have high expectations.
    Gotta be honest, this stuff cleaned just as good as the expensive stuff!
    Hey, try it for $1 at most dollar stores. The most you stand to loose is $1!

I use LA's Totally Awesome cleaners by the gallon. Great for cleaning just about everything. Wiring harnesses, PCBs, metal parts, etc.

I preclean parts in my ultrasonic before tumbling. Makes the media last much much longer.

LA's products are AWESOME!

#11 7 years ago

RLStories_Image (resized).jpgRLStories_Image (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Magic eraser

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm a pretty avid camper. Recently, I moved to Montana on extended business, and took the opportunity to visit Glacier, Yellowstone and other parks.
    I splurged on a $300 Mountain Safety Research tent. Part of me thought, "A tents a tent, just as long as it keeps you dry, why spend more on something expensive."
    Long story short, bought an expensive backpacking tent, and holy hell is it nice. It's bombproof, windproof, water proof, and just all around lightyears better than your standard Coleman tent.

MSR products are fantastic quality. I purchased their latest one man backpacking tent. Hands down the best tent i have ever owned. But yes they are not cheap!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

ExOfficio boxer briefs have changed my life. Get em when on sale at Amazon and they are even better! They fit your junk just right and don't turn into a swamp.

Thanks, just ordered a pair off of amazon! A little more pricey, but if they are as nice as all the reviews make them out to be, it will be well worth it.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Magic eraser

Second this.

Would also add Simple Green, Evapo Rust, Goo Gone Spray Gel. All are excellent.

#16 7 years ago

Pinball related, Mothers' Pure Carnauba paste wax (don't get the CLEANER version!), leaves little crumbs that you have to get out after you're done and play a few games to shake them all out (that is my only gripe) but the shine and finish are PERFECT on any generation of games. Have used this from old EMs to the newest Stern games.

#17 7 years ago

+1 on the LA's Totally Awesome. I buy all kinds of that stuff. It is a running joke in our family but it is good stuff and everything i have seen is only $1.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedbass:

MSR products are fantastic quality

You can say that again! Did you end up getting their freelite tent or the hubba nx? I thought about getting the hubba hubba, but opted for the elixir 3. I was willing to sacrifice weight for the extra room and durability.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Concept 2.
    Both the rower and skier are sub $1000 completely maintenence free,take up little room and are extremely versatile.
    I have crushed the same rower almost daily for 5 years and have never had to do a single thing to it.
    Same goes for the skier but only 2 years in

I have had mine since 2011. Only had to grease the chain once. I use it 3 to 4 times a week. The Model D is under 1k to your door (no use to get the E). Best cardio. You use your whole core and very low impact on knees and hips.

#20 7 years ago

I think I got ripped off when I purchased these.

xray_specs (resized).jpgxray_specs (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Is it sad that I really want to participate in this thread but am struggling to think of something. Either my expectations are way to high or .....

Not sad, it's reality and why I created this post. It's seriously rare to be 100% satisfied with a purchase. At least for me it is.

One other product I started using heavily about 8 years ago is called Optimum No Rinse. There is only one negative and I'm being picky. The smell attracts bugs right after you wash. Check out reviews though, usually 5/5 across the board on that stuff.

optimum-norinse-32oz (resized).jpgoptimum-norinse-32oz (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

The last product that exceeded my expectations was Evapo Rust. That dog can hunt. Woof!

#23 7 years ago

Nissan Leaf, it is an electric car. I love it. It is the go to car more then our Mercedes. Has nearly 40,000 quite miles. No oil change, no air filter, no maintenance, no noise, I love it. I was worried about the battery degradation. I have had it nearly 2 1/2 years, and no battery degradation. Did I mention fuel cost runs me under 2 cents per mile! 100% electric car.

When a $30,000 electric car gets a range of 200 miles, I will be all over it.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

The last product that exceeded my expectations was Evapo Rust. That dog can hunt. Woof!

Yes, I could not believe the first time I used it.

#25 7 years ago

Rain X windshield washer fluid. This stuff is the best during our salt encrusted a Northeast Ohio winters. It works so much better than the cheap blue stuff.

IMG_0009 (resized).PNGIMG_0009 (resized).PNG

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

Rain X windshield washer fluid. This stuff is the best during our salt encrusted a Northeast Ohio winters. It works so much better than the cheap blue stuff.

I'll be checking this out in PA. this winter, thanks!

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

Great stuff ! its all i use up here in the north

#28 7 years ago

Picked this up last week because I don't cook and the fiancée is in Maine for the week. Wasn't expecting much but damn! it was actually really good, the crust was especially good too, and this is from a Long Islander where there are plenty of good pizza places.

digiorno (resized).jpgdigiorno (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

Screamin' Sicilian leaves Di Giorno in the dust.

0075706151030_CF_version_type_large (resized).jpeg0075706151030_CF_version_type_large (resized).jpeg

#30 7 years ago

Spooky Pinball. AMH has become one of my fav games!

#31 7 years ago

Just about everything that 3M has ever made. Microfiber cloths, Post Its, Scotchgard, Flyfishing line, 3M Petri Plates (for microbiology testing), Scotch Tape, spray adhesive, Duct tape, Lintbrushes, furnace filters, painters tape, masking tape, etc... Seriously, this company has produced so many useful items I've lost count!

#32 7 years ago

Chik-Fil-A

#33 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#34 7 years ago

Dyson... I hated that smug british guy (It took me 700 prototypes to get it right). Got tired of crappy vacuums, ended up with a $1200 Kirby. Built like a tank, but then brushes started getting noisy. Then a few strands of hair got caught up in the entry and because it spins so fast the hairs acted like a weed wacker and tore a hole in the hose. Fed up, I saw a Dyson canister vaccuum on woot.com for $299. Figured I'd give it a try, it works flawlessly, cleans well, easy to clean, built tough. So then I started seeing those fans on woot, the ones with the cooler / heater. Bought one for $199, again loved it so much bought a second (one for bedroom, one for living room). It's efficient, quiet, easy to clean (wipe the blade, blow out the intake holes of dust).

#35 7 years ago

My favorite axe of all time, take it easy eh I'm Canadian.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#36 7 years ago

Nest- Thermostats, Smoke Alarms, and Home security cameras. They work flawlessly. Intuitive setup, and amazing results.

#37 7 years ago

Snapple... It helps that it's made from the best stuff on Earth.

snapple-1-600x399 (resized).jpgsnapple-1-600x399 (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

Breville home appliances....the coffee maker can be 2x the price and I'd still buy it...take that Stern.

breville-barista-espresso-machine (resized).jpgbreville-barista-espresso-machine (resized).jpg

#39 7 years ago

Also the GE timers...till I build a house controlled by Google Home these will do, they're cheap ($17 vs $30) yet work great. The only thing is you have to watch the youtube video to set them up. Trust me you'll never understand the paper instructions.

#40 7 years ago

Having an In-N-Out in my Hellcat

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

I use the rainx wiper fluid additive. It makes a huge difference in these Panama wet seasons.

#42 7 years ago

About 18 months ago I dropped some money on a fluke multimeter. Up until then I had used a craftsman, ideal and klein meters. I could not believe the difference. It's such a superior product in so many ways. I'll never use anything else.

#43 7 years ago

My vote for best winter tire.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think I got ripped off when I purchased these.

Return 'em, they have a money back guarantee.

#45 7 years ago

The picture would be banned, but my wife sure
    feels it "Exceeded Expectations!"

#46 7 years ago

.......otherwise vinegar!

Cleaning everything, including my arteries!

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The picture would be banned, but my wife sure
    feels it "Exceeded Expectations!"

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

.......otherwise vinegar!
    Cleaning everything, including my arteries!

Funny you should make these posts back-to-back.

#49 7 years ago

I recently bought a Rapha cycling jersey. Everywhere you read that brand is all marketing, but now i have the jersey i know that is a plain lie.

I cannot find a jersey with this quality. Expsensive? Correct, but it is super high end stuff.

#50 7 years ago

I would say half of the cheap stuff you buy from eBay and Amazon is actually really high quality. I've only been burned a couple of times, but I research the products pretty thoroughly before I pull the trigger.

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/name-a-brand-or-product-that-exceeded-your-expectations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.