IMG_8990 (resized).jpg
IMG_8989 (resized).jpg
IMG_8987 (resized).jpg
IMG_8986 (resized).jpg
4A2E2E15-C02E-421A-B973-C9AA33ADCDED (resized).jpeg
E4F0312D-8287-4BFC-9CDC-5B4D016A23F3 (resized).jpeg
2F885428-248A-482E-A8E7-3DD32C2DF75E (resized).jpeg
496B797C-FCC1-483E-AB80-96466886A698 (resized).jpeg
There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from MLmotorsport:

Just picked up one of these over the weekend (home version, no coin door) but had to take the table off of the unit to fit it in the vehicle. I didn't have to unhook very much but took some pics for reference just in case. I thought I got everything hooked backed in correctly but it will not power on. No computer noises, nada. There are a number of plugs that were not used but this one that's pictured seems like it might be needed. Any thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The caps look bad and should be replaced. Bios battery commonly fail and so the power on resume feature of the PC can fail. If you short the power jumper On MB, you can power it on - if you didn’t know what that is without google.. ask for help.

If that didn’t work then check the power supply rocker switch could have got flipped. ( I personally don’t like to power on motherboards with caps that look like that so...)

check ac power

The ATX power supply caps could also be bad, can pull and bench test.

That extra plug is not used - there will be a few unused power supply cables.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from MLmotorsport:

Just picked up one of these over the weekend (home version, no coin door) but had to take the table off of the unit to fit it in the vehicle. I didn't have to unhook very much but took some pics for reference just in case. I thought I got everything hooked backed in correctly but it will not power on. No computer noises, nada. There are a number of plugs that were not used but this one that's pictured seems like it might be needed. Any thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's an older style plug that is not used for this type of motherboard. Specifically, it's an AT connector, and bowl-o-rama uses an ATX connector. The power supply in your cab apparently has both.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

The caps look bad and should be replaced. Bios battery commonly fail and so the power on resume feature of the PC can fail. If you short the power jumper On MB, you can power it on - if you didn’t know what that is without google.. ask for help.
If that didn’t work then check the power supply rocker switch could have got flipped. ( I personally don’t like to power on motherboards with caps that look like that so...)
check ac power
The ATX power supply caps could also be bad, can pull and bench test.
That extra plug is not used - there will be a few unused power supply cables.

Thanks, I have a feeling you'll be seeing this unit soon

Quoted from Wharhed:

That's an older style plug that is not used for this type of motherboard. Specifically, it's an AT connector, and bowl-o-rama uses an ATX connector. The power supply in your cab apparently has both.

Another unique "feature"

1 week later
#154 3 years ago

Here’s a link to a gentlemen selling 3 Non-Working Bowl-O-Ramas in Downtown Pittsburgh for $1000. 2 complete, and 1 missing boardset. Might be able to combine parts and make one/two working units. Here’s the link via FB Marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1413885755408760?view=permalink&id=1867061473424517

EE91257D-B984-4158-BBAC-2874AB9E714F (resized).jpegEE91257D-B984-4158-BBAC-2874AB9E714F (resized).jpeg

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from Bennyv07:

Here’s a link to a gentlemen selling 3 Non-Working Bowl-O-Ramas in Downtown Pittsburgh for $1000. 2 complete, and 1 missing boardset. Might be able to combine parts and make one/two working units. Here’s the link via FB Marketplace.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1413885755408760?view=permalink&id=1867061473424517
[quoted image]

Most of the parts to fix these are still available from Namco.

1 week later
#158 3 years ago

Finally in the club with a working game. Thanks herbertbsharp and Toastin for the help with my booting issues. Looks and plays great.

20200703_190011 (resized).jpg20200703_190011 (resized).jpg20200703_184939 (resized).jpg20200703_184939 (resized).jpg
#159 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

keep the song names the same as original code

actually that doesnt matter. just drop the ogg vorbis files in and it plays from top to bottom it seems. i have a ton of songs on mine and it plays them all.

#160 3 years ago

If someone has one in my area let me know.

3 months later
#161 3 years ago

How much does the commercial version weigh? And am I right that I should be able to fit one in a Subaru Outback without too much trouble?

Added over 4 years ago:

Turns out it's just a fraction of an inch too wide to fit in a 2012 Outback, no matter how you twist it! The Outback is also 1/2" too short to take a pin, why did I buy one of these again?

#162 3 years ago

It will fit , but be warned it’s heavy . The base is the heavy part

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

It will fit , but be warned it’s heavy . The base is the heavy part

Can you take the base off?

#164 3 years ago

IF there is anyone looking to sell one of these Working and in nice condition I would be very interested in a PM. Almost bought one from the Pinsider in CA but he was oddly booted off Pinside shortly before I could make a deal lol.

#165 3 years ago

Had one for sale, but a local pinsider is picking it up on Monday

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Drew13:

Had one for sale, but a local pinsider is picking it up on Monday

Swing and a miss. I recall your older post and assumed incorrectly it was sold long ago. My bad would have loved to work with you but appreciate the heads up.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

IF there is anyone looking to sell one of these Working and in nice condition I would be very interested in a PM. Almost bought one from the Pinsider in CA but he was oddly booted off Pinside shortly before I could make a deal lol.

I had been searching for awhile too without luck.

They will appear eventually for us

#168 3 years ago

Thought I would post a link to this thread over on KLOV here if anybody is interested in readings it.
Hopefully this comes to fruition and saves a bunch of these machines.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/for-those-of-you-with-a-broken-namco-rockin-bowl-o-rama.475843/

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Thought I would post a link to this thread over on KLOV here if anybody is interested in readings it.
Hopefully this comes to fruition and saves a bunch of these machines.
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/for-those-of-you-with-a-broken-namco-rockin-bowl-o-rama.475843/

Let us know if they do make this new board.

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Can you take the base off?

Yes, but you need a really, really big wrench or socket. I bought a giant socket when my base became loose.

#171 3 years ago

Has anyone ordered third-party replacement ashtrays through Amazon? There's a guy on KLOV that posted about it a few years back and I asked there too, but thought I'd give this thread a shot as well. ~$10/piece for a close-enough replacement would be sweet if I can find one that's a decent fit and looks similar to stock.

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Has anyone ordered third-party replacement ashtrays through Amazon? There's a guy on KLOV that posted about it and I asked there too, but thought I'd give this thread a shot as well. ~$10/piece for a close-enough replacement would be sweet if I can find one that's a decent fit and looks similar to stock.

I would love to find replacements as my game is missing them as well.

#173 3 years ago

You can buy new plastic parts from namco for the ash trays. I am out of them now but had a ton.

In a pinch the bottom dish of a terracotta pot fits in there real nice (saw this on a unit once haha)

I’m still out here restoring the games, just did a cap replacement for a dude In the thread here.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

You can buy new plastic parts from namco for the ash trays. I am out of them now but had a ton.
In a pinch the bottom dish of a terracotta pot fits in there real nice (saw this on a unit once haha)
I’m still out here restoring the games, just did a cap replacement for a dude In the thread here.

Mine has what appears to be gray cup holders in the back. i want to remove them for ashtrays but they appear to be glued in place. any ideas here?

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Mine has what appears to be gray cup holders in the back. i want to remove them for ashtrays but they appear to be glued in place. any ideas here?

The plastic ones have a single screw holding them in from under the play surface.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

actually that doesnt matter. just drop the ogg vorbis files in and it plays from top to bottom it seems. i have a ton of songs on mine and it plays them all.

Did you remove the OG songs when you did this? Or does the systems need some/all of the original track names to be in the directory, but then it will still play your new files as well?

#177 3 years ago

Other - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking for a nice condition local commercial edition bowl o rama. Preferably in the Midwest. Ping me if you have one. thx.”
2022-06-06
Saukville, WI
Wanted
Archived after: 30 days
Viewed: 562 times

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Did you remove the OG songs when you did this? Or does the systems need some/all of the original track names to be in the directory, but then it will still play your new files as well?

I left them and it didn't appear to make a difference. It plays all of them.

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from FelixTCat:

The plastic ones have a single screw holding them in from under the play surface.

Thanks gonna go check on that right now.

Edit: seems I will have to go in through the back and I can't get to it currently.

Does anyone know ashtrays that fit this game. The look is better that way.

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Feels good knowng its refurb'd, expanded, updated etc.
Thanks again!

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Let us know if they do make this new board.

Same here. I bought one for our lake house in WI about 8 months ago. After about a month of usage (12-15 games), I tried to turn it on and it starts to boot but hangs after halfway through the booting process. I figured no biggie to fix until I came across threads about this machine here and elsewhere. Now its been a doorstop for many months and I have no idea what the issue is.....

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Same here. I bought one for our lake house in WI about 8 months ago. After about a month of usage (12-15 games), I tried to turn it on and it starts to boot but hangs after halfway through the booting process. I figured no biggie to fix until I came across threads about this machine here and elsewhere. Now its been a doorstop for many months and I have no idea what the issue is.....

Willing to sell? Lol had to try.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Never hurts to ask

#184 3 years ago

Ashtray update: I ordered two of these on eBay:

ebay.com link: 4 1 4 Round Push Down Ashtray with Spinning Tray Black USA SELLER

They’re an excellent replacement for the original ashtrays. You’ll need a tamper-proof torx hex star bit to remove the bolts that hold the existing bases in place, and will then need to drill a hole in the bottom of the new ashtrays to accommodate the bolts.

You could leave the existing bases in place and just set the new tops over them, but they are threaded slightly differently so they don't screw on and will spin freely if you do this. It looks fine, but I plan to take the extra few minutes to do a full replacement so people don't accidentally pull them off when they inevitably fiddle around with the ashtrays.

These are very close to the original ashtrays but not identical -- the base is black rather than silver (only a sliver of this shows and it looks good, just slightly different), and the tops have three cigarette rests instead of the two on the originals. But it's a close match, and I'm very happy with the look for an all-in cost of $22.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I might be. I haven't had the time to even explore what the problem is at this time. If it's something easily remedied, I'll keep it. If not - I just might move this along. I'll let you know - thx.!

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from KrustyBurger:

I might be. I haven't had the time to even explore what the problem is at this time. If it's something easily remedied, I'll keep it. If not - I just might move this along. I'll let you know - thx.!

Please keep me in mind. Local buyer that likes bowling lol.

#187 3 years ago

I had a Bowö-O-Rama in my collection but sold it . Why ?!

The HDD is married with the motherbaord over a controlerboard. If the HDD or morherboard or this controller is damaged you have a very heavy brick in your gameroom. There is no way to crack this. I bought for testing also a USB stick with the software on eBay. But the USB stick will not be married with the motherboard and the controlerboard. It bootet but all buttons, coinddoor was not useable.
So I decided for me to sell it as working device for good money, once broken you can trash it.

The morherboard and HDD is available on ebay but you will never get the HDD branded ID to the controllerboard.
The controlerboards were available last year but around 300 dollar.

https://www.betsonparts.com/namco-rockin-bowl-o-rama-pcb-control-interface.html

Maybe this helps fixing yours.

#188 3 years ago

My home model bowl o rama will be for sale soon. Can it be listed on the pinside marketplace? Or is it for pins only?

20201023_131119 (resized).jpg20201023_131119 (resized).jpg
#189 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

I had a Bowö-O-Rama in my collection but sold it . Why?! The HDD is married with the motherbaord over a controlerboard. If the HDD or morherboard or this controller is damaged you have a very heavy brick in your gameroom. There is no way to crack this.

This post has good details about how the hardware "marriage" works in various versions of this game:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/namco-rockin-bowl-o-rama-#post-5346631

#190 3 years ago

$1200

20201027_174729 (resized).jpg20201027_174729 (resized).jpg20201027_174735 (resized).jpg20201027_174735 (resized).jpg20201027_174745 (resized).jpg20201027_174745 (resized).jpg
#191 3 years ago

anyone know where to get the bowling ball style roller for these? would love to drop one in.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from zenbone:

anyone know where to get the bowling ball style roller for these? would love to drop one in.

If you mean the black trackball, they have them on the Namco site, but it’s like 3x the cost of the white one for some reason:
https://www.namcoparts.com/ECommerce/product/rb80-11518-00/trackball3blk-assy-wharnes

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you mean the black trackball, they have them on the Namco site, but it’s like 3x the cost of the white one for some reason:
https://www.namcoparts.com/ECommerce/product/rb80-11518-00/trackball3blk-assy-wharnes

the mod i saw replaced the black color trackball with a swirl color to mimic old school bowling balls.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from zenbone:

the mod i saw replaced the black color trackball with a swirl color to mimic old school bowling balls.

Oh, cool, don't think I've seen that one. Got a pic?

#195 3 years ago

Capcom Bowling had the swirl ball.

#196 3 years ago

My commercial model Bowl-O-Rama is available to fund my daughter's college tuition. PM me for a video demo.

It's fully functional, complete with dual spinning ash trays and dollar acceptor. The cosmetics are exceptionally nice, including an excellent original monitor and trackball.

I am in southern New Jersey, near Philadelphia.

FB_IMG_1603936649158 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1603936649158 (resized).jpg

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

My commercial model Bowl-O-Rama is available to fund my daughter's college tuition. PM me for a video demo.
It's fully functional, complete with dual spinning ash trays and dollar acceptor. The cosmetics are exceptionally nice, including an excellent original monitor and trackball.
[quoted image]

ZNET is awesome to deal with. Don't hesitate to pass up a deal on his Bowl-O-Rama if you're in the market

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

[quoted image]

Asking price?

#199 3 years ago

Thanks for all of the Bowl-O-Rama inquiries. The game is sold, pending pick up. Pinside donation to be made.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Oh, cool, don't think I've seen that one. Got a pic?

here is one picture i found.

Swirlball (resized).pngSwirlball (resized).png
There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/namco-rockin-bowl-o-rama-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.