Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MattElder
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2013-12-03 09.50.07.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I just acquired a Williams Toledo pin and am just starting to fix it up. I noticed these nails under the slingshot plastics that definitely don't look original. Further, the heads of the nails have worn pinholes in the artwork because they are so tall they rub against the bottom of the plastics. All the plastics on this machine are slightly warped, although none are broken. The most damage is from these nails on the slingshot plastics. If they aren't original, how would I replace them and with what? Thanks for any advice!

2013-12-03 09.50.07.jpg

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from 151120:

I just acquired a Williams Toledo pin and am just starting to fix it up. I noticed these nails under the slingshot plastics that definitely don't look original. Further, the heads of the nails have worn pinholes in the artwork because they are so tall they rub against the bottom of the plastics. All the plastics on this machine are slightly warped, although none are broken. The most damage is from these nails on the slingshot plastics. If they aren't original, how would I replace them and with what? Thanks for any advice!

2013-12-03 09.50.07.jpg 572 KB

Im probably wrong, but I think they are original. My humpty dumpty and another EM sold had them too.

#3 5 years ago

Original for sure. You could touch up the worn spot and put a tiny thin pc. Of felt on nail head to help protect.

#4 5 years ago

they are original

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Strange that they would be so tall that they rub the artwork. I'll put something on top to prevent further wear for sure.

#6 5 years ago

I have owned numerous games with "nails" just like this. Not certain what their function is (i.e. keep the switched from going to far back, support the plastic from dipping/sagging down to the point that the ball could hit it and break it) but I know they're original. To your point they rub against the plastic causing damage to the plastic. I still have my BOPP that has nails in it and I tapped the nails down a little to avoid the plastic from rubbing on it.

#7 5 years ago

I have seen this before. Supporting the plastic would be my guess. Could also prevent the ball from getting stuck between the playfield and the plastic, as the ball would push in the rubber and wedge itself. On a large piece of plastic and on a new flexable plastic, maybe. A peice of felt or one of those white rubber barrels that secures a Gottlieb plastic would make a good cover for the nail.

Post edited by Darcy : Clarity.

#8 5 years ago

Even see this on more modern machines. DataEast DMD's like StarWars and JP had nails. It prevents the plastics from "drooping" over time (or due to bulb heat).

#9 5 years ago

Okay, interesting. There's a few nails around the slingshots of my Freddy, but I assumed they were a cheap hack added by an operator or owner at some point. Does anyone know if nails like these were standard in other Gottlieb System 3 machines? Or anyone with a Freddy also have nails around the slings?

#10 5 years ago

SF2 doesn't. But I do think the slings are smaller anyway?

Just a nail by the outlanes (to stop balls getting stuck)

Great idea about the rubber grommet. I'd just make sure to remember to change it as melted old rubber on plastics aint nice

#11 5 years ago

When I got my CC Hollywood it also had some nails behind the bands near the pop bumpers.

Being a newbie at the time I thought WTF and they were removed when I had the game stripped down. Once it was back together I found out that the nails did indeed have a purpose - without them them there existed a situation when the ball could become 'trapped' between the band and the pop bumper going back and forth for a very long time. The nails changed the angle of the rubber enough to prevent this.

When I found a replacement play field I noticed that instead of nails, the top band post was repositioned by the factory to it was obvious after the first few went out the 'flaw' was discovered and rectified at the factory.

#12 5 years ago

Bally Star Trek (2518-35 mpu) has these nails all over the place under most plastics.

#13 5 years ago

Most GTB EMs of the 70's and Classic Sterns all have them as well under slings, behind drop target banks and in in the outlanes neat the aprons. The GTB ones are nails but the Classic Sterns are straight metal pins.

If they are too high and rubbing on plastics, you can always tap them down slightly to lower them. They aren't there to hold up plastics, but to rather keep balls from getting trapped behind the rubber rings in the spaces between the star posts.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from supercombo:

There's a few nails around the slingshots of my Freddy, but I assumed they were a cheap hack added by an operator or owner at some point. Does anyone know if nails like these were standard in other Gottlieb System 3 machines? Or anyone with a Freddy also have nails around the slings?

My Freddy has been gone many years, but yes, I remember it having the nails around the slings.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 13.00
Playfields
Lermods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside