Nags.jpg
Nags Game.jpg
P5073253.JPG
P5073251.JPG
P5073248.JPG
P5073246.JPG
P5073247.JPG
P5073245.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 8 years ago

Joe,
Really beautiful work on your machine. Wonderful attention to detail and it looks like it is playing perfectly. I'm very impressed with the area under the pop bumpers as it hardly shows any wear!

I like my game very much and, as noted, it does not play with the same type of strategy as other pinball games. It's a fun companion to my Derby Day, and part of my little hossie theme.

While you are assigned your horse at the beginning of the game, and you are encouraged to shoot at the corresponding pop bumper, that is easier said than done. And, commonly, you'll send a ball down the center lane at the top, and change horses all together. So a hard game to beat with skill shots. If you can keep the ball alive, you do have a chance to win on score, but 400 is challenging. As such, I think of the game as more of a novelty game and it is an absolute favorite with guests and kids who play the game for amusement who do not to try and beat the machine...

I have my game set for 5 balls to game over and to not stop when a horse wins. I don't keep the platter moving when the game is over. I have it set to win 10 games if your horse wins on the first ball, but I don't think that I have ever accomplished this, yet.

My friend, who also has a Nags, put in bells into the backbox. On his machine, though, the pop bumpers are sluggish. So, not really sure if the bells are straining the transformer (or if they are the right coils or not?) or if his bumpers are tweaked correctly. As such, I was hesitant to add bells to mine, but after seeing a video of your machine playing nicely with a bell, I may try the reversible mod. Thanks for posting the video.

A cute mod that I did was add some 455 blinker bulbs behind the jockey and horse faces in the backglass.

The LED mods that Heatwave made in the pop bumpers look nice and a good idea if you use matching colors.

Best of luck with yours!

J

NAGS.jpgNAGS.jpg
#13 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Oldcarz,
What angle is your game set at? The time the ball stays in the bumper area in your video seems to be optimum. I guess there are other variables but it would be a starting point for me when I get mine set up.
Jodini,
I will add a thread of the platter or platters when i get the last ones cleared. They are really nice and covered with either vinyl decal or a waterslide decal. It just won't stop raining here to set up the tent to spray the clear. Note; a 8" X 11" waterside decal is really easy to lay down just wish I could have printed a 12" X 12" one.
I would like to see your bell configuration also.
I have a few sets of the replacement side rails made from mirror polished 20g stainless. My game had one missing and i didn't know how to make a galvanized internal side-rail that had a lot of corrosion!
Steve J.

Steve,
I don't know the slope angle of my machines. I typically have the front legs with the levelers all the way up and raise the rear levelers accordingly to make the game level from left to right. Looking quickly, I would guess both rears are about 1" extended although the right one is a tad longer to compensate for the unevenness of my basement floor.

The mirrored side rails are a wonderful improvement on my machine, too. Although I have discovered that soaking side rails (and other metal) in evaporust rust remover does wonders, too.

siderail.jpgsiderail.jpg
#19 8 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

You guys caught me! I actually have the fuse in the low voltage slot, so this could explain the turn table spinning faster, or not. I did clean off the gears and regreased them to help things out....but it's probably because things are high tapped. On the slope, I bet it's about 1.5 inches out on the back....mostly because when my kids would play it, the ball would sometimes get stuck in the inserts towards the front of the game. The ball really slows down between those post and just stops when I had the playing field only 1 inch high.
Oldcarz, your popbumper caps look perfect! Those original?!
I'm going to have a pinball buddy come over tomorrow and decide what kind of angle, setting it back to normal/ low voltage, and other settings. Have some colored LEDS ordered and I might do that also to the popbumper caps.
Oldcarz....now I see what you were talking about with the flashers! Very fun!
Thanks all for the inputs! Keep them coming!

Joe,
To your specific questions toward me:
Yes, the pop bumper caps are original with no touchups. Like many other owners, we all seek a "perfect" set of originals, but they are not to be found. Ditto for marbelized bumper caps for Slick Chick... the repros are close, but not the grail...

Speaking of originals, I would love to find an original set of hossies. Mine are good, but some are flawed. I noted that some of your hossies and jockeys have been touched up and "customized" with different faces, which looks GREAT!, but I am not an artist and can't even look at a bottle of paint without getting it all over the floor and in my hair.

The flasher bulbs are a neat effect and I use them liberally in a lot of my machines. I have noted that the original GE 455 bulbs flash at a quicker rate than the Eiko or current replacements. I was lucky to score a few dozen of the original GE's before they became rarer than hen's teeth. Happy to help out another pinsider if you want some of those bulbs for your machines...

Best
J

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
StempleLABS
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nags-williams-pinball-1960?tu=oldcarz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.