• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by heatwave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Nags Williams, 1960

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

siderail.jpg
NAGS.jpg
IMG_2418.JPG
Nags.jpg
Nags Game.jpg
P5073253.JPG
P5073251.JPG
P5073248.JPG
P5073246.JPG
P5073247.JPG
P5073245.JPG

#1 4 years ago

I thought I would start this thread just to find out who owns one, who's played one and what you guys think? Add photos and videos please! What kind of settings have you guys used and anything else you would like to add.

So I'll go first!
Definitely plays different than most of the other pinballs I've messed with. I enjoy it and when people come over, they are attracted to it. It's one of those, "gotta try that one more time" type of games with the horse racing theme.
Settings:
Game ends when horse wins or after 5 ball? When kids play it, they always want to restart it after the race ends, so with them I change it so the game ends. But I personally like playing out all 5 balls.

Attract mode - you can keep the "lazy susan" pop bumpers spinning in "game over" mode, but I have it shut off to save the life of the motor.

Bells- one thing I did add is a bell to the 10 point relay. Haven't decided if I like or not.

What have you guys done and experienced? Here's some vids of mine today:

P5073245.JPG P5073247.JPG P5073246.JPG P5073248.JPG P5073251.JPG P5073253.JPG
#2 4 years ago

Great looking game. Very nice condition.

I am currently restoring mine as it needs some work. It's a deep restore. Nearly finished the playfield. Have made a new platter. Actually I have five platters as trying different ways to make it and with different clears coats.

One question I have what angle have you set it at? It seems to be very quick through the bumpers!

Need to get moving on mine after seeing this.

Steve J.

#3 4 years ago

I want to add some bell's to mine too, really weird they were not installed at the factory probably because of the cost I'm assuming what with everything else they had to put into the game. I fell in love with the game at the Allentown show about 4 years ago when there was one there that got played non stop all weekend. Two years later I'm buying that same game from the guy that brought it to the show. Its a keeper for sure.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#4 4 years ago

Very cool John! Seems like things go in full circle in the pinball world!

Steve J. Do you have a picture of all the platters? Would like to see what you have done.
Joe

#5 4 years ago

Nags 1960 Williams is one of my favorite games. I love the bumpers and since Nags is a woodrail it is a great game to nudge. The photos you included are fantastic!

#6 4 years ago

Love this title and I rarely see it for sale. I have been looking since Harry Irvin brought his to The Allentown show in 2008 or 2009. Great pin.

#7 4 years ago

What a cool game...would love to play one some day.

--Luke

#8 4 years ago

My first contact with NAGS was actually seeing it on the TV show "My Three Sons", in an episode in which uncle Bub (William Frawley) leaves, fearing he is being replaced (as housekeeper) by some
female cousin who visits the household. At the bus station is a NAGS pinball that Bub plays for a bit
(at least I think he does) but definitely remember the rotating playfield of bumpers
(probably in "attract mode").
I have 2 horsey games (Derby Day) but would gladly trade both for a NAGS.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

I thought I would start this thread just to find out who owns one, who's played one and what you guys think? Add photos and videos please! What kind of settings have you guys used and anything else you would like to add.

Have had mine for a few years. A very fun game although it plays very differently from most of my other games (like Sing Along, Heat Wave, etc.) - a little more luck, a lot more nudging involved.

Absolutely a favorite when people come over as it's a really fun game to watch other people play. Amazing how close each race usually is. Also cool is you can set it to award 10 replays if you win the race on the first ball.

I set mine to always end at 5-balls and do not have the attract mode setup. I did selectively add colored LED's to the game which acts as a kind of attract mode as all of the pop bumpers light up at games end.

Have not added a bell although that is a thought. I have thought about adding a small sound chip recorder (like on a greeting card) that would play "Call to the Post" when the start button is pressed! Looked into the units (they are cheap), just haven't done it yet.

I also added mirrored stainless steel "blades" to the game replacing the oxidized steel ones. Got these from Steve in Texas (he may have a few more sets) and they look very nice.

Finally, would really like to add new pop bumper caps if someone would reproduce them. This is probably the first EM game where I have not totally rebuild the pop bumpers because the yellowed caps would look so out of place with new white pop bumper bodies.

Nags Game.jpg

Nags.jpg

IMG_2418.JPG

#10 4 years ago

Joe,
Really beautiful work on your machine. Wonderful attention to detail and it looks like it is playing perfectly. I'm very impressed with the area under the pop bumpers as it hardly shows any wear!

I like my game very much and, as noted, it does not play with the same type of strategy as other pinball games. It's a fun companion to my Derby Day, and part of my little hossie theme.

While you are assigned your horse at the beginning of the game, and you are encouraged to shoot at the corresponding pop bumper, that is easier said than done. And, commonly, you'll send a ball down the center lane at the top, and change horses all together. So a hard game to beat with skill shots. If you can keep the ball alive, you do have a chance to win on score, but 400 is challenging. As such, I think of the game as more of a novelty game and it is an absolute favorite with guests and kids who play the game for amusement who do not to try and beat the machine...

I have my game set for 5 balls to game over and to not stop when a horse wins. I don't keep the platter moving when the game is over. I have it set to win 10 games if your horse wins on the first ball, but I don't think that I have ever accomplished this, yet.

My friend, who also has a Nags, put in bells into the backbox. On his machine, though, the pop bumpers are sluggish. So, not really sure if the bells are straining the transformer (or if they are the right coils or not?) or if his bumpers are tweaked correctly. As such, I was hesitant to add bells to mine, but after seeing a video of your machine playing nicely with a bell, I may try the reversible mod. Thanks for posting the video.

A cute mod that I did was add some 455 blinker bulbs behind the jockey and horse faces in the backglass.

The LED mods that Heatwave made in the pop bumpers look nice and a good idea if you use matching colors.

Best of luck with yours!

J

NAGS.jpg
#11 4 years ago

Oldcarz,

What angle is your game set at? The time the ball stays in the bumper area in your video seems to be optimum. I guess there are other variables but it would be a starting point for me when I get mine set up.

Jodini,

I will add a thread of the platter or platters when i get the last ones cleared. They are really nice and covered with either vinyl decal or a waterslide decal. It just won't stop raining here to set up the tent to spray the clear. Note; a 8" X 11" waterside decal is really easy to lay down just wish I could have printed a 12" X 12" one.

I would like to see your bell configuration also.

I have a few sets of the replacement side rails made from mirror polished 20g stainless. My game had one missing and i didn't know how to make a galvanized internal side-rail that had a lot of corrosion!

Steve J.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Love this title and I rarely see it for sale. I have been looking since Harry Irvin brought his to The Allentown show in 2008 or 2009. Great pin.

Thats the one that I bought, he had it there in 2011 just as you walked in the door with a "not for sale" sign on it. I told him if you EVER want to sell the game to give me first chance....
Then a year or two later he posted it up for sale on either here or RGP I cant remember. Needless to say I called him the moment I seen the ad.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Oldcarz,
What angle is your game set at? The time the ball stays in the bumper area in your video seems to be optimum. I guess there are other variables but it would be a starting point for me when I get mine set up.
Jodini,
I will add a thread of the platter or platters when i get the last ones cleared. They are really nice and covered with either vinyl decal or a waterslide decal. It just won't stop raining here to set up the tent to spray the clear. Note; a 8" X 11" waterside decal is really easy to lay down just wish I could have printed a 12" X 12" one.
I would like to see your bell configuration also.
I have a few sets of the replacement side rails made from mirror polished 20g stainless. My game had one missing and i didn't know how to make a galvanized internal side-rail that had a lot of corrosion!
Steve J.

Steve,
I don't know the slope angle of my machines. I typically have the front legs with the levelers all the way up and raise the rear levelers accordingly to make the game level from left to right. Looking quickly, I would guess both rears are about 1" extended although the right one is a tad longer to compensate for the unevenness of my basement floor.

The mirrored side rails are a wonderful improvement on my machine, too. Although I have discovered that soaking side rails (and other metal) in evaporust rust remover does wonders, too.

siderail.jpg
#14 4 years ago

Joe -

Another thing I just noticed is that it seems like your turntable spins faster than mine. I will have to play the video while my game is running to double check, but it certainly seems faster.

I had my gears rebuilt by PBR as they were completely gummed up so I'm not sure why it would run differently. Did you notice any difference in speed as you worked on the game?

#15 4 years ago

You guys caught me! I actually have the fuse in the low voltage slot, so this could explain the turn table spinning faster, or not. I did clean off the gears and regreased them to help things out....but it's probably because things are high tapped. On the slope, I bet it's about 1.5 inches out on the back....mostly because when my kids would play it, the ball would sometimes get stuck in the inserts towards the front of the game. The ball really slows down between those post and just stops when I had the playing field only 1 inch high.

Oldcarz, your popbumper caps look perfect! Those original?!

I'm going to have a pinball buddy come over tomorrow and decide what kind of angle, setting it back to normal/ low voltage, and other settings. Have some colored LEDS ordered and I might do that also to the popbumper caps.

Oldcarz....now I see what you were talking about with the flashers! Very fun!

Thanks all for the inputs! Keep them coming!

#16 4 years ago

I had to repair all the inserts on my game. The high tap explains what we were seeing.

However, there will be an optimum slope to get the best out of it, makes it different to other pins.

#17 4 years ago

I just got a stop watch and checked out the turn table...it takes 20 seconds exactly for it to rotate whether it's in normal or low voltage setting. I'm going to leave the thing in normal setting for a while and see how it feels.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

So I'll go first!
Definitely plays different than most of the other pinballs I've messed with. I enjoy it and when people come over, they are attracted to it. It's one of those, "gotta try that one more time" type of games with the horse racing theme.
Settings:
Game ends when horse wins or after 5 ball? When kids play it, they always want to restart it after the race ends, so with them I change it so the game ends. But I personally like playing out all 5 balls.
Attract mode - you can keep the "lazy susan" pop bumpers spinning in "game over" mode, but I have it shut off to save the life of the motor.
Bells- one thing I did add is a bell to the 10 point relay. Haven't decided if I like or not

I really like the 10 point bell, this is something I've been meaning to do to mine but haven't gotten around to figuring out how, I'd be very appreciative if you could post how you wired it and what size bell you used.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

You guys caught me! I actually have the fuse in the low voltage slot, so this could explain the turn table spinning faster, or not. I did clean off the gears and regreased them to help things out....but it's probably because things are high tapped. On the slope, I bet it's about 1.5 inches out on the back....mostly because when my kids would play it, the ball would sometimes get stuck in the inserts towards the front of the game. The ball really slows down between those post and just stops when I had the playing field only 1 inch high.
Oldcarz, your popbumper caps look perfect! Those original?!
I'm going to have a pinball buddy come over tomorrow and decide what kind of angle, setting it back to normal/ low voltage, and other settings. Have some colored LEDS ordered and I might do that also to the popbumper caps.
Oldcarz....now I see what you were talking about with the flashers! Very fun!
Thanks all for the inputs! Keep them coming!

Joe,
To your specific questions toward me:
Yes, the pop bumper caps are original with no touchups. Like many other owners, we all seek a "perfect" set of originals, but they are not to be found. Ditto for marbelized bumper caps for Slick Chick... the repros are close, but not the grail...

Speaking of originals, I would love to find an original set of hossies. Mine are good, but some are flawed. I noted that some of your hossies and jockeys have been touched up and "customized" with different faces, which looks GREAT!, but I am not an artist and can't even look at a bottle of paint without getting it all over the floor and in my hair.

The flasher bulbs are a neat effect and I use them liberally in a lot of my machines. I have noted that the original GE 455 bulbs flash at a quicker rate than the Eiko or current replacements. I was lucky to score a few dozen of the original GE's before they became rarer than hen's teeth. Happy to help out another pinsider if you want some of those bulbs for your machines...

Best
J

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

I just got a stop watch and checked out the turn table...it takes 20 seconds exactly for it to rotate whether it's in normal or low voltage setting. I'm going to leave the thing in normal setting for a while and see how it feels.

Jodini,
I got my motor out to check and 3 revolutions in shade over a minute, so the same speed. Good! I can play with the game angle per Oldcarz information to optimize the play.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I just got a stop watch and checked out the turn table...it takes 20 seconds exactly for it to rotate

Funny. I thought your turntable was spinning faster than mine but played it last night and it was also right at 20 seconds for a full revolution.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 9,000.00
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 208.87
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside