Linked Games

• Nags Williams, 1960

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Preview - finished.png
no black ring.png
Platter - restored.jpg
Platter - original.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveinTexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

Mal,
You do fabulous work.

Absolutely a waterslide decal will work. How to fix the original platter is an interesting challenge. It can be restored by painting and still may be, or a hybrid of some smaller decals (horse heads) and painting. I believe I can do it quite well. If we go the decal route for a new or original fix; The tutorials by Vid explains how to use a decal to fix a damaged area.

I am probably going to try both ways. First; make a new platter. It will mean the new wood is 'finished' possibly with a 'Shellac' varnish coat to match the original game before using 'Vids' guides to first paint the painted areas white, auto clear coat, add decal/ decals as needed, final clear coat in stages to protect the decal. I will ask Mal to make the wood area white in the mean time.

However for the original platter, the problem is the wood part under the bumpers. What you see is the wood cleaned and patched with filler as best you can in the first picture Mal inserted. The damage to the surface is quite deep. This wood area can be painted I suppose but I have not seen wood fixed this way satisfactorily in my research to date. I would love someone to show me that it can be done. For the original platter I will need to look at the wood area and research more before attempting the restore. Time is my friend here no need to rush as the new platter will be used initially.

Suggestions welcome.

Steve J.

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

Just lovely,

Now to make a new platter to use this on.

Thank you Mal.

#13 9 years ago

Mal, we are so sad for your loss.

Guys, I put a separate topic titled Mal's Personal Loss in the All Pinball section so others hopefully see it. Possibly we could comment there, so the maximum number of people see it. Mal contributes to many parts of the hobby so many have a connection with him.

Steve j.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveinTexas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nags-platter-repair?tu=SteveinTexas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.