• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hyperball91
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Nags Williams, 1960

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Preview - finished.png
no black ring.png
Platter - restored.jpg
Platter - original.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Okay my EM friends, I recently got a request from 'SteveinTexas' who has a Nags pin that he recently bought and he is working on getting it working and restored back to pristine shape.

The artwork on the revolving platter is a bit sad with worn paint and wood showing through.
Dirtflipper suggested he make a decal for it, (good idea dirt) so Steve asked me for advice on Photoshop and Illustrator which I gave him of course, but typical me, I was intrigued and decided to do the artwork for him. Can't help myself. Besides, I quite like the Nags pin.

So, he stitched together some scans of it, of which he did a great job, and sent it to me.
10 days later I declare it finished and ready for printing. I think it came out great and I know Chris and a few others would like to see the result, so I decided to make my first thread and post my work here.

This is the original scan he sent me of the platter. I just snipped it into a circle.

Platter - original.jpg

#2 5 years ago

and here is my finished artwork.
This is a JPG reduced greatly in size, but it still looks good.
The original is over 9,600 pixels in diameter, nice and big for Steve to get printed onto a decal. Hope you all like it. Those horse heads took me longer to do than I thought. Yes, those horseshoes are all identical, cloning saves time, lol.
~ Mal ~

Platter - restored.jpg

#3 5 years ago

Hmm, looks familiar.

(Steve, I'd also suggest cutting out a new platter from new wood for the decal, and then save the original for a touch-up restoration project/back up.)

Can't wait to see the finished product!

#4 5 years ago

Very cool! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Joe

#5 5 years ago

Great job on the decal! I would apply it to new wood as well like Dirt suggested.

Ken

#6 5 years ago

Thanks all. I've just been told by Steve that there's an error which I didn't notice and he's right.
Where the bumper rings meet the outer red line, there's no inner black line, so I'll have to fix that later.
I say later as I'm packing up tomorrow and moving to Grand Junction in Colorado on Sunday so I'll be offline for a few days. Anyone know any friendly pinheads there so I can play their pins?

Here's a quick preview of how it should look. ~ Mal ~

no black ring.png

#7 5 years ago

damn you do good work...

i'm wondering... would a decal be "thin enough" to be used anywhere on a pf?

#8 5 years ago

Mal,
You do fabulous work.

Absolutely a waterslide decal will work. How to fix the original platter is an interesting challenge. It can be restored by painting and still may be, or a hybrid of some smaller decals (horse heads) and painting. I believe I can do it quite well. If we go the decal route for a new or original fix; The tutorials by Vid explains how to use a decal to fix a damaged area.

I am probably going to try both ways. First; make a new platter. It will mean the new wood is 'finished' possibly with a 'Shellac' varnish coat to match the original game before using 'Vids' guides to first paint the painted areas white, auto clear coat, add decal/ decals as needed, final clear coat in stages to protect the decal. I will ask Mal to make the wood area white in the mean time.

However for the original platter, the problem is the wood part under the bumpers. What you see is the wood cleaned and patched with filler as best you can in the first picture Mal inserted. The damage to the surface is quite deep. This wood area can be painted I suppose but I have not seen wood fixed this way satisfactorily in my research to date. I would love someone to show me that it can be done. For the original platter I will need to look at the wood area and research more before attempting the restore. Time is my friend here no need to rush as the new platter will be used initially.

Suggestions welcome.

Steve J.

#9 5 years ago

Thank you Chris and Steve. I've moved house to Grand Junction in Colorado now and have my PC set up again. I worked on the artwork again last night Steve, and I think its finished this time, lol
I changed the area under the bumpers to white as you requested, got rid of most of the inner black ring and touched up little areas here and there and generally made it look nicer.
Here's a reduced png of how it looks now. png's don't artifact like jpegs do.
~ Mal ~

Preview - finished.png

#10 5 years ago

Just lovely,

Now to make a new platter to use this on.

Thank you Mal.

#11 5 years ago

To my pin friends - my beautiful wife passed away last night of a probable heart attack.
I'm completely devastated. The love of my life is gone and I'm all alone without her.
I'm sorry Steve, but I won't be able to do any more work on your platter.
I will be packing up and going back to my homeland of Australia sometime after her funeral.
Mal

#12 5 years ago

oh mal, so very very sorry to hear that...

i know it doesn't help, but your friends here are thinking of you...

#13 5 years ago

Mal, we are so sad for your loss.

Guys, I put a separate topic titled Mal's Personal Loss in the All Pinball section so others hopefully see it. Possibly we could comment there, so the maximum number of people see it. Mal contributes to many parts of the hobby so many have a connection with him.

Steve j.

#14 5 years ago

Very sorry for your loss Mal.

You are in our thoughts.

Take Care,

Ken

#15 5 years ago

Deepest sympathies. So sorry for your loss.

Joel

#16 5 years ago

Thank you Chris, Ken, Steve and Joel, I really appreciate your kind words.
Its nice to be in a community where I can make friends who have a shared common interest in pins.
I haven't met any of you in person but I would have loved to have done so one day.
Probably never happen now that I'm going home, but we can still keep in touch with this wonderful tool called the internet.
Thank you for starting a thread for me Steve, I'll go and read it shortly.
I've had a couple of hours sleep since her death so my mind is a little clearer today, but I'm still numb and have no idea how I'll get on without her by my side.
She had been battling leukaemia since 2007 so I knew the day was coming when her body would give up, but it just hurts so much when that day arrives.
I have tears in my eyes as I type this and can hardly see the screen.
Mal

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Unknown City, NY
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 229.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 27.95
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 29.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Playfield - Protection
COINTAKER.COM
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 164.00
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinfarmer Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside