(Topic ID: 213410)

Can u identify these mystery wires? (System 1)

By jaybird5619

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0032 (resized).JPG
IMG_0034 (resized).JPG
IMG_0033 (resized).JPG
20150124195404981 (resized).jpg
20150109241719464 (resized).jpg
Mystery wire 4 (resized).jpg
Mystery wire 3 (resized).jpg
Mystery wire 1&2 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

There are 4 unattached "mystery" wires on a Totem (System 1) I'm working on. The game works perfectly, however.

* 3 green/yellow wires terminate on the ground plane. 2 of them stop adjacent to the small transformer; 1 stops adjacent to the large transformer (see pix). Based on the length and bends in the wires, it would appear they originated on the transformers. Also, these wires are all bundled in the original stringing, so they do not appear to be later add-ons.

* 1 solid green wire comes off the right-hand lug of the right-hand bridge rectifier and goes to an unattached wire connector.

FYI: this machine has previously been updated with a Rottendog power supply and Niwumph board. It does not have a sound board installed.

I've checked the Totem manual, but it does not go into this level of detail.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mystery wire 1&2 (resized).jpgMystery wire 1&2 (resized).jpg
Mystery wire 3 (resized).jpgMystery wire 3 (resized).jpg
Mystery wire 4 (resized).jpgMystery wire 4 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Green wires with yellow stripe are ground.

The transformers usually have a terminal connector with a green-yellow wire screwed down on one of the mounting brackets. Are those wires present? If not, those might be for grounding the case of the transformers.

Also, it kind of looks like those wires aren't factory. Maybe that was someone's idea of a grounding mod for the circuit boards?

#3 6 years ago

Neither transformer has a grounding wire attached. So, the stray green/yellow wires must go to the transformers. But why 3 wires (since only 2 transformers) and any idea why someone would have cut them (they are cut clean -- no exposed wire or lugs are attached.)

#4 6 years ago

Example photo of where one of the ground wires attach to the transformer:

20150109241719464 (resized).jpg20150109241719464 (resized).jpg

Quoted from jaybird5619:

any idea why someone would have cut them (they are cut clean -- no exposed wire or lugs are attached.)

No idea. People sometimes do strange things to games when they don't know what they're doing.

The third wire has a crimped connection on it. It doesn't make sense to me to do that, so I have no idea.

But, there is a ground wire soldered to the EMI filter, so maybe that's where it's supposed to go?

20150124195404981 (resized).jpg20150124195404981 (resized).jpg
#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the photos (man, that's one clean wiring board!). I definitely do NOT have the ground connections you show. I'm going to go ahead and connect them to the transformers (but not the one coming from the rectifier). I traced all 3 green/yellow wires back to the ground plane, so I don't think I'm risking anything.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

man, that's one clean wiring board!

It sure didn't start out that way

Quoted from jaybird5619:

but not the one coming from the rectifier

Is it actually coming from the rectifier?

Is there a green-yellow wire attached to the middle pole of the EMI filter?

#7 6 years ago

1). Yes, the solid green wire is soldered directly to the rectifier. Where you have 3 solid red wires coming from your rectifier, I have 3 white-gray-red AND the solid green (which ends in a crimped connector).

2). There is no green-yellow attached to middle pole of EMI filter.

3). I found another cut yellow-green wire by the knocker -- sure seems like someone went through and intentionally de-grounded this machine.

Also, this machine was manufactured for France. I can't imagine that would affect the need to ground everything, but just FYI.

IMG_0033 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPG

IMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPG

IMG_0032 (resized).JPGIMG_0032 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

1). Yes, the solid green wire is soldered directly to the rectifier.
Also, this machine was manufactured for France. I can't imagine that would affect the need to ground everything, but just FYI.

The fact that it was wired for france might explain some wiring differences, and perhaps this was part of a conversion for 110v power?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

The fact that it was wired for france might explain some wiring differences, and perhaps this was part of a conversion for 110v power?

There's no reason to remove grounding no matter what the incoming voltage is.

Quoted from jaybird5619:

1). Yes, the solid green wire is soldered directly to the rectifier. Where you have 3 solid red wires coming from your rectifier, I have 3 white-gray-red AND the solid green (which ends in a crimped connector).

Huh. Very strange.

Quoted from jaybird5619:

2). There is no green-yellow attached to middle pole of EMI filter.

You need a wire going from the middle pole to the grounding strip, otherwise the game will not actually be grounded to anything.

Quoted from jaybird5619:

3). I found another cut yellow-green wire by the knocker -- sure seems like someone went through and intentionally de-grounded this machine.

That wire is probably for the metal plate housing power switch (which is hidden under the black plastic cover).

#10 6 years ago

Hmmm.... Is there any danger of me re-connecting them (I double-checked and all the green-yellow wires go back to the grounding plane). Or am I better to let sleeping dogs lie?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jaybird5619:

Hmmm.... Is there any danger of me re-connecting them (I double-checked and all the green-yellow wires go back to the grounding plane). Or am I better to let sleeping dogs lie?

Yes, the grounding wires should be reconnected. Otherwise you risk being shocked.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-wires-system-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.