• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B3AFD5A2-1DEE-45D1-A2F9-89ED2D89FF86 (resized).png
47F35B6F-3ED7-49EF-B5B3-EB21F9904597 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I burned up my lower right flipper coil on Grand Lizard last weekend (the EOS switch failed, it got locked on high power, then melted the coil sleeve). I figured I should replace the switch when I replace the coil, and I noticed that there's a double-stacked switch on that coil. This is a mystery to me, and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if it came like this from the factory or if it's some weird hack. Here's what I know:
1. The switch is wired to... something. I'm having a hard time tracing it.
2. It closes when the EOS switch opens.
3. It doesn't control the upper right flipper, because the cabinet switch does that.
4. It isn't for entering high scores, because the Magna-Save buttons do that.
5. Grand Lizard doesn't have any movable rollovers or anything, so it doesn't control that.
Anyone got any ideas?

47F35B6F-3ED7-49EF-B5B3-EB21F9904597 (resized).jpeg47F35B6F-3ED7-49EF-B5B3-EB21F9904597 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

Does the other flipper have one?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Does the other flipper have one?

Nope, it's only on the right side. The left side just has a single EOS switch.

#4 4 years ago

The EOS switches in that pic are cramped too close together adjust them a bit.If that coil is not working then you may have blown the fuse,the transistor and the diodes on that coil
1.replace coil
2.replace transistor
3.replace blown fuse

#5 4 years ago

Looks like a lane change switch with the blades reversed.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

The EOS switches in that pic are cramped too close together adjust them a bit.If that coil is not working then you may have blown the fuse,the transistor and the diodes on that coil
1.replace coil
2.replace transistor
3.replace blown fuse

I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical issue; the plunger won't move because the coil sleeve melted. Every other solenoid seems to be firing just fine. I'm just trying to figure out what that extra switch is for and if I need to order a double-stacked switch when I order my coil.

#7 4 years ago

From the manual, switch 48 Right Flipper EOS. I couldn't tell you what it controls though...

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

1.replace coil
2.replace transistor
3.replace blown fuse

Coil isn't transistor driven on this era

#9 4 years ago

According to the manual, it's a lane change switch... for a machine that doesn't have a lane change feature. Weird.

B3AFD5A2-1DEE-45D1-A2F9-89ED2D89FF86 (resized).pngB3AFD5A2-1DEE-45D1-A2F9-89ED2D89FF86 (resized).png
#10 4 years ago

From ipdb.

Grand Lizard' is one of three Williams games that went into production using System 11. All three games have incorrect schematics showing the same error by depicting placement of the flipper end-of-stroke switch on the wrong side of the coil. As far as we know, all games left the factory correctly wired for EOS. Only the schematics were incorrect. No Manual Amendments or Service Bulletins have been found that acknowledge or correct this error. For a correct drawing of EOSS placement, consult the schematic for Williams' 1986 'PIN·BOT' or subsequent Williams games.

#11 4 years ago

Are you sure it's not the upper flipper EOS. Because the cabinet button should be the flipper and magna save switches.

Or that switch is the magna save switch.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Are you sure it's not the upper flipper EOS. Because the cabinet button should be the flipper and magna save switches.
Or that switch is the magna save switch.

I'm pretty sure it's a lane change switch for a game that doesn't have lane change. The upper flippers have their own EOS switches, and Magna-Save has its own dedicated cabinet switches (and dedicated buttons, for that matter). It's pretty strange. Maybe they were originally planning to let you switch between the lit ramps with the right flipper button and then realized that would make the game too easy and changed the code. I have no idea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-switch-on-grand-lizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.