(Topic ID: 293421)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Pin (Fan petition/Idea Forum)

By Tez17

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by ArcadeRaid
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best Company for MST3K”

• Stern 2 votes
    13%
  • Jersey Jack 3 votes
    19%
  • Spooky 11 votes
    69%
  • American 0 votes

(16 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MST3k (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Okay, so I don't think its wrong of me to assume that some of you on here (Like me) are fans of the cult classic tv show; Mystery Science Theater 3000. Those of you that are, likely have heard of their success in raising funds on Kickstarter (for the 2nd time!!) for another season. This is a franchise that frankly is PERFECT theming for a pinball machine. Consider how well the Elvira pins or Bally's CFBL capture that classic campy B-Movie feel. I wanted to start this forum to toss around ideas on what types of things could be incorporated into a MST3K pin, who the best maker would be for it, and also just generate discussion for it. Crazier things have happened from forum discussions before so why not? For MST3K as a brand, now would be the best time to begin development on something like this since they are going independent from any network. More word of mouth discussion for them, the better.

For maker, as much as I would love them to be picked up by one of the two triple A brands right now (Stern/Jersey Jack, both for production number reasons and budget reasons), someone who might be more likely to take a chance with them would be Spooky Pinball. Somewhat fits given the ties of Wisconsin to both and the more "roots" origins of both groups.

I think it would be great if they could get an art design similar to what Stern did with their Ghostbusters pin. In other words, that hand drawn animation look that is still somewhat realistic. Pretty much exactly what they use in their "retro" poster artwork for the dvds (See attached). I think including all 3 of the hosts in some capacity could be great as well, maybe even offering different modes for each that involve "playing through" some of the notable films from their respective eras. Would love to see a variety of clips from some of the classic episodes and movies shown on a tv screen (Torgo anyone?). Perhaps when the game starts, you get the famous door sequence. Or use the door sequence on the playfield even? Several drop targets lined up for an infield "hallway sequence" to eventually get all the way to "Theater mode" which starts a movie (Complete within a time limit with movie sign noise playing). For toys, I think you have to include Tom Servo and Crow in some capacity. Gypsy would be fun but less essential (Some reason I'm thinking a magnet toy). Tom could have a similar toy mechanism to the gumball machine in Twilight Zone. Crow could maybe be a ball lock mechanism with his mouth, taunting the player as you go ala Funhouse. Too many options!!

The famous moon could maybe be done as a spinning toy in the backfield or made solid for the plunger handle. How much would the rights be to get Lou Reed's Satellite of Love playing as an Easter egg? Maybe to pay tribute to the mads of the show, there could be a lower playfield mode that would be Deep 13 or Gizmonic Institute. What are some general gameplay aspects you like/dislike about more modern pins? Other aesthetic looks you would want or hope to see? Comment below and lets get the discussion going!

MST3k (resized).jpgMST3k (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

To add to this, which movies would you want incorporated into the game? We're assuming some movies could be built into the gameplay/art itself and others could be shown just as clips in the "theater" (screen). My personal top 3 would be Mitchell, Final Sacrifice, and Great Spider Invasion. I have a soft spot too for Bride of the Monster but mainly because of its connection with Tim Buton's Ed Wood and less because of the actual episode.

#3 2 years ago

Seems very on brand for Spooky, but I'm not super familiar with the license.

#4 2 years ago

Space mutiny, that is my favorite.

#5 2 years ago

Retheme EHoH, change the house for the satellite of love, boom.

#6 2 years ago

A Deep13 lower PF maybe?

Wearing my MST3K LIVE hoodie as we speak!

#7 2 years ago

Stern should make it and have a stationary Tom Servo sculpt in the back left of the playfield that controls the ball with a magnet please.

#8 2 years ago

Some sort of "shooting challenge" with scenes from Birdemic would be so sweet.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Space mutiny, that is my favorite.

I am literally watching this episode on their Twitch channel as I am reading your comment. haha...

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Some sort of "shooting challenge" with scenes from Birdemic would be so sweet.

There could be an entire mode where you are selling slr pnls.

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

Interesting ideas so far. I'm happy to see others sharing their thoughts on this. One new thought I had was what if the whole machine was to be a new experiment by the mads? Meaning new clips could be filmed on whatever set is being used for the next season to show and give the machine its own "story" that could be progressed in a "choose your own adventure" format. Film clips from many of the old classic could still be used as well as cameos by former cast members. I've heard their Alice Cooper machine had a dungeon crawler aesthetic to its game play that could maybe be done here but using the Satellite of Love as a template with movie signs interrupting your quest during the game.

#12 2 years ago

I love the idea, but I worry that any company considering this would balk at the idea that it would require licensing not just for the show but probably also for many of the movies to be included. That seems like a nightmare for the legal department.

#13 2 years ago

Honestly I think a projector screen in the vein of Stranger Things would work really well for this theme. You could even project the shadow of Mike/Joel and the bots, just like the show.

This has me thinking now. Is the projector Stern uses a highly specialized piece of equipment, or can the same effect be pulled off with an off-the-shelf HDMI projector?

#14 2 years ago

I have to imagine the licenses of these movies aren’t too expensive compared to mainstream properties that are made into pinball games.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Rolpa:

Honestly I think a projector screen in the vein of Stranger Things would work really well for this theme. You could even project the shadow of Mike/Joel and the bots, just like the show.
This has me thinking now. Is the projector Stern uses a highly specialized piece of equipment, or can the same effect be pulled off with an off-the-shelf HDMI projector?

Really like this idea. Would totally fit this theme.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from PSchwisow:

I love the idea, but I worry that any company considering this would balk at the idea that it would require licensing not just for the show but probably also for many of the movies to be included. That seems like a nightmare for the legal department.

Many of the movies featured on MST3K, including Manos THOF and Space Mutiny, were public domain IIRC.

2 years later
#17 5 months ago

Deep Hurting Mode
Nummy Muffin Coo Coo Butter Mode
Mitchell (walka-chicka, walka-chicka) Mode

#18 5 months ago

Apparently in the recent livestream Spooky Pinball did in the Q&A that early on while they were doing their first pin, they were working on trying to get the MST3k license to make a pinball machine. Said that too many folks involved in the show wanted free machines as part of the deal that they bailed on the idea.

#19 5 months ago

I would love to see their silhouettes watching the animations and my score on the screen and making jokes about them (not them watching a movie, that's too distracting.)

#20 5 months ago

I dont care who makes it, as long as The Final Sacrifice is the movie they use.

#21 5 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I dont care who makes it, as long as The Final Sacrifice is the movie they use.

Rowsdower Multiball!

#22 5 months ago

Would love to see this IP, I even emailed Spooky to say I would crawl over broken glass to buy that pin.

#23 5 months ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

Rowsdower Multiball!

Larry Csonka mystery award!

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from Wilmmr:

Would love to see this IP, I even emailed Spooky to say I would crawl over broken glass to buy that pin.

Right, now that Spooky is a whole lot bigger than they were at the time they dropped the idea, it would be great if they revisited the idea to make a MST3K pin

#25 5 months ago

Don’t worry. It will be made into a machine some time “in the not so distant future”

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-science-theater-3000-pin-fan-petition-idea-forum?hl=tez17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.