(Topic ID: 344325)

Barrels of Fun Pinball- Labyrinth pinball. HYPE thread!

By Haymaker

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,247 posts
  • 457 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by drypaint
  • Topic is favorited by 189 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg
boo.gif
IMG_0993 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0979 (resized).png
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0934 (resized).jpeg
bof_topper.pdf (PDF preview)
20D6DB34-A5C3-44DA-993A-E85D8D885836 (resized).jpeg
Labyrinth-david-bowie-40642230-245-245.gif
Screenshot 2024-01-17 131915 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-17 132314 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-17 131915 (resized).png
IMG_20231225_125805 (resized).jpg
Labyrinth lunchbox (resized).jpg
hold.gif

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 65.
#1001 4 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:Deleted post

You reserved judgment for an entire paragraph!

#1002 4 months ago

Major props to a new company that managed to keep this pretty much a secret and unveil so much all at once and not be a complete train wreck. What a breath of fresh air.

#1003 4 months ago

Maybe I am missing it, but don’t see anything about a shaker motor.

#1004 4 months ago
Quoted from Orko:

I think this game might have stolen all the thunder from JJP’s upcoming release.

JJP's release never had any thunder to begin with (if it's actually Elton Yawn).

#1005 4 months ago
Quoted from Jj557:

Maybe I am missing it, but don’t see anything about a shaker motor.

True (your point, not that I know if there is one)

#1006 4 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

So how many is that? Sorry, but anyone paying in full regardless whose behind it with no impressions yet, no gameplay videos, or hardware specs is a fool with FOMO or wants to be the first to have it and only put like 20 plays on it and have to be the first to get it. I thought some sanity was coming back to the hobby.
Just wait 6 days till it’s revealed before dropping $10k or a $1k non refundable or non transferable deposit. Sorry that’s just stupid, especially if they are making 1100 units.

Perhaps it is more about YOLO than FOMO as long as we are using FLA's. I'm a married guy with no kids and no other financial burdens so it made sense to me to take a shot on a game I think could be (and hope it is) excellent. If it's not, I'll sell or trade it for something else. No harm no foul.

#1007 4 months ago

Agree 100%

Quoted from Slaitster:Perhaps it is more about YOLO than FOMO as long as we are using FLA's. I'm a married guy with no kids and no other financial burdens so it made sense to me to take a shot on a game I think could be (and hope it is) excellent. If it's not, I'll sell or trade it for something else. No harm no foul.

#1008 4 months ago

So how many is that? Sorry, but anyone paying in full regardless whose behind it with no impressions yet, no gameplay videos, or hardware specs is a fool with FOMO or wants to be the first to have it and only put like 20 plays on it and have to be the first to get it. I thought some sanity was coming back to the hobby.
Just wait 6 days till it’s revealed before dropping $10k or a $1k non refundable or non transferable deposit. Sorry that’s just stupid, especially if they are making 1100 units.

Based on today’s podcasts, I think it’s 10/maybe 20 units, The appeal for me of buying this first batch is the potential for future unforeseen delays like CGC….been waiting 2 years for that. Could also end up like Dutch, been waiting 16 months on that. I also have not been impressed with the middlemen distributors refusing to disclose my place in line or just being generally non responsive. Gladly will cut out the middle man for in stock inventory. I know it’s a gamble to buy a company’s first pin without much info, but I was really impressed with the podcast today and obviously the trailer. I am gambling this is going to be closer to a Lebowski quality game (and I think everything so far suggests it will be). Biggest concern is Spooky level QC issues. For me it’s not so much FOMO…I don’t think it will sell out anytime soon, I know I want this theme and am just sick of waiting 1.5 years + for games so jumped on the actual in stock inventory.

#1009 4 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Didn't see Bowen or Danesi listed as part of the team in the Knapp article, were people just guessing this or am I missing something?

Read here:
https://shop.kollectfun.com/about/

Bowen is part of the rules framework.

#1010 4 months ago

Some impressive talent here.

People

Art Director

Johnny Fraser-Allen has worked as a professional concept designer and illustrator specializing in building worlds for both big-screen blockbusters and tabletop games for 20 years. Honing his conceptual design craft on films like The Hobbit for Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson, The Narnia Chronicles for Andrew Adamson and Tintin and The BFG for Steven Spielberg over a 15-year career at the renowned Wētā Workshop.

No stranger to the Jim Henson Company, Johnny has illustrated and sculpted the components to both the Labyrinth and Dark Crystal board games as well as designing all the creatures for a yet to be released TV show. He designed the dragon and goblins featured in the recent hit film Portable Door. His modular Labyrinth Gaming terrain has been featured several times on Adam Savage’s Tested show. As a lifelong Labyrinth and pinball fanatic, art directing the official Labyrinth Pinball machine for Barrels of Fun has been a fulfilling step in a journey that started for him when he first saw the film 34 years ago.

Marketing Graphics

Blake Dumesnil is an award-winning Senior Art Director and Graphic Designer at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. He is one of the few artists to work with NASA’s astronauts and Russia’s cosmonauts on official flight patches for International Space Station missions. He has designed emblems for 9 ISS missions along with other NASA missions. Blake’s love for pinball started early as his father brought home machines before home collecting was ever a thing. He has worked for numerous arcades and pinball leagues, along with the Texas Pinball Festival. He is a co-showrunner of the Houston Arcade Expo.

Game Rules

Phil Grimaldi is a cognitive scientist specializing in how people learn and remember things. He discovered pinball while studying at Purdue University over a decade ago, and instantly fell in love with the game, as well as the complex mental skills required to succeed. Since then, he has been involved in nearly all aspects of the pinball scene: fixing/restoring/re-theming games, playing and directing tournaments, and co-founding the Space City Pinball League of Houston, TX. Thanks to Barrels of Fun, he can now add pinball development to that list! Phil designed the high-level rule structure for Labyrinth pinball and advised on the physical game design.

Bowen Kerins is well-known from his PAPA tutorial video series and his championship pinball play, including five PAPA and IFPA World Championships. He built the rules for Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle and Rick and Morty at Spooky Pinball, and Final Resistance at Multimorphic. He knows the rules and strategy of most games and game designers inside and out. His work on the rules for Labyrinth pinball has been invaluable. Make sure you watch his video tutorial on Labyrinth!

Animation

Trent Armstrong is a motion graphics and VFX artist who began playing pinball—mostly Taxi—in college with friends. This native Alabamian moved to Texas in 1997. He and his wife quickly acquired a Taxi. His friend Gabe introduced him to the Texas Pinball Festival a few years ago, where he was blown over by early versions of Multimorphic’s P3 games. Trent animated a P3 logo reveal for them which they promptly included in their games. That simple act gave him the courage to approach Barrels of Fun about being involved in Labyrinth pinball, and his animations have made the game more fun and interactive.

Engineering Design

Travis Moseman designs spacecraft for aerospace business proposals. He was a video game kid and car nerd forced into pinball by his husband… who now kinda regrets it. Travis enjoys Space City Pinball League events, volunteering as a pinball tech at The Wormhole in Houston and working on odd jobs at Barrels of Fun!

Software

Eric Priepke is an old guy now, but he was around when arcades really started to take off — and he loved them. Any time he could manage it, he was at an arcade, until he eventually got a job at the local Aladdin’s Castle. That job taught him how to clean and maintain pinball machines and the manager taught him how to really play. Understanding the game rules just made his interest in pinball grow even stronger. Sometime in the mid-90’s, he got a Twilight Zone, and other machines followed. His first foray into programming pinball was updating the code for Cactus Canyon, a Williams machine that was never really finished. That project led to the opportunity to write the software for Rick and Morty at Spooky Pinball. Now he’s just here having Barrels of Fun!

Technology

David Fawcett is responsible for holding all the technology together. His dynamic career spanning technology and game development, brings extensive expertise to this pivotal role. David’s journey began at Astrazeneca, working in data operations. He then led technical teams at IBM, specializing in Backup, Storage, Oracle, and Unix. In 2014, David’s dream of creating games led him to Spooky Pinball, where he authored software for six pinball games. Today, as Chief Technology Officer at Barrels of Fun, he oversees OS, network, servers, inventory, manufacturing ERP, and software development.

Manufacturing

Paul Sulisz is a hands-on and highly motivated individual with over 35 years of manufacturing engineering experience. He possesses a deep understanding of today’s manufacturing technologies and how to leverage them for a competitive edge. With a proven track record in various engineering and management roles, Paul excels at turning ideas into reality and driving cost savings. His experience includes implementing lean manufacturing practices, designing efficient work cells, and taking digital technology to the next level. Throughout his career, Paul has demonstrated his proficiency in tools like Solidworks and Mastercam, as well as extensive knowledge of industrial technologies, CNC machining equipment, and industrial programmable controllers. Paul is a dedicated professional with a passion for innovation and efficiency. In his role as Director of Manufacturing at American Pinball, he successfully set up the production line, designed fixtures, improved line effectiveness, and achieved a production rate of 11 games per day.
Founders

Designer and Chief Executive Officer

David van Es has 20+ years of experience in the Film and TV industry. David worked for Spooky Pinball for 7 years providing creative and production services, asset creation, project management, licensing, and business development. He has been involved in pinball for almost his entire life, having started his own pinball amusement route in Australia when he was 16. He enjoys all creative aspects of pinball including the repair and restoration of old machines. David’s passion to create world-class products makes him the perfect person to lead the Barrels of Fun team.

Chief Business Officer

Brian Savage retired from Fun Publications, Inc. after running the Hasbro-licensed G.I. Joe Collectors’ Club for 25 years, and the Hasbro-licensed Transformers Collectors’ Club for 12 years. During his tenure, he produced 34 International Collector’s Conventions that were attended by thousands of fans from all over the world (GIJoeCon and BotCon). He was in charge of manufacturing over 500 licensed G.I. Joe action figures and over 150 licensed Transformers action figures, as well as publishing over 450 magazine issues. His expertise in the collectible world is a huge asset to Barrels of Fun. Brian’s first experience with pinball was when his dad brought home one of the first Bally Fireball home edition machines in the late 1970s. He enjoys not only the games, but restoring them, and has a lot of games in his collection.

Barrels of Fun, llc
4903 W Sam Houston Pkwy N Ste A100
Houston TX 77041

(281) 313-5400

#1011 4 months ago
Quoted from Driz1847:

The girl in the trailer, erinwinick, just released a behind the scenes with some more close ups. Anyone know this location?
https://www.tiktok.com/@erinwinick/video/7289511405286329631?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7247712773601625643

Wormhole Pinball in Houston, TX.
https://www.youtube.com/@wormholepinball2918

#1012 4 months ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Some impressive talent here.

I agree, but I don’t think anyone is questioning the talent associated with this game. It’s can they deliver a quality product with a reasonable build time to satisfy the potential demand. But on the surface talent wise looking really good so far.

#1013 4 months ago

My "quick take", that doesn't mean much is. It seems like this could be fun, but that trailer didn't do much for me. Kind of reminds of when Pinball FX reveals one of their mediocre original titles.

#1014 4 months ago

So does this mean going forward Spooky has lost key talent or are they still contracted to Spooky?

Am very excited on the release on this title. Ticks a lot of fun boxes and having someway mechs is a win. Well done!

#1015 4 months ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

So does this mean going forward Spooky has lost key talent or are they still contracted to Spooky?

These guys have been gone from Spooky for a long time. Most of them worked on R&M…didn’t work on HW/UM or Scooby.

#1016 4 months ago

God, this looks soooo good! Still, I withhold my final judgement until I've actually played a pin. There have been many pins that looked awesome, only for the gameplay to be lackluster or even kinda crappy. I sincerely hope this is as fun to play as it is to look at. Here's hoping one of the places I go to play pinball gets one in sometime next year.

#1017 4 months ago

Spooky made the decision two games back to keep all of their staff in house in Benton, WI. A perplexing move considering the talent they lost but they still remain a contender in the industry as far as I’m concerned. I feel like Spooky makes cool interesting games but their last few releases lack the balance and reliability to be utilized in organized competitive play settings and…really…that’s ok. There’s a place for everything.

Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

Am very excited on the release on this title. Ticks a lot of fun boxes and having someway mechs is a win. Well done!

#1018 4 months ago

havent read the topic, just seen the 1st pics, and feeling i already "know" this design (as an inverted TURTLE)
but of course this is now true for every new pin...
lets wait for more

#1019 4 months ago
8866F84F-4C06-44DF-A78F-609963E8A8CF (resized).jpeg8866F84F-4C06-44DF-A78F-609963E8A8CF (resized).jpegDF356A02-F044-4194-9509-3799AD5096E9 (resized).jpegDF356A02-F044-4194-9509-3799AD5096E9 (resized).jpeg
#1020 4 months ago

Some of you asked about the venue where the trailer was filmed. It’s Wormhole Pinball. The folks there actually reached out to me with a bunch of pictures of their place and Labyrinth. Here’s a link for anyone who’s interested:

Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Pictures & Video of the New Labyrinth Pinball Machine

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/exclusive-behind-the-scenes-pictures-video-of-the-new-labyrinth-pinball-machine

There’s tons more on the site.

IMG_9694 (resized).jpegIMG_9694 (resized).jpegIMG_9703 (resized).jpegIMG_9703 (resized).jpegIMG_9715 (resized).jpegIMG_9715 (resized).jpeg
#1021 4 months ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

Some of you asked about the venue where the trailer was filmed. It’s Wormhole Pinball

That topper is gonna give black knight a run for its money as best one in pinball. Those picts of it are incredible.

#1022 4 months ago

Wifey watched the reveal trailer last night, said "looks fun", and then asked "Where's Jennifer Connelly?".... I told her she's not in it - wifey went back to watching tv and didn't care that much about the game from that point.

Guess it'll really need to be a knockout to flip at Expo or I'm out. Not buying a $10.6K game if we aren't both really excited to play it.

#1023 4 months ago
Quoted from Jj557:

That topper is gonna give black knight a run for its money as best one in pinball. Those picts of it are incredible.

If the mouths opened it'd be the best topper in history. Super beautiful sculpts, like the glowing eyes, moving heads is perfect.... only if they really talked.
That'd have been worth $1200 easy.

#1024 4 months ago

I placed an order yesterday directly on their website. If you get a Pw request like I did, I used Labryinth and it opened. Placed a preorder plus all the extra items. I called to speak with the front office first, but got the CEO. Spoke with David van Es for about 10min while he was preparing for Expo shipping. They were loading up and shipping north, so the games will be there for sure. No Sara confirmed, and he said not because of IP, but a deliberate choice for it to be your journey into the Labryinth and not hers. I would have loved to see her present but I understand costs and story arc make sense to cut somewhere. The games are set to start shipping right after Expo. Toppers and launchers expected to follow in January. You can order on their page or with distributors.

Game play looks great. Toys look good. Sadly the east mod options are terrible. The movie has limited merch that can be modified, Etsy has some great Hoggle style trinkets that would make good keychains for the key sets. I don’t label my keys, I mod them with the themes of my games. GF has a set of oranges, Hobbit has a dwarves key to erebor, TS has a forky toy.

Topper looks amazing, fiery head taunts are cute. Can’t wait for more info. Price is better than JJP out the door by far, but not pleasant.

#1025 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

These guys have been gone from Spooky for a long time. Most of them worked on R&M…didn’t work on HW/UM or Scooby.

So they didn't work on some of their worst games.

#1026 4 months ago

Eric P is currently coding an upcoming Spooky game. Looking forward to see what he comes up with for Labyrinth.

#1027 4 months ago
Quoted from mrclean:

It’s can they deliver a quality product with a reasonable build time to satisfy the potential demand

Can't do any worse than CGC .. CCR almost at 2 years on a remake, lord help them on a scratch build.

#1028 4 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Some time ago (like maybe 1 year), a pinsider was on here asking for money and investors for a "whale" new pinball machine. Is this the same guy/product?

Hahahahaha. No.

#1029 4 months ago

Looks like a fun game but I am not sure I will be able to get into the theme. My wife loves the movie and already said she would like to have one someday. The problem is every time my wife wants a game and gives me the thumbs up-I buy it and then she does not play it much once it arrives. Can't justify buying this one just for the wifey. I will sit on the sidelines and wait and see on this one. Looks fun and well built with a good layout-just not sure I can connect with theme in a way that makes me want to have to have it. -My wife is now trying to get me to rewatch the movie as I told her not sure the connection is there or not. I love 1980's cheese but not sure this flavor of cheese is for me?

#1030 4 months ago

Is it just me, or does the Bowie back glass look like the dude from Spinal Tap/Laverne and Shirley?

CFE184C5-C834-4047-9E03-6BA70286EE65 (resized).pngCFE184C5-C834-4047-9E03-6BA70286EE65 (resized).png
#1031 4 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Is it just me, or does the Bowie back glass look like the dude from Spinal Tap/Laverne and Shirley?
[quoted image]

It does a bit. Doesn’t look like Bowie. The eyes are too close together. Weird.

#1032 4 months ago

Im not a fan of the backglass. I did just order the alternate backglass. I ordered them at separate times as it says it will ship with the machine. I can take that 2 ways. They swap the glass and you just get the alternate version or they send both. I opted to just order separate orders so that way i know I’ll have both.

Quoted from DanMarino:

[quoted image]

#1033 4 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Wifey watched the reveal trailer last night, said "looks fun", and then asked "Where's Jennifer Connelly?"

Without her character in there it's like Alice in Wonderland without Alice. I get that the protagonist is the player, but without the Sarah character the theme is David Bowie in a codpiece and a bunch of tired off-brand muppets. But hey, diverters!

#1034 4 months ago
Quoted from canea:

Without her character in there it's like Alice in Wonderland without Alice. I get that the protagonist is the player, but without the Sarah character the theme is David Bowie in a codpiece and a bunch of tired off-brand muppets. But hey, diverters!

I’m sure it was a licensing decision and the public rationale is “you’re the protagonist”. It is a wise PR stance. I’m of two minds. It might help immersion. But there are many, many examples of pins and video games where the star is present and you are in their shoes. Look at Godzilla. You’re Godzilla, and the game is chock full of Godzilla. All the Zelda games (Link is a Star bigger than any single game by now). Mario. And so on.

#1035 4 months ago

I’ll grant you, “It’s YOUR journey into the labyrinth!” is a good way to spin “we tried and failed to obtain the rights necessary to include the main character.” And I wouldn’t blame them at all with continuing forward without those rights. But if it actually was a design choice from the get-go, I’d question their judgment. I don’t think pinball is immersive in that way. You don’t feel like you’re part of the story, you feel like you’re playing pinball lol! It’s fun that parts of the story are referenced in response to your play, but it doesn’t put you IN the story.

#1036 4 months ago

Does anyone know the dimensions of the pin with the legs on?

#1037 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm pretty sure Fawcett worked on RZ, ACNC, and HWN/UM. I dont have much time on ACNC, but the broken mess that was RZ and HWN code was all him. HWN code has come further since he left the project than during the 1.5 years he was working on it, imo.

#1038 4 months ago

The in stock inventory on their website sold out this morning. Will be interesting to see how preorders are handled between them and distributors. A lot of these guys come from Spooky who has always been very up front about how they are prioritized. Excited to be in on the November batch.

Quoted from superNoid:

Does anyone know the dimensions of the pin with the legs on?

Dimensions are on the flyer

IMG_2247 (resized).jpegIMG_2247 (resized).jpeg

#1039 4 months ago

And some of us are operators who have done due diligence by reaching out to people involved, distributors, looking into the FAST system, listening to an hour long interview with Van Es about the design and production of Labyrinth and THEN made an educated decision to purchase the game and are not fools or idiots or whatever dumb ignorant shit you said.

Sorry, but anyone paying in full regardless whose behind it with no impressions yet, no gameplay videos, or hardware specs is a fool with FOMO or wants to be the first to have it and only put like 20 plays on it and have to be the first to get it. I thought some sanity was coming back to the hobby.
Sorry that’s just stupid, especially if they are making 1100 units.

#1040 4 months ago

I won't miss Sarah in the game at all. I understand the sentiment from people that it's not "complete" with her absence but the almost Caillou level of whining "Oh it's not fair!" at every turn was always a turnoff for me. Labyrinth is my favorite movie of all time and this is a dream theme for me in every sense of the term. I'm a huge Henson fan and the highlights for me of Labyrinth were always the incredible world and cast of characters he created along with the magic of David Bowie. I had hesitations about it being done by a brand new company but from all the looks they have knocked it out of the park. I just finished listening to the podcast and have a lot of confidence that this is being done right and can't wait to get my game!

#1041 4 months ago

This theme and scooby doo are a toss up of which is my biggest dream theme.. I never thought Scooby and especially Labyrinth would ever be made.

On the Sarah topic. Growing up watching Labyrinth I never really cared about Sarah. It was all about bowie and the puppets for me. I can't recall any good quotable lines from Sarah. All the quotes I use and see others use come from bowie or the puppets.

#1042 4 months ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

Some of you asked about the venue where the trailer was filmed. It’s Wormhole Pinball. The folks there actually reached out to me with a bunch of pictures of their place and Labyrinth. Here’s a link for anyone who’s interested:
Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Pictures & Video of the New Labyrinth Pinball Machine
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/exclusive-behind-the-scenes-pictures-video-of-the-new-labyrinth-pinball-machine
There’s tons more on the site.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for sharing. I couldn't help but think about the pressure I'd feel playing that game for the video. DON'T DRAIN, DON'T DRAIN!!

#1043 4 months ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

And some of us are operators who have done due diligence by reaching out to people involved, distributors, looking into the FAST system, listening to an hour long interview with Van Es about the design and production of Labyrinth and THEN made an educated decision to purchase the game and are not fools or idiots or whatever dumb ignorant shit you said.

This is so out character for Bally usually his input on JJP threads is so valuable!

#1044 4 months ago
Quoted from Jj557:

The in stock inventory on their website sold out this morning. Will be interesting to see how preorders are handled between them and distributors. A lot of these guys come from Spooky who has always been very up front about how they are prioritized. Excited to be in on the November batch.

Dimensions our on the flyer
[quoted image]

Thanks!!

#1046 4 months ago

The sad thing is: they said it wasn't an IP issue to put her in the game...... so they had the IP to use Jennifer and CHOSE not to use it.
The movie IS Jennifer's story: A young immature girl with a kidnapped baby brother - and a weird Gobo King that took a shine to her.
Bowie is a supporting (and fascinating) character - but the audience's connection, identification and empathy is for the Sarah character (and her forced growing up story). No one is rooting for Bowie to win and Sarah to stay in the Labyrinth forever - for what purpose? (we know the purpose, com'on).
It's a big risk: young girl trapped forever with Bowie..... it was never for the little brother: throw him in the bog, no one will care.

Now reverse it: it's YOUR story now. You're in the Labyrinth..... why? Do you have a baby brother? I don't. What reason do you have for being there?
So "the bulge" is after you? Why? What do you have to offer him? Some dude with a bulge chasing after you, wanting you to stay..... Creepy.
It doesn't work with you as the star (IMO).

All the little creatures are your friend? Why? What did you do for them? You're probably some old dude - they would have eaten you.

Great looking game, huge miss not offering a choice to play as Sarah or yourself. It should have been a choice. Too much material to willingly throw away.
They were probably worried about guys not wanting to play as a chick (just guessing), or thinking the immersion would be greater (no).
The movie is Sarah's story - the nostalgia is for the movie - it's criminal to leave her out when they had the assets.

I hope they change their minds and offer her as an "Ellen" code update. That would fix everything. Choose your character - choose your fate. Choose the movie poster as a mirrored backglass.

Just my option.

#1047 4 months ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

It does a bit. Doesn’t look like Bowie. The eyes are too close together. Weird.

That's also a weird angle too, not direct. But yeah, the likeness isn't as solid as I'd hoped either. He also has a weird elongated neck that doesn't seem to follow anatomy. (Which is not a good thing.)

#1048 4 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

The sad thing is: they said it wasn't an IP issue to put her in the game...... so they had the IP to use Jennifer and CHOSE not to use it.
The movie IS Jennifer's story: A young immature girl with a kidnapped baby brother - and a weird Gobo King that took a shine to her.
Bowie is a supporting (and fascinating) character - but the audience's connection, identification and empathy is for the Sarah character (and her forced growing up story). No one is rooting for Bowie to win and Sarah to stay in the Labyrinth forever - for what purpose? (we know the purpose, com'on).
It's a big risk: young girl trapped forever with Bowie..... it was never for the little brother: throw him in the bog, no one will care.
Now reverse it: it's YOUR story now. You're in the Labyrinth..... why? Do you have a baby brother? I don't. What reason do you have for being there?
So "the bulge" is after you? Why? What do you have to offer him? Some dude with a bulge chasing after you, wanting you to stay..... Creepy.
All the little creatures are your friend? Why? What did you do for them? You're probably some old dude - they would have eaten you.
Great looking game, huge miss not offering a choice to play as Sarah or yourself. It should have been a choice. Too much material to willingly throw away.
They were probably worried about guys not wanting to play as a chick (just guessing), or thinking the immersion would be greater (no).
The movie is Sarah's story - the nostalgia is for the movie - it's criminal to leave her out when they had the assets.
I hope they change their minds and offer her as an "Ellen" code update. That would fix everything. Choose your character - choose your fate. Choose the movie poster as a mirrored backglass.
Just my option.

I disagree and think they made the best possible choice. I like the Sara character but she is probably the single most annoying thing about the movie. BOF wanted to make the player experience the world not make us be Sara.

Brilliant in my opinion. I think it shows restraint on the design front and this was clearly a passion project.

#1049 4 months ago

The absence or inclusion of a character in a pin doesn’t often have a big impact on whether or not the pin ends up being fun to play.

When it comes down to it, I don’t think whether or not the Sarah character is in the game will matter.

Like any other pin, at the end of the day what will matter most is:
-Is it a fun layout that shoots smoothly on a reliable machine?
-Are the rules fun/interesting
-Are there good callouts, sounds, and music to create some cool pinball moments in the game

#1050 4 months ago

‘Throw the baby in the bog’ mini wiz video mode

Quoted from PinStalker:

Just my option.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Tools
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Tools
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 10,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 3,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 65.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-pinball-company-labyrinth-pinball/page/21?hl=ballykiss1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.