(Topic ID: 278117)

Mystery: Do Some Pinballs Weigh More than Others?

By AlonzoMoselyFBI

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0730 (resized).jpg
IMG_0729 (resized).jpg
IMG_0728 (resized).jpg
990C4B9E-D4C2-49FF-9A43-61C571E8DDBE (resized).png
200.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from AlonzoMoselyFBI:

I dig all that but the balls in High Speed were new when I bought it (5 years ago), and I'm the only one who plays the machine. They weren't in terrible shape. The new balls flew around so fast that the ramps and guides could barely corrall the damn thing. It was no longer fun to play with all the glass strikes, the ball jumping over the inlane guide and draining and rolling around on TOP of the f*cking plastics I immediately put the slow balls back!

I wonder if your line voltage is on the higher end of the spectrum?

If I remember correctly, most electronics prior to about 1990 were designed for a 115v line voltage. In most regions, the nominal line voltage has crept up over 120v (as high as 125-128v in some cases) in the past couple of decades. If this is the case where you live, then the coils in these older games could conceivably fire a little harder than originally intended; this, plus the effect of cleaning everything could potentially explain the increased airballs and loss of control on the ramps.

As to the glass, the sound of the ball hitting it is disconcerting, but it almost certainly won’t break. I once fumbled and accidentally dropped a PAR-38 flood light bulb squarely on the center of a pin glass from a height of about 7ft; the bulb bounced right off and didn’t even leave a scratch (though it did inflict a small ding in the cabinet of an adjacent machine ).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-do-some-pinballs-weigh-more-than-others?tu=Thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.