pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20230203_160916- (resized).jpg
8E57E63B-8E5B-44BF-8F6D-4F18F23B03F1 (resized).jpeg
9EC6C26E-AFA1-4457-91D3-CA0190696871 (resized).jpeg
2E4F7C3F-8396-4C69-934B-1841C39B0BAD (resized).jpeg
2C944B0C-48D9-4503-8208-71DEAB59BD2B (resized).jpeg
776C1F70-ABC7-445E-AFA3-BD0640B98307 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattelder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Awesome game, and I'm glad it's FINALLY starting to get some love/respect.

Mine had the revision 3 ROMs from the factory, as well as the normally missing display ROM at U6, so I'd have to dig through notes to recall everything that was changed/added. I do remember that the tilt warning animation (creepy guy pointing at you) was added, as well as a change to how the wizard mode is started.

Post edited by MattElder : typo

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtySouth:

So I've just had my first issue with my new game... It was barely kicking balls into the shooter lane, now it won't kick balls at all. What's the problem?

Check to see if you have a loose connection on one of the coil wires (or if one of the small coil winding wires is broken), or perhaps something is goofy with the coil sleeve or plunger/link if it was just being slow before. It's a pretty simple and reliable mech, so it should be an easy fix.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Based on the prices, it's been getting some respect for a while.

Yeah, in the last couple years the prices have come up a lot, but it's not just that....it's that we're starting to see a lot more posts with people talking about how much they enjoy it. That's what I truly enjoy seeing, especially being the Alvin G nut that I am.

Quoted from goatdan:

It's ridiculously unique. I love that the upper flipper has absolutely no direct feed to it except the shot that basically flings the ball directly at it. Once you start understanding what is going on, it's very cool

Oh, it has a direct feed (the secret door), just only during cetain modes. It is frustrating that it ended up like that....but originally there was supposed to be an upper playfield that dropped the ball down in front of that flipper.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

What is everybody's favorite mode? Personally I have a love\hate feeling about Pandora's box. I love the heavy breathing sounds and light show but it seems to do what it was designed to and cause a drain about 50% of the time. It always feels good to survive that one.

I have a hate/hate relationship with the Pandora's box mode. Just as you said, it's a good way to drain a ball.....and not get much for it. I let it time out every time. I will say, the sound effects are cool though.

Doom mode is probably my favorite. Other ones that I really enjoy: dragon idol, coat of arms, and painting. Who am I kidding, the whole game rocks (except for Pandora)

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Because you can play for 20 min and score 200,000 points.

Neo,

Are you sure the game you were playing was working 100%? There is no way on earth someone can play a MC for that long and rack up such a low score. Let's assume you're being a bit sarcastic and you're actually above a few million....that would still be very hard to do! I've had mine for about 6 years and had many piss poor games, but even those were in the 70-80 million range. Some of my better ones getting up around 2 billion.

More to the point, if you play for 20 minutes, you're going to see ALL the modes, several of which have ramp shots worth 5 million+ a piece. Something's not adding up.

Post edited by MattElder : typo

2 months later
#32 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

Hit me up if one of you guys tires of your MC. I'm looking to add MC and Punchy the Clown to complete the Alvin G portion of my gameroom (ok, so my pins are really spread out throughout my house, but someday I'll actually have everything in one central gameroom ).

It's great to meet another crazy Alvin G collector here!

Don't forget about the flipperless version of USA Football. Pinside doesn't have an entry for it since it's a flipperless game (mine is added in as just another head-to-head). Only 11 made, and it's pretty boring, but I'll keep you in mind if I run across another one.

I have a friend that's looking into finishing the prototype Slam 'N Jams and doing a small run. So we may have that to look foward to!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Hi. The crown on mine does not light up any more.I have swapped in and out working globes so it is not just a blown globe. Would this be a transistor problem? Any help much appreciated before I go barging in.
Thanks.

Definitely check into what Brian Suggested, but FWIW, I've had a couple failures of the diodes on the top side of these Alvin G light boards. A new diode got the light going again, but be careful, as those traces lift easily....

2 years later
#55 8 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Looks like one of the rare proto type (sample) games !!
Condition is not so nice what I can see.
Plerase check if in front of Targets and ramps this "banderols) are White with no text or printed with the Name of the ramp / target.
Protos have also not this littlw dots on the cabinett, ist completely black.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

That's not a proto machine. The cabinets being 'speckled' or not actually seems to come and go throughout the run. The playfield does look really nice, though.

Yep, just a normal game here, but nice looking. They had a lot of leftover World Tour cabinets (and playfields.... hence the crapload of NOS ones that are out there), so who knows how many ended up getting re-screened for MC.

Regarding the speckled MC cabinets, as Brian said they seem to come and go throughout the run. I asked former art director Dan Hughes about why there were 2 different cabinet versions and he said Churchill screwed up and delivered some without the white speckles. They were all supposed to have them....

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Gonna disagree. There have been a couple sub 4k in the last 6 months that have sat for awhile. I was looking at one, but after having a game with hard to get parts (PM) opted against it.

This could be, but the majority of them have been going for what Brian mentioned. Have been for a few years now....

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

In other news, I really wish someone would repro the ramps with decals! That would save many of these games

Yeah, these would be great. I sold a lot of NOS MC ramp sets over the years and always wished I had decals for them. The old ones can be tricky to take off and salvage/transfer.

I am working on getting flipper pawls reproduced, but still very early in the process, so who knows if it'll happen....

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

So on my game, the ball drains to the left outlane a lot when it pops out the outhole on the left side of the playfield. Anyone else have this issue? Trying to figure out how I might remedy this as it's super annoying.

It happens from time to time. One thing that helps a bit is to bend the wall-type ball guide to the left of the kickout hole. Push the top of the guide (part closest to the hole) out towards the siderail, and push the top of the lower part of the ball guide in towards the playfield a bit. Basically, you're slightly twisting the whole thing to push the ball away from the outlane.

1 month later
#77 8 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

How are you guys changing globes?
I just noticed that alot of mine are just stapled to the underside of the playfield.
Buy new sockets and change them out or re staple?
Looks to be about 20.
Scott.

Scott,

I always change the lamps from the topside of the playfield. Just strip anything off that's in the way. The ramps can be a pain to remove, but it's a lot less hassle to go this route than to pull staples and remove sockets. I finished stripping a MC playfield from a parted out game a while back (yes, definitely a shame someone trashed one of these rarities!), and it was quite a job removing the staples. I can't imagine doing it with a playfield in a cabinet, especially just to replace burnt out lamps.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from TG:

Does anyone have this decal, or a scan of it? If I can get a scan I'll make my own, if anyone is willing to help me out. Thanks.
Todd

Mystery_Castle_moon_decal_(resized).JPG

Todd,

I will get you a scan from mine. Send me a PM as a reminder though, and keep on me so I don't forget. My scanner at home is broken so I'll have to take it somewhere when I get a chance....

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from pin15:

Thanks for link. Thought heard someone in US sold these as well. 20 dollar shipping from Aus little steep.

Yes, Marco still has some in stock... http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DTP-001

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from pin15:

Thanks Matt just ordered from Marcos.
Loving my mc - just got the #2 serial number game that made its way through couple of us on Pinside. It's a keeper plays different than anything else I have.

No problem. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it. It really is an amazing game. The artwork, music and layout just come together perfectly and it really draws you in. Have fun with it!

1 week later
#100 8 years ago
Quoted from TG:

Can you owners tell me if the moon face on the backglass is a decal, or a plastic piece with standoffs? Thanks!
Todd

As Dan and Tom said, the angry moon is just a decal that is stuck to the backside of the backglass, BUT originally the plan was to have an angry moon plastic mounted on the light board with standoffs. These plastics pop up from time to time.

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Is it the same sound board as Pistol Poker? I could swap them to try but I don't have tons of time right now to do so...

No, the sound boards in these 2 games are different.

1 year later
#131 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Has anyone ever purchased these drop targets from Marco? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DTP-001
Are they the exact size as the originals? I noticed in the manual the C-A-S-T-L-E targets are part number BUT-M08, and Marco's are listed as DTP-001.

Hey Dave. Congrats again on the game! The part number for the drop targets is indeed DTP-001, and it’s correct in the manual. What you saw is the part number for the plastic above the CASTLE drops. The parts are broken up on different pages. What you were looking at was the page for ball guides, plastics and rubbers. Flip back to game specific parts, and in the exploded view of the drop target assembly you’ll see the number. For what it’s worth, Alvin G & Co. tried to make part numbers make sense somewhat, so if you see a number like BUT-M08, you know it’s for a plastic....or Butyrate. Anyway, what Marco has should be NOS, but I can sell you some as well.

As far as the blue translucent targets go, I’m low on the blue ones, but you can try to find round translucent ones and cut the sides off to make them rectangular. I did that a lot when I was completely out of the proper part.

I have an art file for the bullseye drop target decals here, so I can send it to you to print some new ones.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

You are THE MAN Matt... Seriously, thanks again for all of your help thus far. I'll PM you for the targets and decals.
I'm probably going to have more questions as I dig through this game. Right now, I'm trying to have my power supply repaired and replaced which I'm sure will be an adventure in itself. Really wish that PCA-028 PS from Marco was compatible.
Also, notice how my moon is taped on four sides... I assume that's an adhesive sticker that should've been applied directly to the translite, right? Not sure what yo do there. Leave it be, or try to remove it and apply it correctly. I'm afraid the tape may pull art off the back if I remove them.

Thanks, I’m glad to help where I can.

I’m going to check out my PCA-028’s here sometime to see if they can be made to work. I would think that they might be backward compatible somehow, but the board footprint and layout is much different, so wire lengths and connector issues might be a problem.

For some reason the angry moon decal was taped on at the factory instead of using the self adhesive on the decal. I’ve left mine alone. I’m guessing you could get that tape off the backglass masking okay, but it never bothered me enough to try.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Quick question - does anyone have the original pink sticker that sits in the middle of the apron scanned? It's the graphic with the pinball being sliced into several pieces.
The vending company who originally sold the game to the previous owner NIB, threw their sticker on the apron. I hate when they do that. I'm afraid to peel it off, but I also wouldn't mind it staying to tell the story of it's origins. I'm thinking of getting the sticker reprinted and laminated, and just place on top so I can have both available to show.

I should have several still. I'll get it to you with whatever else we send your way.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Regarding the lights with red condoms on them. I assume these are just regular GI lights that glow whenever the GI is activated, and do not come during their own special sequences, right?
I'm trying to coordinate my LED order, and wanted to put red LED towers in those spots with 4SMD warm white bulbs around them. Has anyone put towers under their plastics in this game?
Thank you!

No, they aren’t normal GI, they’re an alternate set of GI that is activated during Doom mode to give the playfield an eerie red glow.

1 week later
#150 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Has anyone replaced the foam squares that are glued to the bottom of the ramps? Mine are a little dirty and may make more sense to replace them with fresh material.

Quoted from davebart5:

Still looking for info or advice on what others have done to replace or even clean the foam squares at the bottom drop holes of their ramps.

You can clean the originals with rubber ring cleaner, but I’d just replace them with fresh rubber. Here you go: same part, except blue instead of gray.... https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=689

2 months later
#169 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I had to step out on a quick biz trip, but will be back early next week to dig in and evaluate the connectors.
I'm also going to dig into the loud pop I get when I turn the game off.

Without being able to hear it, I’m guessing your “loud pop” is normal. Every Alvin G game is very loud when turned off. That aspect of their system has always driven me nuts.

1 month later
#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

So I had some time this evening, and a handful of left over leds laying around, and decided to Led the backbox. I noticed that the #44 bulbs in the bottom right and top left corners (enclosed by the reflector/deflector paper) do not work. The flashers in those areas work fine but none of the 44s. Any thoughts as to why just those sockets don’t work? All other bulbs / flashers are fine.

They are only illuminated in certain modes, so if the machine was just simply on and in attract mode, none of these will work. Go into lamp test to illuminate them.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

They don't work in lamp test either. Single or matrix. Don't work during any gameplay that I saw either.

Ahh, gotcha. Let me get back to you again sometime when I'm free and am near my machine. We'll get to the bottom of it.

4 years later
#246 1 year ago
Quoted from th3-captain:

My Mystery Castle Shooter pin or plunger assembly (I’ve new to this but seen it called both) broke. The plastic-like tip broke off the metal plunger. Trouble is, the Mystery Castle shooter is like a lot of the machine, apparently unique, at 4.25 inches long. The generic Gottleib plunger assembly you can easily find is just 3.75 inches and fires the ball so hard it jumps the track. Does anyone know where I can find a suitable replacement.
[quoted image]

I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure I have more than one ball launch assembly left, and if so, I'll sell one. If not, I may still have just the plunger. Please shoot me a PM as a reminder to look in the stash...

2 weeks later
#249 1 year ago
Quoted from TomDK:

My friend Matt asked me for a rampdecal for the large left ramp.
So me and ClarkKent worked some weeks to reproduce the decal from my game.
The result is very nice ....
So if someone needs this decal, I know small numbers on MC, can contact me. Price will be 20 Euro plus shipping.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you, Tom, and @ClarkKent! You guys did a great job. I appreciate it very much!

All you other owners with spare ramps out there, please throw some business their way.

My original decal bit the dust about 13 years ago when I tried to remove it in order to install it on an NOS ramp. These can be very brittle, so be careful! I had been looking since then to find someone that could/would make them true to the originals, with all the transparent areas, and these guys came through. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattelder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-castle-fan-club?tu=mattelder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.