pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20230203_160916- (resized).jpg
8E57E63B-8E5B-44BF-8F6D-4F18F23B03F1 (resized).jpeg
9EC6C26E-AFA1-4457-91D3-CA0190696871 (resized).jpeg
2E4F7C3F-8396-4C69-934B-1841C39B0BAD (resized).jpeg
2C944B0C-48D9-4503-8208-71DEAB59BD2B (resized).jpeg
776C1F70-ABC7-445E-AFA3-BD0640B98307 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 10 years ago

Maybe you are having some high voltage issues? Reseat all your connectors in the backbox and also check your voltage from the wall. My MC is especially finicky on the power at the outlet.

I absolutely LOVE this game. I don't know that you can get the full effect even playing it at a show. A big part of the appeal is the atmosphere that the lights and sounds create. It's seriously one of my favorite pins of all time and I doubt I will ever sell.

Brian

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is the most random scoring game i've ever played. I like it, but man do the rules need to be finished and some tweeking.

What's wrong with the scoring? I always thought it was pretty well balanced and the rules are fairly deep. Sure, a few of the modes don't give you as many points as they probably should, but I think that's the case in most mode based games.

Doom mode is without a doubt my favorite. I never get tired of the screaming skull in Doom multiball. I think everyone loves this part of the game.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yours are the ones where i'd get the super slow scoring, until the right mode, then bam. Shit-o-millions.

I don't know how you'd be scoring so low in a 20 minute game unless you are cradling the ball the whole time. Lots of the modes give you decent points. Some are better than others, of course, but none are that fruitless. If you don't know the rules and you aren't hitting the right shots during modes, I could see how a mode might seem low scoring, but that applies to any game. You could hit total annihilation in AFM and get 0 points if you don't hit anything. I really doubt you're that bad of a player.

2 months later
#33 10 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

The crown on mine does not light up any more.I have swapped in and out working globes so it is not just a blown globe. Would this be a transistor problem? Any help much appreciated before I go barging in.

I would suspect the header pins for that lamp board. Have you tried reseating the connector or wiggling the connector during a lamp test?

2 months later
#40 10 years ago

One really nice one went for 6.1k last year. I wouldn't part with mine for $4k. Not sure about the particular demand in Australia, but there's actually a lot of Alvin G parts there.

1 year later
#45 8 years ago

I've gone as far as to use a weak rubber band to take up the slack on my right flipper assembly. Still, all original flipper mechs and it still plays great. I'll keep them going as long as I can. I wish someone would repro these wear and tear A.G. parts.

#48 8 years ago

Seems like $4k-5k the last few years.

#52 8 years ago

That's not a proto machine. The cabinets being 'speckled' or not actually seems to come and go throughout the run. The playfield does look really nice, though.

1 month later
#80 8 years ago
Quoted from pin15:

Anyone know where to get replacement drop targets. Ordered some from pinball life work but different than existing ones.
Thanks

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/dtp-001.html

7 months later
#107 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

As for a deal, translite is mint

It should be a real backglass and not a translite. The GI issues with the backbox seem to be pretty common and it looks like the connectors at the top right of the driver board are prone to overheating, so LEDs can help prevent this. I found that the basic pinballlife flat frosted LEDs work great. I used white aside from purple for the welcome sign and used a paper strip as a diffuser there to make it look like neon. Congrats on the score.

1 month later
#119 7 years ago

Congrats on the update. It's worth the trouble. I have had my MC for about 7 years and never broke a drop target. Maybe they aren't dropping properly?

#122 7 years ago

Maybe the stock that is left has become brittle over the years.

1 year later
#148 6 years ago

Here's the image for the drop target decals you needed. I made this by hand, but it should be pretty accurate.

MC-drop-hires (resized).jpgMC-drop-hires (resized).jpg

1 month later
#157 5 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

#2 the match effect is turned off if you have it on free play.

I have mine on freeplay and still get the match animations. Maybe you have the match feature turned off?

Quoted from davebart5:

3.) Hunt Button on front of cabinet: Does your Hunt button also start a game if pressed? I notice it acts just like the Start button, and I constantly hit it on accident when leaning over the game to look at something haha.

Mine does this. I am always starting games accidentally if I am working on the game or cleaning it.

1 month later
#183 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Also, the King item is shown as ????. Were they simply out of time and published the game with that code, or do we feel that mystery scoring is on purpose, making the player reach the crown to find out?

I think it's intentional. The game is called 'Mystery' Castle, after all... better have some damn mystery in there or that's just false advertising.

3 weeks later
#193 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

1.) Forcefully shoot a ball up the far left dungeon lane, so it comes down through the ballroom and may hit the left flipper to give you a chance to shoot it back through one of those two lanes.

This is what I usually do. I just hit that orbit and the ball comes out of the ballroom straight to the upper-left flipper on mine. It's always a live shot at first, but once you make a ballroom or tower shot it becomes more controlled. Sometimes I can get a rhythm going and loop together a few ballroom and tower shots. Keeping the tower ramp well waxed helps.

4 years later
#255 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

This game has serious “one more game” vibes. Question for you audio peeps, I have a bit of static emanating from my speakers. Do people usually update the speakers on MC, or is it important to keep it original?

I love the sound effects, with just about every shot, target, ramp, switch producing a sound effect. There really is something to the way this game sounds.

I took a few pics as I waxed and shopped this new game out. The playfield is really holding on very well.

That's a very nice looking MC you got there! I like the look of that speckled cabinet. Mine is just flat black.

I haven't personally heard of needing to swap the speakers out. The audio quality in this game is one of the high points. I do get a minor amount of background noise from the DMD when it's in attract mode, but nothing that distorts the audio while playing. Maybe there is a loose connection somewhere, or there's a problem with the sound board, or a blown speaker?

#258 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

My best so far…collected 10 items and scored well on Doom. Only 3 balls too. I actually haven’t earned a single extra ball yet. The settings must be on difficult.

On standard settings, collecting the crystal ball should light the extra ball shot at the right ramp.

1 week later
#263 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

So i have been trying to install Rev3 software on my MC but i can't get the new DMD roms to work? The CPU v3 works fine but not the DMD ones.

The Rev3 has 3 eprom instead of 2 for the Rev2 so i am wondering if there are some jumpers or other changes needed on the DMD board to make it work?

It's been an eternity since I updated my MC to Rev3, but from what I remember, I swapped the chips and it ultimately worked without changing any jumpers. I think I had also had issues with the DMD being blank at first, but then it started working after a few reboots and has worked ever since. I can't say why... it's a mystery! There was something about two different versions of the DMD rom existing tho, and some machines seemed to work with one but not the other.

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

i tried 2 versions of the ROM from IPDB, same deal. Though i didn't try to reboot multiple time when getting blank DMD i assume it wasn't working. Any chance you still have the machine and can take a picture of the board?

display roms (resized).jpgdisplay roms (resized).jpg
#274 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

no proble. you look to have the same DMD board as mine and a working Rev3... I just can't understand why isn't mine working Seems unlikely there is an issue with the 3rd EPROM socket but i guess it could be?

Where those ROM factory or after market?

The Rev3 ROMs were factory. It seems that only late run machines had shipped with them installed. Most of the machines shipped with Rev2 and were never updated.

4 months later
#286 10 months ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

my MC has been degrading into recurring "please wait" freeing/restart issue during this week NW pinball show. It happens as soon as someone start a game or soon after, also sometime when turning on the game the sound blast a loud buzzing sound...

I was told to look at the power supply board 5v/12v, and i adjusted to pots putting the 12v a little higher to 12.2v with some success but the issue returned. what is the recommended voltage? 5v was at 5.5v and 12v is at 12.2v.
That board is serious hacked and looked kind of fry. Anyone knows the best way to get a replacement? Any other troubleshooting i should do?

It was a hit at the show until it went down

From what I have seen, that power supply board is pretty difficult to find a replacement for and it's a common failure point. Clive at CoinOp Cauldron offers a rebuild service for this board if it's not too toasty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-castle-fan-club?tu=Betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.