pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20230203_160916- (resized).jpg
8E57E63B-8E5B-44BF-8F6D-4F18F23B03F1 (resized).jpeg
9EC6C26E-AFA1-4457-91D3-CA0190696871 (resized).jpeg
2E4F7C3F-8396-4C69-934B-1841C39B0BAD (resized).jpeg
2C944B0C-48D9-4503-8208-71DEAB59BD2B (resized).jpeg
776C1F70-ABC7-445E-AFA3-BD0640B98307 (resized).jpeg
There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 10 years ago

Members welcome...

#2 10 years ago

Wow this game is seriously great.

I'm going to be getting the 3rd rom installed this week hopefully.

What are the differences?

#3 10 years ago

So I've just had my first issue with my new game... It was barely kicking balls into the shooter lane, now it won't kick balls at all. What's the problem?

#4 10 years ago

Awesome game, and I'm glad it's FINALLY starting to get some love/respect.

Mine had the revision 3 ROMs from the factory, as well as the normally missing display ROM at U6, so I'd have to dig through notes to recall everything that was changed/added. I do remember that the tilt warning animation (creepy guy pointing at you) was added, as well as a change to how the wizard mode is started.

Post edited by MattElder : typo

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtySouth:

So I've just had my first issue with my new game... It was barely kicking balls into the shooter lane, now it won't kick balls at all. What's the problem?

Check to see if you have a loose connection on one of the coil wires (or if one of the small coil winding wires is broken), or perhaps something is goofy with the coil sleeve or plunger/link if it was just being slow before. It's a pretty simple and reliable mech, so it should be an easy fix.

#6 10 years ago

I love my MC as well the sounds and light show are among the best of any game I have ever played.

Quoted from DirtySouth:

Terrible way to start a fan page the only problem I've had with mine was the exact opposite it was hammering the drained ball so hard that it popped both of them into the lane, only thing I could see wrong was the game was slightly off level,fixed that and has been fine ever since. Pull your apron off and see what is going on probably an easy fix

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Awesome game, and I'm glad it's FINALLY starting to get some love/respect.

Based on the prices, it's been getting some respect for a while.

It's ridiculously unique. I love that the upper flipper has absolutely no direct feed to it except the shot that basically flings the ball directly at it. Once you start understanding what is going on, it's very cool.

#8 10 years ago

Have never gotten to play the game; but I'm joining the fan club anyway because I like the theme and it looks cool! Ya'll start bringing that sucker to a couple shows and expos for the rest of us to enjoy!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ya'll start bringing that sucker to a couple shows and expos for the rest of us to enjoy!

Join us at the MGC. I'll have at least one there, and if I get off my lazy butt two.

#10 10 years ago

Wow, I just had a second issue... Everything is lit up but nothing is showing on the dmd. I press the start button but nothing happens. Any help?!

#11 10 years ago

Maybe you are having some high voltage issues? Reseat all your connectors in the backbox and also check your voltage from the wall. My MC is especially finicky on the power at the outlet.

I absolutely LOVE this game. I don't know that you can get the full effect even playing it at a show. A big part of the appeal is the atmosphere that the lights and sounds create. It's seriously one of my favorite pins of all time and I doubt I will ever sell.

Brian

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Based on the prices, it's been getting some respect for a while.

Yeah, in the last couple years the prices have come up a lot, but it's not just that....it's that we're starting to see a lot more posts with people talking about how much they enjoy it. That's what I truly enjoy seeing, especially being the Alvin G nut that I am.

Quoted from goatdan:

It's ridiculously unique. I love that the upper flipper has absolutely no direct feed to it except the shot that basically flings the ball directly at it. Once you start understanding what is going on, it's very cool

Oh, it has a direct feed (the secret door), just only during cetain modes. It is frustrating that it ended up like that....but originally there was supposed to be an upper playfield that dropped the ball down in front of that flipper.

#13 10 years ago

Love mine and some very unique ramp flow...I know of no other game that feeds a flipper from a ramp to which you can instantly reverse direction back up the same ramp to a different location.

#14 10 years ago

I got to play ssbodyman's recently at a tournament was a cool fun game pretty simple at least for me. I liked it played great could almost save any ball going down the middle I don't know why..? But all drains were outlanes.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Yeah, in the last couple years the prices have come up a lot, but it's not just that....it's that we're starting to see a lot more posts with people talking about how much they enjoy it. That's what I truly enjoy seeing, especially being the Alvin G nut that I am.

That's also thanks to people being willing to bring some of them out to shows to show just how unique they are.

I was FLOORED recently to see one at Mad Rollin' Pinball because other than mine, I had never actually seen another anywhere.

Oh, it has a direct feed (the secret door), just only during cetain modes. It is frustrating that it ended up like that....but originally there was supposed to be an upper playfield that dropped the ball down in front of that flipper.

Well, right. I actually like that it ended up like that, it makes that upper flipper really unique, and some of those shots with it nearly impossible to make. I think that's really cool.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I was FLOORED recently to see one at Mad Rollin' Pinball because other than mine, I had never actually seen another anywhere.

Hey, your not the only one dumb enough to let a bunch of Wisconsinites beat on your game.

What is everybody's favorite mode? Personally I have a love\hate feeling about Pandora's box. I love the heavy breathing sounds and light show but it seems to do what it was designed to and cause a drain about 50% of the time. It always feels good to survive that one.

#17 10 years ago

this is the most random scoring game i've ever played. I like it, but man do the rules need to be finished and some tweeking.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

What is everybody's favorite mode? Personally I have a love\hate feeling about Pandora's box. I love the heavy breathing sounds and light show but it seems to do what it was designed to and cause a drain about 50% of the time. It always feels good to survive that one.

I have a hate/hate relationship with the Pandora's box mode. Just as you said, it's a good way to drain a ball.....and not get much for it. I let it time out every time. I will say, the sound effects are cool though.

Doom mode is probably my favorite. Other ones that I really enjoy: dragon idol, coat of arms, and painting. Who am I kidding, the whole game rocks (except for Pandora)

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is the most random scoring game i've ever played. I like it, but man do the rules need to be finished and some tweeking.

What's wrong with the scoring? I always thought it was pretty well balanced and the rules are fairly deep. Sure, a few of the modes don't give you as many points as they probably should, but I think that's the case in most mode based games.

Doom mode is without a doubt my favorite. I never get tired of the screaming skull in Doom multiball. I think everyone loves this part of the game.

#20 10 years ago

I really love this game. Had a chance to purchase one - and I let it go - which I regret. (Dan was lucky enough to snag it).

I do own Pistol Poker, you can tell it was made by the same company - espeically some of the sounds and DMD animations. Great game - I'll try and get one someday.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

What's wrong with the scoring? I always thought it was pretty well balanced and the rules are fairly deep. Sure, a few of the modes don't give you as many points as they probably should, but I think that's the case in most mode based games.
Doom mode is without a doubt my favorite. I never get tired of the screaming skull in Doom multiball. I think everyone loves this part of the game.

Because you can play for 20 min and score 200,000 points. Then all of a sudden you'll be in a certain mode and it shits out 25 million...50 million 75 million in the blink of an eye, after you worked your ass off before getting 2500 points for this. 10,000 for that. Very unbalanced. Most mode based games are NOT like that. Take Tommy or TAF for example. Most modes you end up with scores around 15-25 million per mode. Give or take. But all modes are fairly balanced. that would be like TAF gives you 145 points for a standup. maybe 2400 points for a pop. Then shits out a 100 million because you started Festers tunnel hunt and shot the chair.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Because you can play for 20 min and score 200,000 points.

Neo,

Are you sure the game you were playing was working 100%? There is no way on earth someone can play a MC for that long and rack up such a low score. Let's assume you're being a bit sarcastic and you're actually above a few million....that would still be very hard to do! I've had mine for about 6 years and had many piss poor games, but even those were in the 70-80 million range. Some of my better ones getting up around 2 billion.

More to the point, if you play for 20 minutes, you're going to see ALL the modes, several of which have ramp shots worth 5 million+ a piece. Something's not adding up.

Post edited by MattElder : typo

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

That's also thanks to people being willing to bring some of them out to shows to show just how unique they are.

It is so nice when people bring rare pins to shows and always very much appreciated by everyone. I'm bringing my first game to a show next month and hope to start bringing more to shows in the future.

#24 10 years ago

I think the main one I played had very early roms in it. It does effect things greatly. Some roms out there are very very unfinished.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think the main one I played had very early roms in it. It does effect things greatly. Some roms out there are very very unfinished.

No, mine are the most complete ones, and were in their originally.

#26 10 years ago

yours are the ones where i'd get the super slow scoring, until the right mode, then bam. Shit-o-millions.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yours are the ones where i'd get the super slow scoring, until the right mode, then bam. Shit-o-millions.

I don't know how you'd be scoring so low in a 20 minute game unless you are cradling the ball the whole time. Lots of the modes give you decent points. Some are better than others, of course, but none are that fruitless. If you don't know the rules and you aren't hitting the right shots during modes, I could see how a mode might seem low scoring, but that applies to any game. You could hit total annihilation in AFM and get 0 points if you don't hit anything. I really doubt you're that bad of a player.

#28 10 years ago

no, but hitting ramps and such that arn't lit, or hitting them when they arnt part of your mode, give you shit for score.

1 month later
#29 10 years ago

Hi. The crown on mine does not light up any more.I have swapped in and out working globes so it is not just a blown globe. Would this be a transistor problem? Any help much appreciated before I go barging in.
Thanks.

3 weeks later
#30 10 years ago

Huhu ....

I am also in the club ... in my small but nice colelction are 3 Alvin G. machines but MC is the nicest: sound , atmosphaere ... great !!

scottnds: maybe the lamp socket .. can you messure power on the line ? Desolder and hold it directly on a bulb ? Working ??

#31 10 years ago

Hit me up if one of you guys tires of your MC. I'm looking to add MC and Punchy the Clown to complete the Alvin G portion of my gameroom (ok, so my pins are really spread out throughout my house, but someday I'll actually have everything in one central gameroom ).

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

Hit me up if one of you guys tires of your MC. I'm looking to add MC and Punchy the Clown to complete the Alvin G portion of my gameroom (ok, so my pins are really spread out throughout my house, but someday I'll actually have everything in one central gameroom ).

It's great to meet another crazy Alvin G collector here!

Don't forget about the flipperless version of USA Football. Pinside doesn't have an entry for it since it's a flipperless game (mine is added in as just another head-to-head). Only 11 made, and it's pretty boring, but I'll keep you in mind if I run across another one.

I have a friend that's looking into finishing the prototype Slam 'N Jams and doing a small run. So we may have that to look foward to!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

The crown on mine does not light up any more.I have swapped in and out working globes so it is not just a blown globe. Would this be a transistor problem? Any help much appreciated before I go barging in.

I would suspect the header pins for that lamp board. Have you tried reseating the connector or wiggling the connector during a lamp test?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Hi. The crown on mine does not light up any more.I have swapped in and out working globes so it is not just a blown globe. Would this be a transistor problem? Any help much appreciated before I go barging in.
Thanks.

Definitely check into what Brian Suggested, but FWIW, I've had a couple failures of the diodes on the top side of these Alvin G light boards. A new diode got the light going again, but be careful, as those traces lift easily....

#35 10 years ago

Thanks all.
Have been a bit slack as I have a new Flintstones that is getting the love at the moment.I will check what you guys have suggested.
Thanks again.

2 weeks later
#36 10 years ago

I have taken off the light board and the first test no cont from pin to light.The trace at the pin needed a little bit of solder and now light is working again.Thanks for the advise.
Also had a problem where when I turned the machine on it would launch a ball.I was going to replace the micro switch but noticed the diode was broken off so re soldered and problem gone.

2 months later
#37 10 years ago

Hi.Just wondering what a MC is worth these days.I am thinking of moving mine on as it does not get the love now I have the Flintstones and Stargate and just want to put a fair price on it.I am in Australia.
I have read the discussion here that one went for 4K on ebay.That seems a bit steep IMO.
Any comments welcome.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Hi.Just wondering what a MC is worth these days.I am thinking of moving mine on as it does not get the love now I have the Flintstones and Stargate and just want to put a fair price on it.I am in Australia.
I have read the discussion here that one went for 4K on ebay.That seems a bit steep IMO.
Any comments welcome.

I have no idea what it would go for in Australia, but I paid about what the one went on eBay for one of mine, and I brought it with me to the MGC last year. I had at least a half dozen offers higher than what I paid for it. I wouldn't sell.

I also have a broken one, I'm hoping to fix it and bring that one for sale at the MGC this year. It's a really great game!

#39 10 years ago

PM sent to scottnds.

#40 10 years ago

One really nice one went for 6.1k last year. I wouldn't part with mine for $4k. Not sure about the particular demand in Australia, but there's actually a lot of Alvin G parts there.

1 year later
#41 8 years ago

Hi still got MC .Doing some maint on flippers.My right flipper throws out a fair spark at the EOS would changing the big yellow cap on the flipper help?
Thanks.
Its been a bit quiet in here.

1 week later
#42 8 years ago

Just came to realize recently that during skull/DOOM mode if you get the crystal ball item before you drain the ball you get 2 extra balls instead of one. Its funny because it had happened to me a few times without me knowing and I thought the game was having issues. Usually after you get crystal ball and shoot afterwards up the right ramp the game will say "I see an extra ball in your future" But if your still in skull/DOOM mode it will say "I,I see,see an extra ball in your future" I thought it was a glitch but you do get 2 extra balls. Love this game AAAAHHHH DOOOOOOOOM !!!!

4 months later
#43 8 years ago

Hey guys, just joined the club! Question: the flippers on mine are the original Alvin G's and honestly, the flippers just don't seem as tight and controlled as I want. Has anyone exchanged them for Williams and if so, did you find it made a difference?

#44 8 years ago

I played a Alvin G with Bally/Williams System 11 flipper unit. Yes, it is a big difference due to new coils, coilstops, and bushing.
It is too bad that there are no parts for Alvin G. available.

I will also rebuild my PP with Sys11 parts ... seems to be the onliest way to get power back to the flippers. The coils can stay the same !

I am also thinking on bushings made from bronce for Alvin G.
Will hold a lifetime but will cost nearly 20 Dollar each ...

#45 8 years ago

I've gone as far as to use a weak rubber band to take up the slack on my right flipper assembly. Still, all original flipper mechs and it still plays great. I'll keep them going as long as I can. I wish someone would repro these wear and tear A.G. parts.

#46 8 years ago

Swapped out the plungers and links and that helped a ton. Still think the bushings are weird on Alvin G as they don't really set the height of the flipper very solid tho.

#47 8 years ago

I have one in really nice condition and thinking of selling it, what is the going rate for a MC like in 9 playfield 7 cabinet condition and no errors. Thanks

MC20_(resized).jpgMC20_(resized).jpg

#48 8 years ago

Seems like $4k-5k the last few years.

#49 8 years ago

Looks like one of the rare proto type (sample) games !!
Condition is not so nice what I can see.

Plerase check if in front of Targets and ramps this "banderols) are White with no text or printed with the Name of the ramp / target.

Protos have also not this littlw dots on the cabinett, ist completely black.

#50 8 years ago

Here is a picture of my MC playfield I think it is a 9 what do you all think? This should show the targets.

mc21_(resized).jpgmc21_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

There are 289 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-castle-fan-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.