Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4362 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

Awhile back, I was fortunate enough to find a Genco two-player basketball game. To say it was rough is an understatement. Good news, it came with some balls. Bad news, it came with the balls in the pic. While the size is fine (~ 1.5" in diameter), they are several times heavier than the balls that go with the game. Unlike the Genco balls, they appear to be solid. Does anyone know if these are for some other old game?

IMG_4362 (resized).JPGIMG_4362 (resized).JPG
    #2 5 years ago

My first thought was Gottlieb's 300 or Top Score, but at 1 1/2", I think they're too big for that.

#3 5 years ago

Mystery continues....

2 months later
    #4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Awhile back, I was fortunate enough to find a Genco two-player basketball game. To say it was rough is an understatement. Good news, it came with some balls. Bad news, it came with the balls in the pic. While the size is fine (~ 1.5" in diameter), they are several times heavier than the balls that go with the game. Unlike the Genco balls, they appear to be solid. Does anyone know if these are for some other old game?[quoted image]

Are they made of glass? If so, they were likely originally utilized in a prewar pinball or arcade game.

#5 5 years ago

They remind me of balls used in Games on the Rockaway Boardwalk from the late 50s, early 60s.

A roll down ball game that had holes different and scattered, that were either playing cards, letters, pretty girls.
    They lit up corresponding back glass lites.
    When a Poker hand was made, tic tac toe, a word spelled, a red light would go off, and an operator would hand out tickets,
    and reset the game.

I cant be sure,but they were heavy enough that some of the older boys would swipe them, and use playing street hockey.

Does it feel like that weight? I remember boxes of those balls.

When the games went to self dispensing tickets, the surface changed, and they went to rubber balls...

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I cant be sure,but they were heavy enough that some of the older boys would swipe them, and use playing street hockey.

Does it feel like that weight?

I've never played street hockey (grew up in an area with gravel roads and hills, not very conducive to that game) so I don't know about the weight. However, they do have a decent 'heft' to them, much heavier than the Genco balls (which, as I'm sure you know, are much heavier than the ping pong balls they appear to be).

#7 5 years ago

I was also thinkinking of carnival balls thrown to knock down milk cans???

Tough to know where the balls have been!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I was also thinkinking of carnival balls thrown to knock down milk cans???

Per my memory, you used softballs for that or at least something a whole lot bigger than these, as these are close to ping pong ball sized

#9 5 years ago

Could be any oddball old EM arcade game really. Some guy somewhere is probably looking for them thinking he'll never find them.

1947 P&S Tom Tom?

#10 5 years ago

Might be from one of Genco's several upright games like Golden Nugget or Jumpin' Jacks. I've seen the balls for those games in white, black, red and green.
    here's a link to a video of one in action.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Could be any oddball old EM arcade game really. Some guy somewhere is probably looking for them thinking he'll never find them.

1947 P&S Tom Tom?

I can't really tell the size; however, I think we may have a winner. Color looks spot on and the weight/thud of the ball as it hits the pf also seems to be correct.

(Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Unless it went to some game that I really wanted, it seems like a shame to have them just gather dust, especially if they are unobtanium for some poor soul. By the way, I'm still waiting on you to find a nice project small bowler! )

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Might be from one of Genco's several upright games like Golden Nugget or Jumpin' Jacks. I've seen the balls for those games in white, black, red and green.
    here's a link to a video of one in action.

Could be that the color is throwing me off, plus the video is such that you can't really see the size or get a feel for the weight but it seems like the Tom Tom ball is closer

#13 5 years ago

My thoughts are wrong, with reference to them as Ping pong Ball size.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Even at your age Art you should remember where your balls have been.

LTG : )

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Even at your age Art you should remember where your balls have been.
    LTG : )

I took exception when they dropped from "Skeeball" to "Ping Pong Ball" In size!
    (and dont start in on your 8" Flipper!!)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mystery-ballswhat-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.