Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 202 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FBE5310-358E-4AC5-BF98-298E0B13A385 (resized).jpeg
    C4B149CB-15EF-4CFC-959D-E382B7853F42 (resized).jpeg
    180A4174-862F-4083-89A5-6AA21D703680 (resized).jpeg
    050595B0-2055-4AE8-BC3B-1509D4868BE0 (resized).jpeg
    ACEE23B4-E42A-44EC-A01C-F2E3460C43A5 (resized).png
    68B5CAB9-FE63-40C6-BBE1-F2406F1FB375 (resized).jpeg
    7C1B41FD-8F17-4304-AEC7-A1F316BF0233 (resized).jpeg
    EAF74C3E-1679-4F08-9258-A02480896B74 (resized).jpeg
    061FB2C5-C568-42B9-940B-E16C5B2B3D66 (resized).jpeg
    B596078C-80C3-411B-9AE7-A3D42FDADAB8 (resized).jpeg
    A41F5D1E-657D-4631-8290-EFA5E7709F6D (resized).jpeg
    B05B62F8-1F9C-44F6-912A-D2A7DA56E40B (resized).jpeg
    Source (resized).png
    W EM Tag (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 11.35.16 PM (resized).png
    giphy-1071801727 (resized).png
    There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 1 year ago

At first glance there’s no room for the mystery tag on the heaviest playfield ever, Williams Wild Card. Alas there is a staple with something ripped from it in the 2nd picture.

6E12CABF-3D6A-40D5-BB7B-756F65C46F84 (resized).jpeg6E12CABF-3D6A-40D5-BB7B-756F65C46F84 (resized).jpegE68E8243-CBCD-479F-8F57-B0E6BEA673BE (resized).jpegE68E8243-CBCD-479F-8F57-B0E6BEA673BE (resized).jpeg
    #52 1 year ago

Duncan Brown did a lot of archives for Williams after they closed. Lot of items for Steve Kordek.
    Maybe he could put a help to the tag?

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

Duncan Brown did a lot of archives for Williams after they closed. Lot of items for Steve Kordek.
    Maybe he could put a help to the tag?

That would be cool!

I really hope once this is revealed whoever exposes the label isn’t found afterwards dead by suicide with 3 gun shot wounds to the back of the head

Someone higher up in the Williams family has tried really hard to keep this secret for a LONG TIME.

#54 1 year ago

Here is a picture of the Toledo I had...

playfield label crop (resized).jpgplayfield label crop (resized).jpg
    #55 1 year ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

Here is a picture of the Toledo I had...[quoted image]

They tried to switch it up on us with this one putting the notice card to the left and the mystery card in the center!

0BB7C022-1059-4EB1-A381-9CD4D9671029 (resized).jpeg0BB7C022-1059-4EB1-A381-9CD4D9671029 (resized).jpeg
    #56 1 year ago

#labelgate

#57 1 year ago

Any help Inkochnito ?

#59 1 year ago

I’ve got 40 or so WMS I’ll start looking at maybe someone slipped up.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve got 40 or so WMS I’ll start looking at maybe someone slipped up.

Awesome!

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

frobozz is Duncan Brown.

I’ll send him a PM thanks!

#62 1 year ago

Any thought to it being some sort of warranty registration card or something similar that the operator would send back to Williams as a way to register the game and to prove they know how to properly get into the game to service it?

#63 1 year ago

1967 Ding Dong

20221006_054304 (resized).jpg20221006_054304 (resized).jpg
    #64 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Any thought to it being some sort of warranty registration card or something similar that the operator would send back to Williams as a way to register the game and to prove they know how to properly get into the game to service it?

Could’ve been but there are numbers on the left side of the card so unless they listed the instructions out to claim a warranty it’s unlikely.
    I really think it’s a checklist of sorts but if it’s on 100s of thousands of machines that came out in the 70s how does no one have one intact? So crazy.

The return cards were a little more specific 5D9D05B5-9861-4F37-B49A-EB125EBD258E (resized).jpeg5D9D05B5-9861-4F37-B49A-EB125EBD258E (resized).jpeg

8DA2EB5D-6899-45C2-B83B-8B8DABEF9369 (resized).jpeg8DA2EB5D-6899-45C2-B83B-8B8DABEF9369 (resized).jpeg
    #65 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

1967 Ding Dong
    [quoted image]

Another confirmation that the 60s games didn’t have it. Thanks for checking

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’ll send him a PM thanks!

Got your PM. Jay from IPDB had already pointed me to this thread but sadly I got nothin' - It's pretty obvious is was something that was *supposed* to be ripped from the game before it made its way to the customer, or else you would have found one intact by now.

I'm pretty sure absolutely everyone who could possibly answer this is dead... just, you know, from age, not because they were killed to keep them quiet. Unless someone has spotted one of these on a SS game...then there are people I could contact who might possibly know. If they are only on EMs, then it's probably some checklist of relay bank switch adjustments or something.

#67 1 year ago

Here's a completely made up theory, but based on knowing how pinball factories work. One of the first things someone would have done to a blank playfield at the beginning of the line was stapled a bunch of stuff to it - cards, ground braid, etc. (We know this is done first because so many things end up on top of the stapled-down stuff.) So maybe they stapled on a card with the name of the game or a sequence number or something on it.

Than that playfield makes its way down the assembly line, and at some ending point (maybe playfield test, maybe final test) that card is ripped off and stuck in a folder/binder/envelope to denote one game making it to that point in the process. Want to know how many playfields were completed that day? Count the little tickets. You can be darn sure nobody is going to forget to rip one of those off, and take a hit on their numbers for the day!

The fact that there are only two staples, not 4, is a really good indication that it was not intended to be on the playfield forever.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

Here's a completely made up theory, but based on knowing how pinball factories work. One of the first things someone would have done to a blank playfield at the beginning of the line was stapled a bunch of stuff to it - cards, ground braid, etc. (We know this is done first because so many things end up on top of the stapled-down stuff.) So maybe they stapled on a card with the name of the game or a sequence number or something on it.
    Than that playfield makes its way down the assembly line, and at some ending point (maybe playfield test, maybe final test) that card is ripped off and stuck in a folder/binder/envelope to denote one game making it to that point in the process. Want to know how many playfields were completed that day? Count the little tickets. You can be darn sure nobody is going to forget to rip one of those off, and take a hit on their numbers for the day!
    The fact that there are only two staples, not 4, is a really good indication that it was not intended to be on the playfield forever.

I appreciate you chiming in! I agree with your theory. It’s just amazing that none slipped by.

Quoted from frobozz:

I'm pretty sure absolutely everyone who could possibly answer this is dead... just, you know, from age, not because they were killed to keep them quiet.

I hope that’s the case, you open yourself up to danger by discussing these details. Please keep a heighten 360 degrees sense of awareness for the next few weeks! Trust no one!

#69 1 year ago

None to be found on my Gorgar or Honey.

48CE7109-E122-4DA9-AAA1-0E51596B240F (resized).jpeg48CE7109-E122-4DA9-AAA1-0E51596B240F (resized).jpeg85343FBF-A8A0-4A90-9459-F63D939848E4 (resized).jpeg85343FBF-A8A0-4A90-9459-F63D939848E4 (resized).jpeg
    #70 1 year ago

I’m just waiting on the one Pinsider whose Williams machine has more of the label left than just the little corner under the staples that would have some wording on it.

Then we can really make this thread catch fire.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’m just waiting on the one Pinsider whose Williams machine has more of the label left than just the little corner under the staples that would have some wording on it.

It’s out there somewhere, probably in that warehouse that has the Ark of the Covenant at the end of Raiders!

#72 1 year ago

I don't have an EM with a missing label. I have never had an EM with a missing label. Now I feel... cheated, alone, outcast... as I've never felt before. Now I want one.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Personally I was wondering if enough fragments from different machines could be gathered up and they could be assembled as a composite ala CSI.

ASSEMBLE AND ENHANCE!

#74 1 year ago

A checklist that was torn off at final inspection of playfield.

Changed to stickers with SS generation.

#75 1 year ago

I thought the same thing, but there are a lot of examples that have the "Tested" sticker right next to the mysterious area...maybe its a downstream assembly checklist that is signed off by each tech that is removed once the final test sticker is applied.

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from fixintoplay:

I don't have an EM with a missing label. I have never had an EM with a missing label. Now I feel... cheated, alone, outcast... as I've never felt before. Now I want one.

We must get this man his missing label so it can also be missing from his game!

#77 1 year ago

I had a pretty vivid dream last night on what was on the mystery label…

2C2A5681-F73E-4F0E-B217-301AC13F6187 (resized).png2C2A5681-F73E-4F0E-B217-301AC13F6187 (resized).png
    #78 1 year ago

My Aztec has the staples but no label. Argosy has no indications that there were ever any labels in that area.

20221007_151558 (resized).jpg20221007_151558 (resized).jpg20221007_151607 (resized).jpg20221007_151607 (resized).jpg20221007_151613 (resized).jpg20221007_151613 (resized).jpg
    #79 1 year ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

My Aztec has the staples but no label. Argosy has no indications that there were ever any labels in that area.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s another strange anomaly I’m seeing with this, some games have the staples but the same title won’t.
    The Argosy I found on IPDB has the staples but yours is untagged.

#80 1 year ago

Since we're guessing, could it have been some kind of parts bag? If so it would had to have been torn off for final assembly. Back later, I hear the choppers...

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from spinout:

Grand Prix
    [quoted image]

I was looking over things and I think you provided an additional clue. I notice there are dashes around the perimeter of the label.
    So now we know:
    1. the orientation of the printing is landscape
    2. There is red text that is in the “hand drawing” or “new century schoolbook” style font according to the numbers 1 & 2 seen earlier in this thread
    3. A dashed line around the perimeter

CEFF0062-C4B4-416E-AE7D-C09A11FC2F98 (resized).jpegCEFF0062-C4B4-416E-AE7D-C09A11FC2F98 (resized).jpeg

#82 1 year ago

My 1958 Gay Paree has a serial number tag about that size stapled into the head box. It appears that Williams may have tracked the machine subassemblies thru manufacture that way. The tag matches the serial number stamped on the front of the base box. Just a SWAG. I’m not where I can get a picture right now.

#83 1 year ago

Check the IPDB under Gay Paree. There is a picture of the inside of the head box. Tag is half hid behind the wiring harness

#84 1 year ago

I looked up the game and I think this is the label you are referring to.
    I agree it’s pretty close in size and even has a dotted perforated edge but I don’t know why they would’ve ripped this tag off every playfield if it was this.

9AA0238A-D13D-420C-A3DC-1BCAFD0B43FB (resized).jpeg9AA0238A-D13D-420C-A3DC-1BCAFD0B43FB (resized).jpegD8D9E18B-DE7D-4D4B-9CE5-2A2E76DF9585 (resized).jpegD8D9E18B-DE7D-4D4B-9CE5-2A2E76DF9585 (resized).jpeg
    #85 1 year ago
    Quoted from OldPinGuy69:

My 1958 Gay Paree has a serial number tag about that size stapled into the head box. It appears that Williams may have tracked the machine subassemblies thru manufacture that way. The tag matches the serial number stamped on the front of the base box. Just a SWAG. I’m not where I can get a picture right now.

I thought the same thing when I saw the dashed line: lightbox id copy (resized).jpglightbox id copy (resized).jpg

#86 1 year ago

I agree. No idea why the tag was removed unless it was for accounting.

Quoted from mrm_4:

I looked up the game and I think this is the label you are referring to.
    I agree it’s pretty close in size and even has a dotted perforated edge but I don’t know why they would’ve ripped this tag off every playfield if it was this.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

#87 1 year ago

I examined a few of our games looking for the staples and fragments. All the 70s games had signs of them. One interesting one was triple strike. The area where the label would have been was mostly covered by another adjustment label and a jones plug (but the staples were still there). My uneducated guess is that the label was attached to the unpopulated playfield and then removed as the real assembly began. Maybe before it was silk screened with the identifying graphics? I would imagine that the bare boards could be tough to identify if you had piles of them...

Dave

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

My uneducated guess is that the label was attached to the unpopulated playfield and then removed as the real assembly began. Maybe before it was silk screened with the identifying graphics? I would imagine that the bare boards could be tough to identify if you had piles of them...
    Dave

They were put on after the grey paint, and AFAIK the front and back were painted as part of the same process, ergo I think the tags were applied to screened playfields. If they printed a strip of labels that all got the serial number and were perforated (or at least marked with ink "perforations" to show where to cut them apart) and one each was stapled in the head, body, and on the playfield, then I'm feeling better about my "tear off the playfield ticket and stick it in a folder" theory of this being a way to track production.

#89 1 year ago

I have to wonder why such tracking tags would have been left in a backbox / cabinet but removed from the pf?

So my guess is it was for the final QC / playtest / audit check before the game was packed and shipped. The game has a S/N tag with a checklist and/or a place to sign off on inspection before shipment: Last guy on the line is assigned to perform the checks, rip off the tag, sign it, and file it. PF is probably raised during this check-off process so it's a good place to keep the tag until just before it's lowered the last time before the glass and lockdown are installed pre-shipment.

Think about it: the checklist tag left on the game, which we all see, is almost kinda meaningless: "Oh yay, somebody put various mark(s) at various places in the list (but not all them, ever notice that?) and the game still doesn't work. Whoo, some checklist, what do I do now?". Well, you call Williams, give them your S/N, they look it up, and hopefully find the teartag to confirm it passed inspection, who actually signed/certified the tear tag, and hopefully have an internal review. (This would also help ensure preprod/test/sample and/or factory-damaged/lost games aren't out for liability in the wild).

And perhaps it was even worded so that if you (probably only a distributor in those days?) - did get a game with that tear-off still attached, you call WMS, at which point they probably redeem the tag for some kind of apology refund or service credit or something. Point being in any case, incentive was there for these not to survive in the field.

That's the process I imagine, at least.

Imagine if Stern did that, haha....

#90 1 year ago

So are we all thinking it MIGHT look like this?

I’m comparing the cabinet and the lite box tag and then creating an “artists rendition” of what it could be…

A2DC8A78-4707-48AA-98DC-1D3EAC2500DB (resized).jpegA2DC8A78-4707-48AA-98DC-1D3EAC2500DB (resized).jpeg
    #91 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m comparing the cabinet and the lite box tag and then creating an “artists rendition” of what it could be…

No artist rendition!!! We must know before the appropriate label can be created.

"Where's Eddie? He usually eats these things."

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

No artist rendition!!! We must know before the appropriate label can be created.
    "Where's Eddie? He usually eats these things."

I’m not hitting print yet! Lol

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

We must get this man his missing label so it can also be missing from his game!

I'll never tell.

Big brother watching (resized).pngBig brother watching (resized).png
    #94 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

[quoted image]

Nitpick - was the coin door setup ever printed anywhere but the coin door tag? (Or maybe it was the cabinet tag) - I don't think that would have been on a (mythical) playfield tag. But maybe that's like arguing what color unicorn fur is.

#95 1 year ago

gettyimages-463407329-2048x2048 (resized).jpggettyimages-463407329-2048x2048 (resized).jpg
    #96 1 year ago

Now we’re getting somewhere!!!

#97 1 year ago
    DB5B0589-CC86-4F6A-B76C-68283060B92B (resized).jpegDB5B0589-CC86-4F6A-B76C-68283060B92B (resized).jpeg
    #98 1 year ago

I wonder if it was similar to Data East tags.
    Looks like the one lower left had perforations .
    image-27 (resized).jpgimage-27 (resized).jpg

#99 1 year ago

Caution: This Williams Pinball Machine is an electronic device. Do not submerge in water.

#100 1 year ago

Post #100 and still no real resolution - just sayin'

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mysterious-williams-em-label/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.