5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jstree.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi there!
    I bought a Project counter force, and have run into a strange set of behaviors:
    things i have done:
    new rottendog power supply grounded to speaker
    docent harness from power supply to CPU
    Repinned Connectors from CPU to DRIVER BOARD
    All fuses checked, all coil resistances measured OK
    Had bad Q relay coil, replaced with new coil.
    new Niwumpf System 80 Board

the problem:
    The unit powers on just fine and goes into attract mode
    can cycle all coils ( Coin door stuff disconnected tho) and all lights and switches thru niwumpf. Each switch test fine, etc no noticable problems.
    Start a game and the soundboard plays the first couple sounds.

The first time the ball touches a switch ( yes, ANY switch!!) the LED on the Niwumpf board flashes 3 times, locks up and displays a couple very bright random characters on the displays.

confused, as the switches test fine. if it was a short/accidental contact on the switch matrix , it would be only when one switch trips.

Im stumped with a hypothesis that fits the facts. sound board? ( why would sounds work in test but freak out CPU during game?) harness connector? (theres no common wire between all). Some kind of loss of 5V power? ( the main capacitor has been replaced on the bottom board but i think thats 12vdc anyway?)

Im stumped... any ideas?

#3 5 years ago

That’s so wierd!

I guess some of the lights flash quickly , almost too quickly... but they only flicker once. The test menus and everything else work perfectly!
    I almost wonder if the drop bank coil logic is reversed or something along those lines.. the cpu is expecting switches to be open when it activates the drop target coils instead of closed...so odd. I guess we will see what happens in the next couple weeks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jstree.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mysterious-gottlieb-system-80-counterforce-cpu-reset?tu=jstree and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.