(Topic ID: 109510)

myPinballs Squawk & Talk Sound Board - Gordon's Alive!

By applejuice

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F5EBF4D1-C716-4FCD-B667-2240AA07C1BD (resized).jpeg
    7C48B90F-F7C0-4BB3-9448-D04E7910B9E4 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5231_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5232_(resized).JPG
    IMG_4057.jpg
    IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_20150425_211057.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3984.jpg
    IMG_3989.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_4120.JPG
    There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

IMG_20150425_211057.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    Sounds great! much cleaner sound, less noise.
    Edit:
    I should add my original card was re capped / refurbished just about as much as you could do.. This redesigned one kicks serious ass...big improvement!

Thanks for the great feedback. All the discrete parts are of the highest quality i can source from well respected known suppliers only. For example Vishay, Panasonic and Multicomp for caps. I use metal film resistors only and also use turned pin sockets only for the best connections to the chips. All supplied chips including the processors, pia's, dac, sound and speech generators ics are NOS not used pulls and of course the board design and layout is my own

Here's are few more pics of the next lot of board assembly nearing completion and getting ready for new homes

IMG_3805.JPGIMG_3805.JPG

1 week later
    #52 8 years ago

For those who have asked what my next major project would be, Please see here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-sounds-plus-sound-board-in-development#post-2427090

Sounds Plus sound board featuring all the enhancements from this project and compatible with all digital sound games AS2518-51/56 and my upcoming effects processing daughter card

1 week later
    #53 8 years ago

Quick Update: After what seems like an eternity of looking through different manufacturers data sheets i have finally located the little double plastic ended standoff used on all early bally games. I will be adding this as an option for future boards so you can make sure your new board will be nice and safe in its new home, with no danger of coming away from its mounting position.

IMG_3920.JPGIMG_3920.JPG

#54 8 years ago

Are you still taking orders for the boards? I'm interested in buying 2-3 of them.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Are you still taking orders for the boards? I'm interested in buying 2-3 of them.

Yes, You can order on my website here - http://mypinballs.co.uk/electronics/store.jsp, or contact me directly

#56 8 years ago

AS-2518-61_Rev_D_lg.jpgAS-2518-61_Rev_D_lg.jpg

https://coinop.mally.eu

#57 8 years ago

Quick Update: Assembly of pre-orders continues and a lot of boards have already shipped. Feedback so far has been great. Glad everyone is liking the quality of the product and the quality of the sound/speech

Also, as a recap, the summary of updates for my board over an original are:

- Reduced component count
    - Test point pads for common signals and voltages
    - Leds for power voltages and diagnostic led
    - Improved and simplified reset section
    - On board reset button
    - Dip switch config for rom settings
    - Fully compatible with all stock roms
    - Dip switch config for inclusion of sound generator ic
    - Expanded J2 connector to allow future plug on daughter cards such as echo/reverb board.
    - Option via J2 for external amp hook up and multiple speaker usage
    - Higher power amp on board for stock speaker connection
    - Socketed ICs - All turned pin sockets
    - Plate through design
    - HASL Lead Free PCB and assembly where possible

IMG_3663.jpgIMG_3663.jpg

I also hope to show some prototypes of my plug on daughter card effects board soon, which will be compatible with both my bally sound board remakes and work for any game.

#58 8 years ago

Update: Got the first pass done on my first effects board. As a recap this board will plug onto the J2 connector of either my Squawk & Talk or my Digital sound board for bally games and add reverb/echo effects to all sounds/speech etc. Stay tuned for testing of this board etc I will be ordering some protos to assemble and test soon.

bally sound effects board component layout v0.1.pngbally sound effects board component layout v0.1.pngbally sound effects board top layout v0.1.pngbally sound effects board top layout v0.1.pngbally sound effects board bottom layout v0.1.pngbally sound effects board bottom layout v0.1.png

3 weeks later
    #59 8 years ago

Update: More pre-orders ready for shipping. Please check your email for the final invoices. Boards will be shipped asap after payment received

#60 8 years ago

Update: The effects board is now with the manufacture and i should have the first run of them back in a few weeks.

#61 8 years ago

Will your effects board work with the original S&T boards?

I have a Flash Gordon and EBD running that are using the original hardware.

Also, could someone post the current price of the effects board?
    The ordering site/IP is blocked at my office.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Will your effects board work with the original S&T boards?
    I have a Flash Gordon and EBD running that are using the original hardware.
    Also, could someone post the current price of the effects board?
    The ordering site/IP is blocked at my office.

The effects board is plug and play on my new s&t hardware boards, and will also be plug and play on the other sound boards that i am making such as the earlier bally digital sound (plus) board and my custom pinball controller board set. It can be made to work with the original s&t boards, but it is not plug and play and you really need a 'centaur' era original board.

The cost i am aiming for is £40 assembled & tested plus shipping to your destination

#63 8 years ago

I received my new board last week and was able to install it this weekend. It looks and works great! It's very easy to install and configure. Thanks again for a great product!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

IMG_4120.JPGIMG_4120.JPG
    #64 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

The effects board is plug and play on my new s&t hardware boards, and will also be plug and play on the other sound boards that i am making such as the earlier bally digital sound (plus) board and my custom pinball controller board set. It can be made to work with the original s&t boards, but it is not plug and play and you really need a 'centaur' era original board.
    The cost i am aiming for is £40 assembled & tested plus shipping to your destination

I would be very interested in an effects board, would be happy with kit as well. Jim's boards are really well designed and thought out. A great asset to pinball.

1 week later
    #65 8 years ago

Board blanks for the new effect module have arrived:

IMG_3982.JPGIMG_3982.JPGIMG_3983.JPGIMG_3983.JPG

#66 8 years ago

Holy Cow! I just assembled one of these and plugged onto my new s&t board. Wow! The effects and adjustment range are even better than i thought they would be!!

Here's a few more pics of assembly and install in my Elektra. Some test vids coming shortly. Price for assembled and tested boards are £40 plus postage. All built to order. Please contact me directly if you would like one. I will be adding a product option on to my web page shortly to.

IMG_3986.jpgIMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3984.jpgIMG_3984.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpgIMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpgIMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3989.JPGIMG_3989.JPG

#67 8 years ago

Some test vids of the effects module running. I set the levels for moderate 'echoes'. Really adds great depth to an already great sound system

#68 8 years ago

Sign me up and take my money!!!

#69 8 years ago

That's awesome. So does it echo the background sounds too? Just trying to think about how it would sound with Flash Gordon's background drones.

#70 8 years ago

Awesome sauce!

#71 8 years ago

Thinking the same thing about FG. Will this work with an original board or just yours?

#72 8 years ago

Flash Gordon is even in the thread title. The people demand a video demo!

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Thinking the same thing about FG. Will this work with an original board or just yours?

The effects board is designed to be plug and play for all my sound boards including the earlier sound board for xenon, space invaders, silverball mania, gold ball etc and also my custom pinball controller cpu/sound board. You will notice the same 11 pin i/o connector on them all.

It can be made to work with original 'centaur spec' s&t boards, but this isn't plug and play as it requires some modifications

#74 8 years ago

Just got in on the pre-order for an s and t for my Flash Gordon. How is the Whirlwind project coming along?

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Flash Gordon is even in the thread title. The people demand a video demo!

As requested, I burned a set of flash gordon sounds roms and installed in my elektra. Here is a short speech clip of Ming with evil echo

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

As requested, I burned a set of flash gordon sounds roms and installed in my elektra. Here is a short speech clip of Ming with evil echo
    » YouTube video

Hahaha, that's bad ass.

So if we wanted to run it in a Flash Gordon we have two options, right? Totally replace the sound board with your new one, and then add on the echo module. Or hack the echo module to the existing board?

I'm just wondering out loud if there's enough of a market for you to build an echo board that's out of the box compatible with a stock sound board?

#77 8 years ago

I will buy an echo board that is fully compatible with my original sound board to try it on my fathom...

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

Just got in on the pre-order for an s and t for my Flash Gordon. How is the Whirlwind project coming along?

Thanks Chris, Whirlwind is coming along nicely, though i have to fit in development of it and Indy around my new board designs and hardware. Whirlwind thread here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-software-rewrite-the-journey#post-2429472

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Hahaha, that's bad ass.
    So if we wanted to run it in a Flash Gordon we have two options, right? Totally replace the sound board with your new one, and then add on the echo module. Or hack the echo module to the existing board?
    I'm just wondering out loud if there's enough of a market for you to build an echo board that's out of the box compatible with a stock sound board?

Yeah its plug and play for all my boards. the hacking for using an original s&t board is mostly on the original not my effects board. The issue with the originals is only the centaur specific one had a jumper for allowing external sound processing afaik.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

The issue with the originals is only the centaur specific one had a jumper for allowing external sound processing afaik.

Gotcha. I probably won't replace a perfectly functional audio board just to add on the echo,but it's a cool effect.

#81 8 years ago

I have one of his sound boards and just ordered the echo board. I just need to decide which Bally gets it! I'm leaning towards Medusa!

First world problems...

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

2 weeks later
    #82 8 years ago

Sound Effects Boards being assembled ready for testing:

IMG_4057.jpgIMG_4057.jpg

#83 8 years ago

Sweet! I can't wait!

2 weeks later
    #85 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

After what seems like an eternity of looking through different manufacturers data sheets i have finally located the little double plastic ended standoff used on all early bally games.

Where? Please? All I can ever find is the long ones that are completely wrong.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Where? Please? All I can ever find is the long ones that are completely wrong.

Yes, i was so happy when i found them. Taken years to track the little $%%%% down!!

I sell them on ebay here -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301688062749?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

or you can buy from me direct to Drop me a pm and i can send you an invoice.

#87 8 years ago

Sounds great in fireball 2. Please post the video here to

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

Sounds great in fireball 2. Please post the video here to

Here ya go!

#89 8 years ago

Anyone have this installed in Fathom or Medusa that they can post a video of?

#90 8 years ago

I think it would be awesome if the new sound effects boards worked with the original S&T boards. I'd get one for each of my games.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Anyone have this installed in Fathom or Medusa that they can post a video of?

I can post more videos of different sound rom sets in my boards when i get time including the use of the effect module with these sets. I can't remember off the top of my head if any customers have put them in Medusa games yet. I know quite a few people have bought them for Fathoms.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

I can post more videos of different sound rom sets

That would be great, thanks!

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

That would be great, thanks!

Fathom Sound Roms running in one of my new boards

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

Fathom Sound Roms running in one of my new boards
    » YouTube video

Thanks for the post! I was hoping it would suck so I didnt want to buy it but now..............

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Thanks for the post! I was hoping it would suck so I didnt want to buy it but now..............

Ha Ha, I only make high quality stuff

1 month later
    #96 8 years ago

The interview on this flipping podcast inspired me to finally install my board in Flash Gordon. High quality construction and improved sound clarity. Great work.

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

Ha Ha, I only make high quality stuff

Yes you do Jim! Can't wait for my next shipment!

#98 8 years ago

Curious -- in photo in post #82. Not that it matters but just looks odd - why are the contacts loaded in the connector body upside-down?

... nevermind. Top entry versus bottom entry. Just use to seeing so many bottom entry connectors, not used to seeing top entry version.

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Curious -- in photo in post #82. Not that it matters but just looks odd - why are the contacts loaded in the connector body upside-down?
    ... nevermind. Top entry versus bottom entry. Just use to seeing so many bottom entry connectors, not used to seeing top entry version.

Post #66 shows how the effects daughter board plugs on to the main board and the female connector plugs

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

The interview on this flipping podcast inspired me to finally install my board in Flash Gordon. High quality construction and improved sound clarity. Great work.

Thanks Chris. Glad you like the new board and sound quality. Getting good comments back, spurs me on to make more new cool stuff Also hope you enjoyed listening to the podcast. Was a fun evening.

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-squawk-talk-sound-board-gordons-alive/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.