Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 11.42.15 (resized).png
    debug:mod header pinout.pdf (PDF preview)
    Fill_In_Blank (resized).jpg
    IMG_20211104_212746768 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_8604.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2977.JPG
    IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    rev3 cpu assembly.jpg
    IMG_2956.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    Gottlieb-System-80b-MPU-v1.3-top-layout-public.png
    IMG_2388.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarAlb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 9 years ago

I am very pleased to see this new design, well done! As an engineer i like the improved lay out, improved reset section and the use of a more modern memory in stead of a 5101 so we can use an NVRAM device like Dallas, Ramtron or Simtek more easily. Also the resetboard components are integrated, very nice. I agree on remarks from others about the plating, it can cause problems over the years but other than that it suits to my taste. If not already mentioned or designed like that: did you think about a jumper or dipswitch to override the slam switch input for older sys80B's if desired?

Related to the subject (i don't want to hijack your topic)....i did write a few test Eprom's inspired by Leon, also for Gottlieb system 80. There is a small movie from it at youtube (from an earlier version, i added some more things later). It does a more thorough job testing the memories, it tests also the switchmatrix inputs and the socket for PROM2. No problem to share it with you.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Nice work.
    FWIW, I don't think Leon's ROM will help when one of the 6532s is holding onto the IRQ line. But since you have the 6532s socketed, that should ease troubleshooting. I shouldn't see a 6532 with the IRQ leg clipped.

There is no ISR in Leon's test Eprom. It only tests the first addresslocation of each RIOT. But it cannot distinguish the 3 RIOT's from eachother, in theory with a stuck chipselect circuitry, you can test 3 times the same RIOT. It also cannot detect a broken addressline trace. If a trace is broken you write and read data to a certain address but not the address you think you are writing to. This are amongst other things the weaknesses in Leon's test Eprom. When using Leon's test Eprom or mine, it is always a good thing to check the IRQ line with a logic probe or oscillscope. If it is stuck to GND, you have to examine the RIOT's. But in many cases, if the IRQ line is stuck, the memory test also fails from the RIOT causing the stuck IRQ line.....

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

Now added as a 40 pin ribbon header and labelled as J8 - debug/mod header Should allow anyone to connect up to the board as they see fit. The pins are compatible with the tc1 ordering.
    Board files are now with the pcb manufacturer. Edge connectors will be standard HASL (Lead Free) finish.

Very nice! Looking forward to see your results!

4 weeks later
    #59 9 years ago

Looks great. Respect for your achievements and putting so much effort in this!

7 years later
    #96 2 years ago

A bit off-topic: my testrom was written from scratch and based on Leon's idea, not on Leon's code. I started coding it in 2011 after talking with Leon if he was okay with that before he passed away. It was Applejuice his publication about this system80B remake which decided me to join Pinside and sharing my testroms which I was already using for some years. My posts earlier in this thread were my very first posts on pinside.

You don't need the TC1 connector to run my testrom on this board (and also original system80B boards with a piggyback). I provide 2764 binaries which you can directly run from the PROM1 (2764 gamerom/Eprom) socket. For indication of the testresults you will need to connect an additional LED to addressline 6. I don't know if this LED is installed by default on Applejuice his system80B remakes.

This is how I use my testrom when repairing all system80 boards; i made a piggyback to be installed at U3 (80, 80A) or PROM1 (80B). From this piggyback I can run the testcode in a 2764 Eprom. It also has an LED installed indicating the testresults. It actually is the same thing Gottlieb made for their system80B boards only with an additional LED connected to a6.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarAlb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-new-system-80b-cpu-board?tu=MarAlb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.