By applejuice

2 years ago

Stats

• 75 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_8604.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2977.JPG
    IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    rev3 cpu assembly.jpg
    IMG_2956.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    Gottlieb-System-80b-MPU-v1.3-top-layout-public.png
    IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2804.JPG

There are 75 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

What are you doing about game ROM's?

The board uses your original roms, or you can buy a fresh set from the copyright owners to use.

#52 2 years ago

Back from the UK Pinball Party (this weekend just gone) and now assembling boards. This one is destined for The Goonies Pinball Project.

rev3 cpu assembly.jpg

Also helping out with adjusting the text on the game. Homebrew pinball at its finest

#53 2 years ago

Board assembled and being bench tested and then tested in my Gold wings

IMG_2973.jpgIMG_2975.jpg

#54 2 years ago

I'm not sure if this was asked before, do you sell just the board and parts?

I'd love to solder one up on my own.

Or even just the bare board, with a parts list?

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

great.
    As an owner and lover of both TX and Robowar I will be buying 1

Same goes for me!

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

Same goes for me!

our tastes in pinball are so similar it is kind of creepy!!!

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

I'm not sure if this was asked before, do you sell just the board and parts?
    I'd love to solder one up on my own.
    Or even just the bare board, with a parts list?

Yes you can buy a full kit or just the bare board if you'd like. I have a BOM (Bill of Materials) that i can supply. Contact me directly with your email address.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

Back from the UK Pinball Party (this weekend just gone) and now assembling boards. This one is destined for The Goonies Pinball Project.

Also helping out with adjusting the text on the game. Homebrew pinball at its finest

rev3 cpu assembly.jpg 187 KB

Thanks so much for the little extra love on this. The custom text for the display will be the icing on the cake for my project.

#59 2 years ago

Looks great. Respect for your achievements and putting so much effort in this!

#60 2 years ago

Just a quick update for people wanting the blank board to assemble themselves. A little autumn/winter project maybe. I have a full Bill of Materials with all part numbers for element 14/farnells. I am also happy to guide you through how best to assemble them.

The cost here would be £60 plus £7.50 shipping standard or £15 shipping tracked to USA. I can work out a US dollar price to if that works better for anyone. (I am in the uk :)) Payment is via paypal.

Thanks

#61 2 years ago

Buy with confidence from Jim. Shipping actually does not take long to the US.

Great work again Jim.

--Scott

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikeatsparkys:

Thanks so much for the little extra love on this. The custom text for the display will be the icing on the cake for my project.

IMG_2977.JPG

#63 2 years ago

Thanks for the work you did to help out a lot of games.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

IMG_2977.JPG 157 KB

That's a beautiful thing right there. Thanks!

#65 2 years ago

More assembly under way

IMG_2982.JPG

#66 2 years ago

This is BADASS! Nicely done! Now to look for a Gold Wings....

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This is BADASS! Nicely done! Now to look for a Gold Wings....

Gold Wings is fine choice! I love mine, which is what started this whole project!

1 week later
    #69 2 years ago

Got mine in today. Thanks Jim!

Goonies pinball will be coming to life very soon.

1 week later
    #70 2 years ago

Goonies pinball has a pulse. Power supply tuned in and the new 80B board installed with custom ROMs. Looks great Jim!

IMG_8604.JPG

#71 2 years ago

Excellent Mike Goonies is alive!

8 months later
    #72 2 years ago

Just a quick update on my thread: Just about to order batch 2 blanks of my 80b board. All batch 1 now sold. So far my boards have saved 28 games from the skip

1 month later
    #73 1 year ago

Update: Batch 2 boards now being assembled. Maybe this time i'll get to keep one for my Gold Wings

IMG_4129.jpg

3 months later
    #74 1 year ago

Didn't notice until now. There appears to be a header to replace the TC1 connector. If so, did you remember to 'swap sides' on the pins so that it would work with any DIP adapter cable? Or with a standard ribbon cable where the DIP connection was presumed?

Pinouts, for example --
    DIP:
    Pin 1 Pin 40
    Pin 2 Pin 39
    .... etc

Header:
    Pin 1 Pin 2
    Pin 3 Pin 4
    .... etc

In converting from a dIP to a header, people often just tie pin 1 of header to signal that was pin 1 of DIP (DB7 for this board), pin 2 of header to signal that was pin 40 of DIP (AB4 for this board), etc. BUT - using an adapter (simple ribbon cable) does not follow conventional pin out and the left and right sides must be swapped. The result would be what was pin 1 of DIP (DB7) would be tied to pin 40 of DIP on the opposite end.

Put through a ribbon cable DIP to header adapter without swapping:
    DIP pin 1 would connect to opposite end header pin 2.
    DIP pin 40 would connect to opposite end header pin 1.
    DIP pin 2 would connect to opposite end header pin 4.
    DIP pin 39 would connect to opposite end header pin 2.
    ... etc

So pin 1 of header must be what was pin 40 of DIP (AB4) and pin 2 of header must be what was pin 1 of DIP (DB7).

Lets say somebody used the TC1 connector with a cable that has a DIP plug on one end and 40 pin header (or DIP plug) on the other. If you then change this TC1 from a DIP connector to a header connector and that same person then tried to use this TC1 connector with a simple ribbon cable - it won't work The left and right sides would be reversed - you would be putting 5VDC down their reset line and vice-versa.

2 weeks later
    #75 1 year ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Didn't notice until now. There appears to be a header to replace the TC1 connector. If so, did you remember to 'swap sides' on the pins so that it would work with any DIP adapter cable? Or with a standard ribbon cable where the DIP connection was presumed?
    Pinouts, for example --
    DIP:
    Pin 1 Pin 40
    Pin 2 Pin 39
    .... etc
    Header:
    Pin 1 Pin 2
    Pin 3 Pin 4
    .... etc
    In converting from a dIP to a header, people often just tie pin 1 of header to signal that was pin 1 of DIP (DB7 for this board), pin 2 of header to signal that was pin 40 of DIP (AB4 for this board), etc. BUT - using an adapter (simple ribbon cable) does not follow conventional pin out and the left and right sides must be swapped. The result would be what was pin 1 of DIP (DB7) would be tied to pin 40 of DIP on the opposite end.
    Put through a ribbon cable DIP to header adapter without swapping:
    DIP pin 1 would connect to opposite end header pin 2.
    DIP pin 40 would connect to opposite end header pin 1.
    DIP pin 2 would connect to opposite end header pin 4.
    DIP pin 39 would connect to opposite end header pin 2.
    ... etc
    So pin 1 of header must be what was pin 40 of DIP (AB4) and pin 2 of header must be what was pin 1 of DIP (DB7).
    Lets say somebody used the TC1 connector with a cable that has a DIP plug on one end and 40 pin header (or DIP plug) on the other. If you then change this TC1 from a DIP connector to a header connector and that same person then tried to use this TC1 connector with a simple ribbon cable - it won't work The left and right sides would be reversed - you would be putting 5VDC down their reset line and vice-versa.

I do include a header output on the board labelled 'Debug/Mod Header' which is an optional install. The premise for this is to add an option for future add ons or test cards that i may, or other people may build in the future. It is not meant as a direct replacement for the old TC1 header, but does include all the useful address, data and control signals you may need for such mods etc.

Currently most orders are not populated with this header as people mostly just want a plug and play replacement for their dead original. Fixing of my stock boards is also a much easier job these days with the more advanced test roms available, the leon test led pre installed and the use of full sockets, so the old TC1 header isn't really needed. I have had a few boards back to repair after users have shorted voltages to the switch matrix etc. These have all been easily fixed and returned to continue their lives keeping old gottliebs running

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 989.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 16.00
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 46.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 24.95
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 63.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballBulbs
    There are 75 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 564 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.