Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by extraballingtmc
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3116 (resized).JPG
IMG_8066 (resized).jpg
IMG_7653 (resized).JPG
IMG_7733 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126_(resized).JPG
IMG_5094_(resized).JPG
IMG_5092_(resized).JPG
bally s&t sound board top layout.png
bally s&t sound board bottom layout.png
bally s&t sound board component layout.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound top layout v0.1.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound bottom layout v0.1.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound component layout v0.1.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound top layout-553.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound bottom layout-857.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound component layout-68.png

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

So i've been looking at creating another new board for system 80B games. This time i'm looking at creating a new sound board which will work across the 80B games. It will be compatible with MA-766 and MA-866 series boards and variations thereof.

Been drawing up some schematics before getting some protos made to mess/test with. Looked over loads of schematics from various games and completed the first run of my schematic which will allow the board to work in games meant for the 766 and all revs of the 866 board. There are dip switches to enabled/disable certain sections which are specific to the different board revisions. The main difference is to do with the speech generation circuit. The speech generation for games using the first rev of the 866 board like robo-war and tx sector certainly is an interesting design and some of the games using the 766 board where there was a dedicated speech chip, didn't even use it! Robo-war managed to create that transformers like voice with lots of low pass filtering.

Gottlieb System 80b Sound top layout-553.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound component layout-68.png
Gottlieb System 80b Sound bottom layout-857.png

As before with the cpu board i will be looking at improving the design and including similar updates, such as:

- Decent ground anchors
- Test point pads for common signals and voltages
- Leds for common signals and voltages
- Reduced component count
- Plate through design, socketed ics
- Kit option

Also, after looking at a good few system 3 manuals i believe this board will work here to so the full range of games able to benefit will be much higher than originally thought. Again it looks like gottlieb carried on using the 866 board for effects and updated the aux sound driver to improve the speech generation circuit again. Music gen was split across the 2 just like in later 80b games.

I'm interested to hear what people think, who would be interested in buying this board and whether a kickstarter type approach may be a good way to run this project?

Will be also keeping dev progress updated on my blog at http://blog.mypinballs.com and on www.mypinballs.co.uk

#2 5 years ago

This is awesome -

3 months later
#3 5 years ago

Some updated pics of the latest revision with added ground planes for analogue gnd and digital gnd. I'm getting some protos built up to hopefully build up and test over christmas. I'll be adding this board to my product line up in due course. Let me know if you are interested in one.

Gottlieb System 80b Sound top layout v0.1.pngGottlieb System 80b Sound component layout v0.1.pngGottlieb System 80b Sound bottom layout v0.1.png

I'm also working on another sound board as a sister project to this. Can you guess what it is - 'Gordon's Alive'. I will be creating a new thread for this project.

bally s&t sound board top layout.pngbally s&t sound board component layout.pngbally s&t sound board bottom layout.png

6 months later
#4 4 years ago

Any update on this?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Any update on this?

Yes, prototypes are being ordered for assembly and testing shortly. I moved the dev of this back a little as i worked on my S&T sound board first.

8 months later
#6 4 years ago

After a lot of development and reworking things to get a board which will work with all generations of 80b and work with sys3 i got my first proto boards in today Also taken awhile to fit this in amongst all the other products that i am now making. Excited to get this moving forward again though

IMG_5092_(resized).JPG

IMG_5094_(resized).JPG

#7 4 years ago

awesome!

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

Progress on the assembly and testing. Main microcomputer, clock and reset circuits built. Working to get the main micro computer up and running and flashing the status lamp.

IMG_5126_(resized).JPG

#10 4 years ago

More progress. Video showing a little more. Sound idinputs and data comms to the music chips checking. plus some naration from me!

11 months later
#11 3 years ago

How did your sound board turn out? I have a Genesis that just decided to make zero sound.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from tlzavala1:

How did your sound board turn out? I have a Genesis that just decided to make zero sound.

Been developing a modern replacement that allows you to play original and new sounds and interfaces to the original games cpu board with existing logic thus maintaining proper control and thus access time and feel. Also is a full plug in board matching the original sizing and mounts like the one above.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5Uh7iAlF0/?taken-by=mypinballs

IMG_7733 (resized).JPG

IMG_7653 (resized).JPG

#13 3 years ago

Really excited to see this produced. I'll be your first customer!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

Really excited to see this produced. I'll be your first customer!

Thanks, appreciate the comments. i'll keep you updated. I did quite a bit of development on it over the holidays just gone with some new controllers and the system is working well with 4 channel sound and ducking in place. The system will also allow you to add files to sound commands for random selection from a pool of files in addition to replacing them individually

#15 3 years ago

That is great! Is there any limitation to the length of the song file? Does it have to be as long or shorter than the original audio clip?

#16 3 years ago

I am also very interested in this product. I'd appreciate updates as well. It would be great to enhance the sounds on my sys80B.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from bpa:

That is great! Is there any limitation to the length of the song file? Does it have to be as long or shorter than the original audio clip?

The files can be as long as you like. They don't have to match original file lengths, though there are different ways in which the the 4 sound channels are processed. i.e some channels play over themselves when a new call comes in, whereas others play the full file uninterrupted ignoring new calls etc. Music is looped

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from BleacherBum:

I am also very interested in this product. I'd appreciate updates as well. It would be great to enhance the sounds on my sys80B.

No problem, i'll add you to the list of interested parties

#19 3 years ago

I might be interested too, depending on the price. I still haven't got the sound working on my Raven.

9 months later
#20 2 years ago

Major progress with this project. I have finally got the interface to work reliably with inbound cpu requests.

Good point in the vid is around 5.35

This project has been much more complex than first thought but we are getting there now. The sound board logic is much more than just 'play this sound Id' it turns out

I'm still refining the code logic and not 100% sure if each game will need custom logic as well as a sound file set, we will see, but the second prototype boards are getting closer. Also waiting for some dac sound processors to improve sound quality and remove noise. The first test was using bog standard passive Pwm line out

IMG_8066 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#21 2 years ago

Looking good! I need a sound board for my Gottlieb hot shots. No sound or red LED

#22 2 years ago

Will your board replace the auxiliary board?

2 months later
#23 1 year ago

Wow, I would easily buy 2 of these for both of my System 80b's, especially with the custom audio ability. This is awesome, thank you for the work you are doing to preserve these!

5 months later
#24 1 year ago

Amazing work! Any timeline on this? I am in need of a system 80b soundboard and no one seems to have any in stock!

#25 1 year ago

Need one for a system 3.

1 month later
#26 1 year ago

Assembly starts on the new prototype boards. As you can see the board is now a lot smaller but still fits original mounts.

IMG_3116 (resized).JPG

11 months later
#27 3 months ago

Bumping this so hard! I could now use 3 of these boards. Here's to you doing the pinball lord's work.

2 months later
#28 31 days ago

Are the sound boards complete? Ready for sale?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 8.40
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside