Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 241 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 104 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180309_164822792 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164812857_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164805654_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164816470_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_163428953 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164819616 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164808500_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164907711_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_7289 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7290 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7288 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7262 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 10.04.28 (resized).png
    Bally Pinball Controller v1.3 component layout (resized).png
    IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 7 years ago

Added an aux driver board to my HV game today to allow control of the GI in conjunction with the new cabinet based transformer panel i've added

IMG_7262 (resized).JPGIMG_7262 (resized).JPG

#202 7 years ago

batch 2 board blanks have arrive so assembly will now start

IMG_7288 (resized).jpgIMG_7288 (resized).jpg

IMG_7290 (resized).JPGIMG_7290 (resized).JPG

IMG_7289 (resized).jpgIMG_7289 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #203 7 years ago

video of me testing the first batch 2 controller with built in green health led

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNOnr3gA3A1/

2 weeks later
    #204 7 years ago

Someone mentioned redoing Flash Gordon. While I'd love incorporated sound, the rules already rock. It would be great with music though.

Actually, since I have Paragon, I'd like to see it with music, and even better rules. Something I love about FG is that you have to move around the playfield, both of them, to really get your scores up. Paragon, you need bonus but it's mostly the drops on the left. Would like to see rules that forced you around the table to try and get certain shots. Also would like for it to have background sounds, and more specific sounds that fit the theme. I'm used to the 'bleeps and bloops' but would like to hear different sounds and be rewarded for going for the waterfall.

1 month later
    #205 7 years ago

This wouldn't work in a motordome would it?

1 year later
    #206 6 years ago

If anyone is interested I've decided to sell my 'second gen' board. My interest in the hobby has been declining and I just don't see myself using this awesome board. Asking $200. I believe they list for 250 euro. Thanks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/60449

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

If anyone is interested I've decided to sell my 'second gen' board. My interest in the hobby has been declining and I just don't see myself using this awesome board. Asking $200. I believe they list for 250 euro. Thanks.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/60449

pm sent

1 week later
    #208 6 years ago

Got my boardset today. Really looking forward to trying it out. I should have time tomorrow.

Build quality is excellent. This board looks really well put together

#209 6 years ago

Man, I need to get back to my project soon. I've done a ton of unrelated work with Arduinos since buying this and now I would be able to better figure out what I want to do. When I bought the board, I had basically zero experience. Plus I now have a giant CNC machine and a 3D printer at my disposal. These will be the boards that drive my first finished custom game when I finally get back to it.

#210 6 years ago

Boards installed, game boots coins up (weird) and starts a game (ball kicks to shooter lane).

Haven't hooked up sound yet. Using the High Voltage code shipped on the board.

There is a red black wire of mysterious use. It looks like it goes here but is not obvious where the other end goes.IMG_20180309_164812857_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164812857_HDR (resized).jpg

Can someone tell me where this goes?

Flippers don't work. One flipper activates when a ball is kicked.

This has got to be a flipper issue since it's not a controlled solenoid.

It might be a programming issue since it may be expecting fliptronics style flippers and I haven't converted yet. Right now I am set up like this

IMG_20180309_163428953 (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_163428953 (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164907711_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164907711_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164819616 (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164819616 (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164816470_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164816470_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164812857_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164812857_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164805654_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164805654_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20180309_164808500_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164808500_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20180309_164822792 (resized).jpgIMG_20180309_164822792 (resized).jpg

#211 6 years ago

Following this intently over here boss. Does it use the flipper relay on the old driver board? In your last pic are ORG and GRN wires, those are supplying Ground to the flips. But I don't see the other two on the connector below. Both sets are feeding or fed to the relay to enable the flips. don't know which set that is though, before or after the relay. Doing the same thing I showed you on my project. it looks like the other is plugged onto new board in the first pic

#212 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfus:

Following this intently over here boss. Does it use the flipper relay on the old driver board? In your last pic are ORG and GRN wires, those are supplying Ground to the flips. But I don't see the other two on the connector below. Both sets are feeding or fed to the relay to enable the flips. don't know which set that is though, before or after the relay. Doing the same thing I showed you on my project. it looks like the other is plugged onto new board in the first pic

I found a better set of pics and was able to determine that none of the large connectors on the SDB remain on that board.

I am currently making a simple flipper only game so I can troubleshoot this.

#213 6 years ago

I will send you some more info on how to solve this when I get a minute but yes you don’t have the flipper section connected correctly. It’s the weekend here and mother’s day this weekend in the uk so I’m alittle tied up with the family

#214 6 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

I will send you some more info on how to solve this when I get a minute but yes you don’t have the flipper section connected correctly. It’s the weekend here and mother’s day this weekend in the uk so I’m alittle tied up with the family

In understand completely, thanks for your help.

I'm documenting my steps too so I can make a how to thread to pay it forward. As soon as I get some of each component working I'll get it uploaded.

#215 6 years ago

Wow, it's been 2 years since I last worked on my project. Need to dig it back up.

#216 6 years ago

I wonder if applejuice would let us set up a wiki to share tips.on this platform?

#217 6 years ago

Cheddar Excited to see you using these boards. They look much better in your pin than on my shelf. Good luck with your custom pin!

#218 6 years ago

Cheddar I would love to see you do a "how to" like vid1900 does with his repairs and updates series. Need something easily understood with lots of clear pics as I am very interested in this board design.
    -Mike

#219 6 years ago

Hi

Got 5 minutes spare so here's a little more info on the flipper setup.

If you have a look at the pinout guides that are in the dropbox share then this will explain the Flipper connections.

Controller Board J12 pins 1 & 3 to Driver Board Connector J2 pins 1 & 2 using the provided 2 pin connector. (This connects the flipper switch inputs to the controller)

The J1 connector (top left) from the old driver board should be connected to the JD1 connector on the new driver board. (This connects the flipper drives)

The flipper control on the new board set is transistor driven (i.e. fliptronic esque) so both these connections need to be made. The JD1 connector also has other solenoids drives on it like the outhole coil drive (iirc on bally games)

Regards

Jim

mypinballs.co.uk

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I wonder if applejuice would let us set up a wiki to share tips.on this platform?

Feel free to use Pinball Makers.

http://pinballmakers.com/

#221 6 years ago

Is there anyone using this board set that can help me troubleshoot a flipper issue? Right flipper works fine. Left flipper goes up with the right and stays up.

This is on a Nugent with 2 right flippers

Thanks

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Is there anyone using this board set that can help me troubleshoot a flipper issue? Right flipper works fine. Left flipper goes up with the right and stays up.
    This is on a Nugent with 2 right flippers
    Thanks

Send me the log when you press the right flipper button

#224 6 years ago

Progress is made

I was having 2 main issues:
    1. flippers locking on, then left working and right holding up
    This was happening because the second switch on the right flipper (where a lane change switch would be) was acting like a flipper switch to the upper. Not sure how to remedy but disconnecting the upper flipper coil has worked for now. I had to disconnect it at the switch so it wouldn't send a flipper button signal to the board. I am not 100% on this theory but disconnecting that switch has worked so far

2. weird switch issues
    I was getting extra switch hit on other switches. I.e the right outlane would also trigger the top center lane switch.
    After digging into this I noticed 2 things. 2 stacks of switches on the left drop target bank fire switches in 2 columns. This is by design.
    And the other switch issues are in the first column only but only on the playfield switches. i.e. switch 11 fires 12 as well but not for 16 and 17 which are credit button and tilt.

I can work around these to keep moving. I am sure after spending some contemplation time I can figure solutions for both.

#225 6 years ago

started a new thread for my experience. I am being very specific to help avoid some of the dumb mistakes I've made.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/customizing-a-stern-nugent

#226 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Progress is made
    I was having 2 main issues:
    1. flippers locking on, then left working and right holding up
    This was happening because the second switch on the right flipper (where a lane change switch would be) was acting like a flipper switch to the upper. Not sure how to remedy but disconnecting the upper flipper coil has worked for now. I had to disconnect it at the switch so it wouldn't send a flipper button signal to the board. I am not 100% on this theory but disconnecting that switch has worked so far

Normally on the 2 flipper same side design the power ground to the upper flipper is joined by that extra switch on the lower flipper. Maybe we need to refine some framework stuff for this, or look at the noise suppression side in more detail.

#227 6 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

Normally on the 2 flipper same side design the power ground to the upper flipper is joined by that extra switch on the lower flipper. Maybe we need to refine some framework stuff for this, or look at the noise suppression side in more detail.

in SYS 11 and WPC designs definitely. This old design prevents staging the slippers. On Nugent it would be cool to tsage them backwards so you can hold the upper up and then backhand from the lower flipper through the hole

2 months later
    #228 5 years ago

So I'm thinking of redoing rules on a Paragon and thought of this project. All of the links for it on myPinballs are broken. Is this still an active project applejuice ?

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

So I'm thinking of redoing rules on a Paragon and thought of this project. All of the links for it on myPinballs are broken. Is this still an active project applejuice ?

Yes, i still make boards for people to order. Which links are broken? There should be links to this thread and example videos from my youtube channel as well as a brief overview of the system. There is also full documentation in pdf format available privately.

#231 5 years ago

Yeah i should finish the more details pages, but i've been head down for 4 years and counting making hardware!

If you drop me your email address privately then i'll send you over the documentation

#232 5 years ago

When will the next batch be ready?

7 months later
    #233 5 years ago

This still active? I've got a SBM that has no boards or displays....seems like a good candidate to try this.

#234 5 years ago

I believe he is still making these boards.
    I put a set in my Flight 2000 that I'm currently in the process of coding.
    If you can code an arduino and can read a schematic, its pretty simple.

4 weeks later
    #235 5 years ago

Very impressive thread. The teensy 3.x series would make a great conduit for sound and dmd.

I have done a lot of coding on the arduino side interfacing to stock Bally lamp driver board and other components.

You can see what I have done for Close Encounters in the home brew section.

Any chance of a preview of the github stuff?

Love what you have done so far, very impressive!

4 months later
    #236 4 years ago

Bump to hopefully get the ops attention. I still want to buy an MPU board. Ready to get back on my project.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Bump to hopefully get the ops attention. I still want to buy an MPU board. Ready to get back on my project.

Got your message. I'm away at the mo, but i'll reply to you once i get back

1 year later
    #238 3 years ago

What is the status of my board? Your listed email no longer works.

#239 3 years ago

I've got a couple of these that I have never used if someone wants a set. Say $300 shipped obo

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

What is the status of my board? Your listed email no longer works.

All my emails work afaik and I’ve replied to your pms. You didn’t reply to one of my earlier pms for over a year though so earlier preorders went to other people

I am sorting a set out for you as we speak though now we are back in touch

There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-custom-pinball-controller-for-ballystern-games/page/5?hl=legtod2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.