Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 241 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180309_164822792 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164812857_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164805654_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164816470_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_163428953 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164819616 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164808500_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180309_164907711_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_7289 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7290 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7288 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7262 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 10.04.28 (resized).png
    Bally Pinball Controller v1.3 component layout (resized).png
    IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago

I installed my boards today in my SBM, but I don't see a spot for my J4 connector from my old lamp board. Is it even used?

Also, is there a "quick setup" guide to install the boards and have them working with my game's original software.

Thanks,

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

IMG_0489.jpg

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

I installed my boards today in my SBM, but I don't see a spot for my J4 connector from my old lamp board. Is it even used?

I had the exact same question. Jim's reply...

"The J4 connector on the old lamp driver is not used in this new configuration. That connector was the data control input for the old system."

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from gabegabegabe:

I had the exact same question. Jim's reply...
    "The J4 connector on the old lamp driver is not used in this new configuration. That connector was the data control input for the old system."

Awesome! Thanks for the response!

#154 5 years ago

Has anyone installed their boards and the original software? If so, can you please provide instructions on how to do that? I have gone through the docs online and can't seem to find that.

Thanks

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

original software?

As in software that reproduces the original game exactly? That would require some work on your part to get to that point unless someone else has already done it. To my knowledge there's no possibility of loading up an original rom or any kind of simple conversion to convert rom into something usable on this system.

#156 5 years ago

BTW, my project is on hold until I get my new CNC machine up and running and can cut a new PF. The possibilities are so open that I'm likely going to scrap my current design in favor of something different.

I'm torn between trying to make a complex multi-level game and a more simplistic one in the vein of a classic Bally/Stern. A more simplistic one is probably the way to go for a first attempt.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

As in software that reproduces the original game exactly? That would require some work on your part to get to that point unless someone else has already done it. To my knowledge there's no possibility of loading up an original rom or any kind of simple conversion to convert rom into something usable on this system.

Hmmm... I was under the impression that these boards could simply be used as replacements. My whole purpose for buying these were to tweak the current game files to add sound, lights, etc... I guess I should have done my homework and read into this more.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

Also, is there a "quick setup" guide to install the boards and have them working with my game's original software.
    Thanks,
    Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com
    IMG_0489.jpg

Let me send you the welcome email again. This was sent when you first ordered, but i guess it got misplaced or forgotten about. The link in there has access to the full documentation, software, libraries and frameworks. There are also pinout documents that tell you what each connector is.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

Has anyone installed their boards and the original software? If so, can you please provide instructions on how to do that? I have gone through the docs online and can't seem to find that.
    Thanks

The board hardware comes with the High Voltage game that i wrote for my Future Spa remake and you have access to all the software source code. The first task to get a new game up and running in a 'basic' fashion is to alter the 3 config files for the switches, lamps and coils. This is documented in the getting started guide. If you need help or would like these creating for you as additional help then please get in touch. I am thinking of offering additional services to help at this point.

With these files amended to suit your game you will be able to play a basic game with score and utilise any common features from the High Voltage game such as pops, saucers, kickbacks etc. This is where you begin to customise the game and add your own rules and sounds etc or recreate the original game. The system will in time offer more 'template' files for games to work from, but primarily it is a development system which i hope i have been clear about

#160 5 years ago

Will this work in Jeutel games? They don't seem too complicated from the schematics. One would need to rewire the connectors but that is no big deal.
    This could also be good for other low production games like Gameplan, Atari and Allied Leisure.

#161 5 years ago

The "compatible with Bally" design wouldn't work too well in Allied.

Allied didn't use a switch matrix. Each is tied to a separate I/O pin. And Allied lamps are DC driven, which won't work if the lamp board is driving using SCRs/Triacs.

#162 5 years ago

Bummer. It would have been a good idea IMO. Thanks for the clarification.
    Seems Gameplan MIGHT be doable as there seem to be a lot of similarities with Bally, but I am definitely no electronics expert.
    I have no idea how Jeutels work.

#163 5 years ago

@Sealclubber

The Jeutel machine use a PIA 8255 to manage the switch matric (Schematics Page41)
    Lamps are driven by MPSA13 (NPN transistor)

This is a challenge but i believe it's a a good way to use this board
    Send the rare schema to an expert for an advice

#164 5 years ago

My board set contains both controller board and driver board, so as long as you don't mind making connector adapters, you have a switch matrix and direct driven lamps on the playfield (not matrixed) then i believe it could work with them. It is the playfield wiring itself that is the main thing to check. Old boards are not that important.

#165 5 years ago

Almost time for the christmas holidays. I'll be shutting up shop from 19th December til the 4th Jan 2016 and want to wish everyone who has got involved with my board sets a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I have a small Christmas gift for you all which is access to a new discussion and info sharing site run via 'slack'. The web address is:

http://mypinballs.slack.com.

Everyone who has bought a board set will be sent an email shortly with details on how to access. Myself and Mark (snux) are already there and look forward to seeing you to. I'll be back on the case 4th Jan 2016, but may be on slack at various points over the christmas hols to. Next year should be a fun year, and more templates for games will be built along with lots of other extras and updates.

Cheers for now

1 week later
    #166 5 years ago

How did I miss this? Really, really cool. I might just have to start a project...

4 weeks later
    #167 5 years ago

How difficult for someone without any programmation skill to have this up and running for a custom project... How is the learning curve?

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

How difficult for someone without any programmation skill to have this up and running for a custom project... How is the learning curve?

I have some programming experience so am probably not a great person to answer this, but using Jim's High Voltage code as a starting point it could legitimately be compared more to converting the configuration to match your game rather than requiring true coding. Of course, without additional coding, you're stuck with the rules and features of his game, but it wouldn't be too bad to start from there and figure out tweaks until you got more comfortable with how to add new code.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

I have only done pretty simple programming stuff before this, mostly playing around with little arduino projects and relying on my memory from programming class in school 25+ years ago. Using Jim's HV code as a functional example to start with you will certainly be able to get something up and running with only moderate programming skills. The community of users is growing weekly so there will be lots of assistance out there and more examples of code to borrow from. Snux has his F2K well underway and I have my Big Game close to functional as well. As far as creating rules for your game goes, I think there are several examples now as to how handle different "chunks" which you can include in your game.

Overall I would say that if you are excited about diving into the inner workings of a pin and how the rules all relate, plus you enjoy learning about coding in a fairly user friendly environment then this is the kind of project that should be right up your alley.

#170 5 years ago

I'm in! How did I miss this until now?!

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

I'm in! How did I miss this until now?!

Ooohhhh, Meteor 2016???

2 weeks later
    #172 5 years ago

I might have to give this a shot.

3 weeks later
    #174 5 years ago

Updates... we need updates! Plz..

2 weeks later
    #175 5 years ago

New video of an updated attract mode i just created for my HV game. Based on the one from centaur I created this to demo some of the newer features i just added into the software framework for the guys working on their own games.

There is plenty of action going on behind the scenes on our slack discussion area where users are writing and modifying their game code to create cool new games If you are interested in rewriting an old bally or stern game then get in touch

#176 5 years ago

When's the next batch of pre-orders going out? Getting eager!

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

When's the next batch of pre-orders going out? Getting eager!

Next batch of boards is being finalised at the moment. I have some updates to complete based on a few things we've learnt form the first batch and a few features that i want to build in, such as a health led pulse, power on detection etc.

I had a big update of software features and bug fixes to get done based on feedback, suggestions and what we've learnt so far which has just gone live and been synced to the dropbox shares along with thew github repro so wanted to get this finished first before moving to the hardware.

2 months later
    #178 5 years ago

I read you only use the 5 and 12v power from the SDB and could use a PC power supply instead. So does this mean you do not need to use a standard Bally/Stern Transformer and the power rectifier board at all if you use a PC power supply?

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I read you only use the 5 and 12v power from the SDB and could use a PC power supply instead. So does this mean you do not need to use a standard Bally/Stern Transformer and the power rectifier board at all if you use a PC power supply?

Yes you could remove/forget about those if you were using a switched mode 48 v dc supply for the coil power. Some people are do this exact thing for custom projects with my board sets where they don't have the original cabinet and boards at all.

#180 5 years ago

What if the playfield coils on the Jeutel were designed/planned to run 35Vdc? Bally is normally 43vdc. Wouldn't 48 be too high for my 35s?

I think the answer is yes but I couldn't find it to be sure, do I need the SDB still to run original the high Voltage displays?

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

What if the playfield coils on the Jeutel were designed/planned to run 35Vdc? Bally is normally 43vdc. Wouldn't 48 be too high for my 35s?
    I think the answer is yes but I couldn't find it to be sure, do I need the SDB still to run original the high Voltage displays?

Bally coils are 50v rated so run fine at 48vdc and actually are a little more snappy with the small increase. That was just an example anyway. You can use any switched mode supply you like. For example if you need 35vdc use something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Ship-DC-350W-36V9-7A-Switching-Power-Supply-220V-to-Stepper-Motor-3D-Printer-/142016593645?hash=item2110d93eed:g:RpwAAOSwXSJXPBq6

Of course you need one that is compatible for your countries input voltage. This is just an example of what i would use here in the UK.

If you want to run original displays then you still need the original sdb and rectifier board. You can use led remake displays though that run from 5v instead

#182 5 years ago

Thank you. It seems like the hardware part will be easy and is compatible. Writing up the rules will be simple but I have never done code before. I need to check how difficult this is. I am sure it is more difficult than a bunch of, Hit this switch, light lamp A, activate solenoid 2, make sound X and score 1000 points.

#183 5 years ago

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a board.
    Lionel, I hear you but I am not sure it matters what kind of chips the original Jeutel Boards used. I am not running anything Jeutel but the playfield and the only thing on there are lamps, switches and coils. The switch matrix is the same as Bally's. I might have to change normally closed switches to normally open or vice-versa, maybe.
    I am in the process of mapping all the lamps, coils and solenoids and matching them to the Bally pinouts.

3 months later
    #184 5 years ago

is there a place I can see what updated rulesets people have made for old games?
    I love the custom games, but I am more interested mods of rule tweaks right now, and to see if they can breathe new life in to familiar games.

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

is there a place I can see what updated rulesets people have made for old games?
    I love the custom games, but I am more interested mods of rule tweaks right now, and to see if they can breathe new life in to familiar games.

There isn't a common place for this yet so best to check out the individual projects on the go as detailed above. I will be undertaking some new game rewrites myself with the production of the batch 2 boards so will update on those as I get started

#186 5 years ago

New rewrites I will be working on and creating code sets for will be

Bally Fireball (Classic)
    Bally Star Trek
    Bally Nitro Groundshaker
    Bally Xenon

The order of these depends on what games I find first. Updates will be posted here as usual

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

New rewrites I will be working on and creating code sets for will be
    Bally Fireball (Classic)
    Bally Star Trek
    Bally Nitro Groundshaker
    Bally Xenon
    The order of these depends on what games I find first. Updates will be posted here as usual

When you get to Xenon, I'll be interested.
    I have lots of new ideas for her.

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I have lots of new ideas for her.

I’m all ears if you do like sharing some. She really has a lot of potential..

4 weeks later
    #189 5 years ago

Quick pic of the upcoming next batch of controller boards. Changes from the first revision board are:

- Health LED included
    - Power detection circuitry built in
    - Option to expand sound section using teensy 3.2 instead of stock mega
    - Switch matrix capacitors
    - Ground path updates

I've decided to add an optional extra in for using a teensy controller to run the sound section. I have some new code and frameworks for this which will give better quality and processing options for the sound section. The board will still include the original sound section to so you can choose to up upgrade it later etc. I may switch over completely in the future.

Bally Pinball Controller v1.3 component layout (resized).png

2 weeks later
    #190 5 years ago

Working on adding support to use original Bally sound boards via the aux connector on the controller board sets. I have been working on anew library called PinballSoundDecoder which allows hook up to original sound hardware. Will work with original game wiring and also can be driven directly form the aux connector. Will update again when i have an early release for testing

#191 5 years ago

Working on adding support for upgrading the flipper assemblies on games. The idea being that you can upgrade to use WMS wpc flipper mechs and then either use WMS parallel coils and/or Stern PWM coils. The pwm approach will be direct drop in with no wiring changes needed. The parallel coil option will require wiring additions for the extra drive transistor requirements. No EOS switches will be needed.

#192 5 years ago

Flash Gordon 2.0 would be awesome ....

#193 5 years ago

Wish I could buy the board with updated code already installed...

#194 5 years ago

Started to rough in some of the config files and setup stuff for Star Trek today. Looking to get a populated playfield that i can drop into my cabinet to for working on new rules. We shall see what turns up

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 10.04.28 (resized).png

#195 5 years ago

great interview on this flippin podcast 34b

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

great interview on this flippin podcast 34b

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it

#197 5 years ago

Jim,
    When will the next batch of boards be ready to send out to pre-order customers, I met with you in September if you remember and you said about 6 weeks ?

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from bossgp:

Jim,
    When will the next batch of boards be ready to send out to pre-order customers, I met with you in September if you remember and you said about 6 weeks ?

As soon as possible really. The board blanks are currently shipping to the UK at present. Once they arrive i will post updates here and on the discussion area and start assembly for all pre-order customers on batch 2. The bom for pre-orders is here and waiting having already been purchased. The 6 weeks was a best guess at the time but has taken longer, as i added a few extra options into the designs for future upgrades as mentioned above.

The remaining 50% cost for pre-orders with shipping will not be charged until your order is complete and ready to ship. You should be able to get on with writing code and setting up the appropriate config files for use with your chosen game whilst waiting, as access to all resources is granted from pre-order date. How is that going?

#199 5 years ago

What does additional RGB lamp control for extra lamps mean? Could I install serial LEDs under inserts?

When I click on More details on product... link under Custom Pinball Controller I get a page that shows no info.

Thanks.

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from mwiz:

What does additional RGB lamp control for extra lamps mean? Could I install serial LEDs under inserts?
    When I click on More details on product... link under Custom Pinball Controller I get a page that shows no info.
    Thanks.

Yes there is a serial RGB lamp connector designed for use with WS2812 rgb leds/boards. This is separate to the control of the main 64 led feature lamps and the auxiliary 32 led feature lamps

I'm still trying to find time to write the extra details pages on my site. Need more hours in the day!

There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside