Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Sammy31
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I am looking at a game to buy ( Flash Gordon)and the seller says the playfield Mylar was removed. Is this good or bad? Implications for longevity?Why would someone remove it?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

I am looking at a game to buy ( Flash Gordon)and the seller says the playfield Mylar was removed. Is this good or bad? Implications for longevity?Why would someone remove it?

In short it looks better (or it should if no paint was ripped off). In a home setting unless you're very anal you won't need mylar.

Over time, eXpecially an older game like that, the Mylar dulls and dirties and just isn't attractive. The risk with older games is the mylar can easily rip paint off...so keep your eyes peeled for touch ups.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks!

#4 6 years ago

I have pulled a lot of Mylar and I’ll second the above post. If the game is going in the home it will be fine. Looks better. Faster. Etc... if it’s going out somewhere it will wear out. A lot of older games hve planning under the Mylar and once exposed it can really start to crack up

#5 6 years ago

Bit if I ever chose to route I might want to recoat it?

#6 6 years ago

Typically Mylar removal weakens paint around the insert in my experience. I have seen some games that got significantly play with the Mylar removed that all began to wear. I think I’m location it would probably wear quickly. Especially an older game. It wouldn’t deter me from buying a game by no means though and I pull it a lot of times on games I have

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Bit if I ever chose to route I might want to recoat it?

Not with mylar. They now make clear playfield protectors. They're more expensive but easy to remove if you ever have to.

#8 6 years ago

Cool. Thanks guys!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Not with mylar. They now make clear playfield protectors. They're more expensive but easy to remove if you ever have to.

Try bay area amusements. I think they carry the protector. It's around $130. I have them on a few of my games. Need to save up for a few more.

#10 6 years ago

The mis-information that playfields don't wear in a home setting needs to be abolished. Even in home settings playfield wear can develop around pop bumpers, in front of slingshots at flipper tips, ball drops, around inserts, rollover trip-wire holes...more.

Do with this info as you wish, but do not believe the "heavy wear" areas on a game don't wear in a home. It takes longer and isn't as much as route games, but they will wear.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

The mis-information that playfields don't wear in a home setting needs to be abolished. Even in home settings playfield wear can develop around pop bumpers, in front of slingshots at flipper tips, ball drops, around inserts, rollover trip-wire holes...more.
Do with this info as you wish, bu myt do not believe the "heavy wear" areas on a game don't wear in a home. It takes longer and isn't as much as route games, but they will wear.

I agree with this. While you don't need mylar in as many spots, I still tend to use it in some heavy travel spots. Even with diamond plated games playfield wear can creep up on you.

#12 6 years ago

If you have nice mylar keep it. Add to it.
If you don't remove it and touch up, then 4 coats of automotive clear.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Do with this info as you wish, but do not believe the "heavy wear" areas on a game don't wear in a home. It takes longer and isn't as much as route games, but they will wear.

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with this statement at all. If the game is played it is going to wear. In the home setting the wear will be significantly less.

#14 6 years ago

Seems like a playfield protector is the easiest and most reliable? If i sink over $1k into a game I want to keep and play a lot, the additional expense of a protector seems minor and a good investment.

#15 6 years ago

I wouldn't add mylar to a non-mylared game, but if it's already there and in good condition, it stays. It protected the playfield from wear and planking for 30-something years, right? Use a Treasure Cover kit or similar to polish it up and it will look just fine.

#16 6 years ago

I've read that a few people have had success with this polishing kit for taking care of cloudy mylar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIZ5HY

I won't remove mylar unless absolutely necessary--it's too much of a pain, and carries some risk of lifting paint. It did its job in protecting the playfield, and it really doesn't affect play all that significantly. Clean it and wax it, and balls travel over it fine.

I also add mylar to protect from wear when I'm done shopping out a playfield. Most of the older games I work on don't have the benefit of those new protectors anyway.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've read that a few people have had success with this polishing kit for taking care of cloudy mylar:
amazon.com link »
I won't remove mylar unless absolutely necessary--it's too much of a pain, and carries some risk of lifting paint. It did its job in protecting the playfield, and it really doesn't affect play all that significantly. Clean it and wax it, and balls travel over it fine.
I also add mylar to protect from wear when I'm done shopping out a playfield. Most of the older games I work on don't have the benefit of those new protectors anyway.

I have full intentions on trying that on my phantom of the opera.

I typically will only remove the Mylar if it is peeling or discolored. I will put strips in front of drop banks and slings and also add Mylar circles to areas where the ball drops out of a ramp or from an upper playfield.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Seems like a playfield protector is the easiest and most reliable? If i sink over $1k into a game I want to keep and play a lot, the additional expense of a protector seems minor and a good investment.

Well easier than clearing but can still be many hours to install protector.

#19 6 years ago

I add mylar or cling vinyl to potential wear areas in all my games (took me almost 2 hrs to measure and cut mylar to fit between the pops on my WOZ). I don't have the attitude where I don't care because once I let the machine go I'll never see it again and it's someone else's problem.
I appreciate a 25 year old game that still looks good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 10.00
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-why-or-why-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.