You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3231 (resized).JPG
IMG_3227 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hello,
I recently stripped my skyline playfield and did an automotive clearcoat on it. It was a lot of work to level everything out, but it turned out amazing and I am currently in the middle of repopulating the playfield. My question is, should I go ahead and install the new mylar rings around my 5 pop bumpers? Or leave them off? This machine will be used in my home, but I want it to last and to continue to look great.
My concern is that the mylar ring will begin to yellow, or lift and get dirty again. Or when applying wax it will end up being a place where wax gets caught up and looks bad.
But my other concern is if I leave it off, will I end up with some serious pitting around the pop bumpers?

I would prefer the look with them not installed, but I want to hear what everyone else has to say about using them before I go ahead and install my pop bumpers again.

-Brett

#2 7 years ago

Yes. Self adhesive ones to the playfield. They virtually dissappear once applied and shouldn't yellow or lift if applied correctly.

#3 7 years ago

Self stick mylar is good.

#4 7 years ago

I think you would be ok without them
for home use

#5 7 years ago

My vote: Not for home use. Besides, you can polish clear up to full gloss in a decade if need be, mylar doesn't polish up as nice. I have no issue whatsoever with clear around pops, or any where else. If you do mylar, be sure to wait at least a week after you clear it, to allow the solvent to escape, otherwise it will be much tougher to remove later in life, almost a chemical bond with the clear. I might even wax it prior to mylar, so removal might go very easy if need be.
JP

#6 7 years ago

Yes, use the adhesive kind!

Wax before you Mylar.

#7 7 years ago

I've used them on all my games it really doesn't take away from the play or from the look of the game-

#8 7 years ago

Yes, even I home use, the playfield can sustain damage around pops, at ball drops and in front of slingshots and flippers. Takes a lot longer to manifest and get worse than on route, but it will happen eventually if you play it.

#9 7 years ago

Ok thanks for all the input everyone! I decided that I'm going to stick them down. Hopefully they turn out well!

#10 7 years ago

Original SBM playfield with Mylar and one without Mylar. Need I say more.

IMG_3227 (resized).JPGIMG_3227 (resized).JPG
IMG_3231 (resized).JPGIMG_3231 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

I'm definitely in the mylar camp as well. With the the 2PAC (and a little wax down) you can always take that mylar back up if it gets dirty.

Will it need the mylar in the next 5 years of play? Probably not. But what about 10 years from now? How about 20 or 30 years? Who can predict how many plays it may have on it by then and if it would wear through? If you went to the trouble of 2PAC, I assume you want this to remain a show peace for a long time.

When I restore a game I'm not just doing it so it looks great now, I want it to look great decades from now.

-Jay

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Swansea, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-rings-around-pop-bumpers-or-no?hl=joey__p__1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.