• Latest reply 5 years ago by tjc02002
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181212_110125[1] (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I'm currently working on my new Space Station and I hope you guys can help me with your advice and knowledge.

The playfield is in pretty good condition for the most part, although the mylar is starting to let go at some of the inserts. At the "Bonus Hold" light a previous owner apparently tried to fix this by cutting a small V-shaped incision. The small "flounce" that was created in this manner is sticking out now which is not good for the gameplay of course (see photo attached).

I don't want to replace the whole mylar for now, and I was wondering if you guy have any idea how I could patch this problem for now. Should I for instance try to glue it with a mild adhesive (so that it can still be removed later on)? Or should I cut out the "flounce" and fill in hole?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Regards,

Luiz

20181212_110125[1] (resized).jpg20181212_110125[1] (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Unfortunately, your best options are to cut off the tab and leave as is, or to remove the sheet of mylar.

#3 5 years ago

I would shave off that little tab of mylar and then place a circle of removable mylar over that insert, cut to fit the black keyline so it doesn't show.

#4 5 years ago

System 11 paint/inserts are notorious for flaking off so if you plan on taking any amount of mylar off you run the risk of losing the paint underneath. Best method IMO is freeze spray then adhesive remover. I have injected similar areas to what your seeing using a syringe and clearcoat as well as UV curing adhesive. injecting it will make it look much better but its hard to get it to be perfect. Problem with injecting it is that if anyone ever decides to remove the mylar it could be a problem in that area. Honestly though, if you remove mylar on a system 11 its a huge risk so I just commit to either keeping it or removing it and make my decision.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-retouch-tips-needed?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.