Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Question, I recently acquired an F14 Tomcat and was thinking of replacing the mylar. If I were to pull the old mylar off, do I need to remove the adhesive before laying the new mylar...or can it simply be smoothed down over the existing glue?

#2 4 years ago

There are several posts on mylar removal. There is quite a bit of risk with System 11 playfields in pulling up paint and artwork. Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone.

#3 4 years ago

On a system 11? I would absolutely avoid doing that. The chances of losing paint are fairly high, and a near certainty on the inserts.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

On a system 11? I would absolutely avoid doing that. The chances of losing paint are fairly high, and a near certainty on the inserts.

Since you mention that, please help others like me that know enough to know that I don’t know enough about Mylar on pinball machines, what machines are ok (using proper Mylar removal practices) to remove it, and what machines are not, like you mentioned above?

#5 4 years ago

Yep leaveing it alone is probably the best option. The freeze method works pretty well in most cases but still cld have issues pulling things off the playfield. Also yes u wld need all.old glue off the playfield.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Since you mention that, please help others like me that know enough to know that I don’t know enough about Mylar on pinball machines, what machines are ok (using proper Mylar removal practices) to remove it, and what machines are not like you mentioned above?

In most cases clearcoated play fields are ok to pull mylar from

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Since you mention that, please help others like me that know enough to know that I don’t know enough about Mylar on pinball machines, what machines are ok (using proper Mylar removal practices) to remove it, and what machines are not like you mentioned above?

WPC is usually ok. Gottlieb system 3 tends to be iffy (and is usually best to avoid).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.