Mylar removal

By pinstyle

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

any thoughts on removing mylar from a EATPM? The pop bumper area looks pretty beat up. The main large sheet it pulling up by the kick out hole up top. Pull it? Or am i opening a can of worms. I read some are easier than others to pull and factory mylar i said to be the toughest and best left alone. I know the process im just not sure i should attempt it.

#2 11 years ago

I pulled the Mylar on my F-14 and I'm glad I did. F-14 is notoriously difficult to lift the Mylar and clear the glue (which it was), but worth it. I can't imagine EATPM being more difficult. Just read the threads, get at least 3 cans of freeze spray, and go slooooow. Have fun with the adhesive removal!

#3 11 years ago

Yea i already know its going to be a b!tch but im really considering clear coating it. I have axcess to free automotive clear coat by the guy who repairs our trucks at work. He does nice work amd knows quite a bit about the process. I should take advantage since i have the opertunity. Thanks man.

I heard goo gone is the best for the removal process so i think im going to try that route. Its coming up so i have an edge to work with.

#4 11 years ago

I recommend Goo Gone gel vs regular Goo Gone. It doesn't run and will absorb better into the adhesive. I didn't use alcohol or naphtha.

Oh, and don't forget the shop towels. You'll need them!

#5 11 years ago

If you're not getting it cleared by someone who has done system 11 games before, don't lift the mylar - it's the only reason the paint has survived that long. Even waxed it'll start to wear pretty quickly.

#6 11 years ago

Flour for glue removal with orange power or equivalent

#7 11 years ago

If/when you start to remove the mylar get a heat gun and soften up the glue so it don't tear up the play field planking. Thats what happened to my SOF and it's going to be a PITA to repaint and look good. Thats after I fill the hole up with clear coat to level it...

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I recommend Goo Gone gel vs regular Goo Gone. It doesn't run and will absorb better into the adhesive. I didn't use alcohol or naphtha.

Oh, and don't forget the shop towels. You'll need them!

^^^ +1

#9 11 years ago

Mudflaps..., did you have paint come up?

System 11...., ellaborate please. Does the paint underneith require a certain type of clear over the top? The guy thats going to be clearing it does amazing work. He knows a lot about paints and which ones are safe to use an automotive clear over. He's been doing it for a very long time, just cars obviously and our trucks now. I will be removing the mylar and prepping it for him. Do you think im going to lose mad paint?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Do you think im going to lose mad paint?

That is something that you just have to do it and see. Just be gentle when removing the left over glue.

#11 11 years ago

I recommend using the freeze spray method to remove the mylar off the playfield and for the left over adhesive glue use flour plus isopropyl alcohol. I removed mylar off an I500 playfield earlier this month and sent over to my friend Drano for clear coating. Pics and explanation posted on my local pinball forum here:

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=177

#12 11 years ago

Alright guys, i'll keep reading up though i dont think there is much more for me to read, looks like i just have to tackle it and pray. Thanks for all the tips.

System11, i understand what your saying, i intend to clear coat it after removal.

Thanks again

Mwong , i read through your link. I get the same thing from my lady, im ussually up very late, its the only time i find where i can work undisturbed.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Mudflaps..., did you have paint come up?
System 11...., ellaborate please. Does the paint underneith require a certain type of clear over the top? The guy thats going to be clearing it does amazing work. He knows a lot about paints and which ones are safe to use an automotive clear over. He's been doing it for a very long time, just cars obviously and our trucks now. I will be removing the mylar and prepping it for him. Do you think im going to lose mad paint?

I think everyone has covered this -- just work slowly and carefully. Personally, I didn't lose any paint, but I also went through about 5 cans of freeze spray. Just when I thought it was good, I blasted again. Listen for that nice crackling sound. Hit the top and underside with plenty of spray.

The bittering agent is a pain. It stayed in my clothes and on my skin for days.

1 week later
#14 11 years ago

Freeze spray worked great, i didnt lose anything. Glue removal isnt too bad but the glue left on the inserts is a nightmare to remove. Im useing a rag with alcohol and a dry rag behind it. I'll be touching up the paint soon. Its going to look awesome clear coated.

#15 11 years ago

Flour and rubbing alcohol worked well for me to get the glue up.

Do a search web search and you will find several write-ups. But basically you are sprinkling on dry regular baking flour which sticks to the glue covered area, then dip your finger in a small bowl of rubbing alcohol and rub your now wet finger on the flour/glue area. Vacuum up the now glue covered flour, repeat.

The alcohol seems to loosen up the glue and it coats the flour instead of it getting spread all over the place like when I used a rag.

#16 11 years ago

I probably should have used the flour, it would have saved me some time cleaning. Anyways, im not afraid of mylar anymore.

Thanks for the reasurance guys.

#17 11 years ago

I am still trying to figure out if anyone has just put down new Mylar instead of clearcoating after removing the old stuff. My BK has ball swirls under the mylar someone added at a later point. I want to remove it, clean it, and put new stuff back down. Anyone done this? I have an f-14 I thought about doing the same on two, you can still by the die cut to shape mylar for that one.

#18 11 years ago

I thinks that certainly an option. I did a little research and found mylar by the roll at Pinrepair.com. Personally if i was going to take that route, i would cover the entire surface. Stick it down, trim the edges, use an exacto knife and carefully cut out all the holes for switches and such.

#19 11 years ago

I like naptha for mylar removal. Sys 11 pins are dangerous.

#20 11 years ago

I know for fact my HS PF was never mylared. They never were mylared at the factory. When purchased new Williams threw the mylar sheet in cabinet and it was the purchasing owners responsibility to apply the mylar. My paint has held up just fine, some wear spots but nothing major.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 45.95
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 49.99
£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 69.99
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 70.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.