• 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by rmancini
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130206_194334.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider videobrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So I finally built up the courage to pull the mylar on my TFTC. There was already a bit near the outlane where it had raised up a bit so I thought it would be easy to spray under there and use that as my starting point. When I gave the mylar a little tug, a tiny piece of the edge just broke off. I grabbed another piece and again it just cracked off as though the mylar was really brittle. Now there were no raised bits left in that area, so I moved to another edge and started to pick at it with my fingernail. The mylar just started flaking off again! All the pics I've seen, people just seem to be able to get it off in one piece. What am I doing wrong? It's going to take weeks to chip it off bit by bit!

#4 11 years ago

I had a go with a plastic razor blade and got one of the corners to raise quite well, but then as soon as I use the freeze spray, it turns the mylar brittle and makes it snap off. Going to get the hair dryer out now and combine it with the plastic razor blade

#6 11 years ago

So far, so good with the hair dryer method. The highest heat setting definitely gives the best results

#7 11 years ago

It was going really well until the very last bit, I could see paint was starting to come off over an insert I went from a different angle to try and minimise the damage, and saved most of the paint apart from a chip on the corner, which came off with the mylar. But the paint that's left has lifted and it still has the glue on it that's left over from the mylar. Not really sure where to go from here

#12 11 years ago

The damage is on the 3rd door insert. The top right corner has chipped off but I still have the piece, might be missing a tiny sliver. The paint is lifting on the bottom left a bit and the bottom right. I'm thinking the best option might just be to cut a piece of mylar to cover the area..

IMG_20130206_194334.jpegIMG_20130206_194334.jpeg

#14 11 years ago

Ok, thanks for the advice, I'm starting to feel a bit better about it now. I'll order the glue and it should be here by the time I get the mylar glue off the playfield. I will look into the spot clearcoating as that would definitely be preferable to putting down more mylar.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

That would be a very easy touch up.
Once you get the glue off, I would see if there is any more of that art wanting to lift off the insert. If so, inject a little bit of "thin CA glue" underneath. It will find its way into every crevice.
Once that has set, you should be able to paint that area and either use Mylar or mask off the area around and do a spot clearcoat from a can and buff it out.
Good luck

I'm using the alcohol and flour method, but it's still taking quite a while to remove. Is it a bad idea to glue the paint down with the thin CA glue before I remove the mylar glue from that piece? I'm a bit concerned that I'll damage the piece if I attempt to clean it before i've glued it down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 64.00
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider videobrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-pulling-problems?tu=videobrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.