(Topic ID: 92661)

Mylar or Playfield Protector after touch ups?

By MonkeyGrass

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 5 years ago

Ok guys, I'm about to tackle some artwork restoration on my Taxi, and I'm curious as to what you prefer for post-restoration protection. I'm thinking about possibly going one of two ways with this:

1) After touching up the field, use the Mylar lower playfield protector from Marco's, adding pop bumper rings and some custom cut/applied sections to the Santa kickout and the Gorby lane leading to the top of the rollovers. Total cost - about $55 in mylar pieces. Drawback? Multiple Mylar pieces can affect ball travel. I really wish they did a full field protector!!

2) Getting one of these new poly playfield protectors to cover the whole field with one seamless piece. Cost - about $135 after shipping. Drawback? Untested product, unknown life-span.

Just to be clear (pun intended) I am NOT going to clear coat this playfield - so please don't suggest it. If I were to go to that kind of trouble and expense, I would buy a repro and rebuild the whole table. I have some minor wear around the 5 green inserts in the middle, around Lola, and the pop bumper area. I am starting to get a wear spot from the Santa kickout. The field is level, plays awesome and I simply want to touch up the artwork that is there and prevent any future wear.

What says the community?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

I really wish they did a full field protector!!

They do.

$24

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFT

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

...use the Mylar lower playfield protector from Marco's, adding pop bumper rings and some custom cut/applied sections to the Santa kickout and the Gorby lane leading to the top of the rollovers. Total cost - about $55 in mylar pieces.

Yep, as I mentioned, using a blank sheet and cutting to taste is option #1. The 12" sheets are already in my shopping cart. Well aware of them.

The question was, which is preferred - Mylar or Markolan?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

The 12" sheets are already in my shopping cart. Well aware of them.

But instead of 12" sheets, order a single 48"x22" cut from the roll.

No seams, no separate pop rings.... just one continuous sheet of protection.

Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

The question was, which is preferred - Mylar or Markolan?

I've only played one game that had it installed, and it seemed cool. Too early to say if it is the be all, end all.

#5 5 years ago

I would put this on: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-TAXI-PF-PROTECTORthey are so shiny they look like after market clear coats. Free floating and easy to remove. Mylar sucks.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But instead of 12" sheets, order a single 48"x22" cut from the roll.
No seams, no separate pop rings.... just one continuous sheet of protection.

I've only played one game that had it installed, and it seemed cool. Too early to say if it is the be all, end all.

I have little to no faith that I would be able to cut it accurately enough on the entire playfield to make it actually look or sit correctly. That's A LOT of cutting and it all has to be perfect. How many folks here have successfully cut their entire playfield out of a single piece of Mylar? I'd love to know, honestly.

Quoted from markmon:

I would put this on: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-TAXI-PF-PROTECTORthey are so shiny they look like after market clear coats. Free floating and easy to remove. Mylar sucks.

This is kind of what I'm leaning towards. I like the fact that its easily removable and not adhered to the table. If I hate it, I can pull off, re-sell it or worst case, I'm out $130. If the Mylar doesn't sit well, I'm screwed. Not to mention, having to custom-cut and fab my own upper playfield *really* increases the chances that it would be less than ideal. And with my paint condition, it's never coming off unless I decide to replace the PF with a CPR repro.

Mylar is a "known" quantity to me (and the rest of the community). I already have one table that was done at the factory, or immediately done pre-routing by the op. The playfield is the best part of the entire pin - 20+ years later. Plays great, fast, waxes right up and doesn't have the planking or swirling that the few unprotected areas show. It does have 2 rather aggravating bubbles, but overall, not bad.

Markolan is a pretty new player in the game. Seems like very mixed results. From what I seem to be reading, if it's put on a new, or freshly stripped/restored playfield, and cleaned regularly, it's a great, non-permanent solution. Probably end up replacing it every 3-5 years, depending on how much use the game gets. Plus I could get one now, put it on pre-restore and see how it plays. It would prevent any further damage to the paint, and come right up when I get around to the touch ups.

Anyone else have hand-on with both of these and willing to offer some feedback?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

I have little to no faith that I would be able to cut it accurately enough on the entire playfield to make it actually look or sit correctly. That's A LOT of cutting and it all has to be perfect. How many folks here have successfully cut their entire playfield out of a single piece of Mylar? I'd love to know, honestly.

It's easier than you think.

You cut it AFTER you install it.

So you clean the playfield, wax it (so you can get the mylar off someday), stick down the Mylar (Note that it is several inches larger than need be), roll out the air bubbles to the next available hole in the playfield.

Now just take an Xacto knife and trim around all the holes, slots and of course the outside edge of the playfield.

#8 5 years ago

So I take that you are not a fan of Markolan? That full-sheet Mylar method does sound do-able, hadn't thought of it that way!!

#9 5 years ago

The results are not the same. One looks like Mylar. The other looks like a nice shiny clear coat.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

So I take that you are not a fan of Markolan?

Like I said, I've only played one game that had it installed.

#11 5 years ago

I plan on buying the play field protector for my IM as soon as it's available

#12 5 years ago

I have the Markolan on my Getaway and F14. It is a bit thicker than Mylar so you may need to account for that. There was no issues with the Getaway, but I had to adjust some heights on the F14 (switches and the 2 metal plates that the ball drops to in the upper center after launch). The Markolan was a bit higher and would affect the ball path.

I did buy a replacement Mylar sheet for the F14 when I was redoing the playfield, but decided on the Markolan instead as it didn't want to stick more Mylar down after removing what was there originally.

Also the cut outs for F14 could have been a bit "tighter" as the odd time if the ball is going slow enough it could get trapped between the odd post and the edge of the Markolan.

The shooter lane section on the Getaway also had to be modify to work correctly (and taped down at 1 point). The weight of the ball was enough to cause it to move and interfere with shooting the ball and at times with the ball being ejected into the shooting lane.

I would also liked to see it extend a bit further down into the center drain as well (down inside the apron) - did suggest this to the manufacturer, never heard anything back.

I would probably buy it again as it is a decent product and looks awesome when new (does get scratches in it after many plays - which may buff out with Novus), just be aware that it may not be a 100% perfect fit.

#13 5 years ago

I have a PF protector on my BoP and one coming for FH and i really love the fast feeling and shiny look !

#14 5 years ago

Excellent thanks for the feedback guys! I'm leaning towards the Markolan. It's obviously going to be easier to install, be removable if/when it needs to be, and since my paint is pretty dull, I think the "clear-coat" side effect might be a nice touch. I am fully stocked on Novus and Plexus, and I think I'll be able to maintain a pretty decent shine for a few years. Heck, even if I have to replace it every 3 years to keep it looking new, that's about $40 a yr to keep my playfield from ever wearing further. Well worth it, IMO.

#15 5 years ago

Cool.

Get it and take lots of pictures of the install and upkeep.

5 months later
#16 4 years ago

Vid1900 - thanks! You inadvertantly helped me make a decision about taking off my mylar and what to do with my touched-up playfield afterwards! I'm taking off the mylar and replacing with a full sheet from Marco......!!!

#17 4 years ago

Vid, I've read your recommendations in other posts on waxing before installing mylar. How much easier does a waxed playfield make future mylar removal? Does it mitigate most/all chance of artwork coming up with the mylar?

#18 4 years ago

MonkeyGrass, any word on the Markolan??

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Vid, I've read your recommendations in other posts on waxing before installing mylar. How much easier does a waxed playfield make future mylar removal? Does it mitigate most/all chance of artwork coming up with the mylar?

It makes it about 10x easier to remove.

But, if the playfield is already flaky, or the game was stored in the garage, or, or, or.......

Try it under the apron of a game you have, both waxed and unwaxed just to get a feel for the difference.

1 week later
#20 4 years ago

Once mylar wears and get a bit cloudy, can Novus clear it up? I didn't think it could be polished once dull.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Once mylar wears and get a bit cloudy, can Novus clear it up? I didn't think it could be polished once dull.

Yes, you can polish it, just use a headlight polisher or something like that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside