8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wiredworm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 8 years ago

I'm in the process of doing a full shop-out on a Data East Rocky & Bullwinkle.

I'm intending on having what little damage there is to the playfield touched in and then the whole thing is getting clear coated. Obviously before doing this the mylar needs stripping.

So far i've removed one section from just in front of the Aesop Hole. I've also removed as section of mylar from around the pop bumpers and another at the top above the center lanes. I've also removed two small sections from the return lanes.

It looks to me like there is also mylar just in front of the S-A-V-E-D targets and two semi-circles in front of the slingshots. What is strange is that these sections just don't want to budge. In fact the circle in front of the targets feels recessed instead of standing proud as i'd expect.

Is anyone who's already stripped mylar from an R&B able to confirm if these locations do have mylar and if so did they manage to lift if succesfully?

So far i've been using the freeze spray method and it's worked well, but only after i'd managed to first get a corner lifted.

#2 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure that's not mylar in front of the saved targets. It should have a sort of 'cut' outline around it. You'll want to leave that intact.

#3 8 years ago

It's not mylar - it's an insert which has dropped ever so slightly (i'm talking less than a hairs thickness). I figured this out when I looked at the back and the circle perfectly matches up with where the insert is.

Two semi-circles of mylar in front of the sling though right?

#4 8 years ago

Yep. Getting back to the insert, I've found that slightly sunk-in deal is pretty much universal. There are even nos playfields floating around with that same 'feature'.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks Firebrand.

I've had a look at the mylar in front of the slings and it looks different to the other mylar patches. I'm not sure if it's just thinner or it's been applied in a different way but my gut feeling is that lifting it is going to be a nightmare. It's not bubbling or discoloured; in fact it's barely noticeable.

That being the case I think i'll leave it alone - i've stripped the sections near Aesops Hole, the Pop Bumpers and the top and right side of the outer loop. There were two small patches on the return lanes (below where the habitrails drop the balls) so i've pulled those too.

I've noticed that in addition to that insert being a little low the arrow insert on the top right of the playfield (near the Rhino) is very slightly lifted at the top side. Again it's so minimal that i'm not going to worry about it. If I can find someone to do a proper 2k clearcoat job on it then that should mask the raised and dipped inserts anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,900 (OBO)
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 27.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 18.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-locations-on-rocky-bullwinkle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.