3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by phil-lee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I am thinking about installing mylar on a playfield. Never done that, but have successfully removed mylar with the canned compressed air/freeze spray method several times. I have read that when installing mylar if you have bubbles or other issues you can pull the mylar up and redo it. Never do these instructions/recommendations state needing heat or freeze spray during any repositioning process. I'm guessing the mylar adhesives cure over time and removal is easy during the first few minutes or so, but not sure. Can someone explain when freeze spray is needed and when it is not when removing/repositioning mylar?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I am thinking about installing mylar on a playfield. Never done that, but have successfully removed mylar with the canned compressed air/freeze spray method several times. I have read that when installing mylar if you have bubbles or other issues you can pull the mylar up and redo it. Never do these instructions/recommendations state needing heat or freeze spray during any repositioning process. I'm guessing the mylar adhesives cure over time and removal is easy during the first few minutes or so, but not sure. Can someone explain when freeze spray is needed and when it is not when removing/repositioning mylar?

Freeze spray is only used to remove and throw away mylar not position it.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Freeze spray is only used to remove and throw away mylar not position it.

I figured that much. I guess my question is why? Why do you need it to lift mylar if you're going to throw it away, but not need it (or anything else) to lift it and put it back down?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I figured that much. I guess my question is why? Why do you need it to lift mylar if you're going to throw it away, but not need it (or anything else) to lift it and put it back down?

Because the process of Freeze spray is the Freeze the adhesive and separate it from the mylar. To apply mylar I personally use the same process you would for installing most any decal.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Because the process of Freeze spray is the Freeze the adhesive and separate it from the mylar.

I understand that. I guess I'm still not getting the answer I hoping for....maybe I'm not asking the right question. I'll try again, or maybe someone else can answer my question:

If you use freeze or heat to lift mylar so you don't damage the paint or playfield, then why, when installing mylar, you can put it down, then lift it back up without damaging the paint or playfield without freeze or heat?

Quoted from Yelobird:

To apply mylar I personally use the same process you would for installing most any decal.

So what you are saying is that you put the mylar in warm water for 60 seconds then transfer it onto the playfield? Never heard of that method before!

#6 3 years ago

Mylar is sticky as hell. You really don't want to chance pulling up paint, even if its new. However if its clear coated with 2-part it should be safe if well cured. Not sure I would try pulling it up without heat/cold or Goof off on new play fields that have a record of recent adhesion problems with clear coat.
    Could see how when applying new not pressing it down and being able to lift/ reposition it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-install-and-removal-question?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.