20170904_180255 (resized).jpg
IMG_0140 (resized).JPG
IMG_0139 (resized).JPG
IMG_3470 (resized).JPG
IMG_3469 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi
First I'm a fan on Vid's guide about playfield resto. A Bible. The Bible

I read most of it and I'm working on flour and alcool 99% for my Mylar glue removal. My fingers are dying! I work on a full chest Is there something new under the sun?
It's so loooong and fastidious.

I work on a Taxi btw
Some decal inserts are Done. How should I remove these decals? Cheaper in times to order new ones with decals?

Thank you very much!
Lou

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

Cheaper in times to order new ones with decals?

While I don't have any advice on mylar removal, or decal removal-- I can offer at least one bit of advice:

If you buy new insert decals, be careful as to what kind you get. Some have the ink printed "topside" and some have the ink printed on the bottom. Theoretically, the bottomside printed ones are made to be "peel 'n stick" and be done with it, whereas the topside inked insert decals are designed to be cleared over. In my limited experience, I've found that even the bottomside printed decals have lackluster performance if not clear coated over.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks Mbaumle
I ordered ones from Ministry. Not sure to get your point but will figure it out as I see them. Hopefully

Still trying to ger how to deal with these damage insert decals...insert plastics seems good if not I'll buy new one

IMG_3469 (resized).JPGIMG_3469 (resized).JPG

IMG_3470 (resized).JPGIMG_3470 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

Level the inserts first.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Level the inserts first.

yep. Santa Claus looks pretty full

#6 7 years ago

I'm thinking that the original insert artwork was probably screened onto the playfield, so in order to get them off, your best bet would probably be to scrape off the old art with a razor, buff up the face of the insert, level it like Taxman said, then apply the new decals. I know some playfield restorers take the time to trim off excess decal bits from around the edges so that it's a better fit on the playfield.

#7 7 years ago

Concerning mylar glue removal - It may not save your fingers, but I use Goo Gone, let it sit until it looks almost evaporated (Playfield should be level), then I use a plastic razor blade (Auto Parts stores have them) and carefully scrape off the glue. Takes two or three applications to really get all the glue off.
Down side is if the razor blade is in a holder and you slip, your holder can gouge the playfield.

#8 7 years ago

Lets get this 100%.......goo gone works great on diamond plate playfields. flour and 99% on lacquered playfields.

once you get a dried out crisp of a playfield with a worn ground in surface you need to switch over to flour.

I've done tons of both and there are reasons to use one over the other depending on the field. goo gone gets laughed at by dried out crusty system 11 era mylar glue. just because goo gone or fancy orange spray worked on your WMS DCS game it doesn't mean it will work on every game. I've done mylar removal on 4 BK2Ks and experimented with the results. for one, goo gone worked, but the glue was soft and supple. the other was a total loss with the same method.

just my 2 cents.

-c

#9 7 years ago

I have done both a High Speed and a Pinbot. Used Goo Gone on one and Orange Power on the other, both with plastic razor blades. Both worked great, but Orange Power was much easier.

#10 7 years ago

Where do you source your 99%? All I can find locally is 91%. I'm not above trying something different - I've just never tried using flour and 99%. Do you still use the plastic razor blade or does the glue "gather up" with the flour? (I have visions of pizza dough mix, add water, and watch it turn into a ball)

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Where do you source your 99%? All I can find locally is 91%. I'm not above trying something different - I've just never tried using flour and 99%. Do you still use the plastic razor blade or does the glue "gather up" with the flour? (I have visions of pizza dough mix, add water, and watch it turn into a ball)

your local pharmacy should have that.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Where do you source your 99%?

Hardware store "Denatured Alcohol" is usually 30-50% Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) and 40-60% Methyl Alcohol (Methanol). No water. That's probably as close to 100% as you're going to get when it comes to alcohol.

#13 7 years ago

Works good.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

» YouTube video
Works good.

It's not that easy on my playfield. I really have to push hard with to only get a small amount removed.

I'm using methyl hydrate. Is it different than isopropyl?

4 months later
#15 6 years ago

Finger are raw, playfield getting cleaner. Uggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh, this blows.

Found if I first cover in flour, then give it a isopropyl soak, rub and rub, takes a layer off, coat in flour again, soak in goo gone, repeat, takes next layer, then coat with flour and basically dry rub it comes off together. Clumpy glue flour bits.

IMG_0139 (resized).JPGIMG_0139 (resized).JPG

IMG_0140 (resized).JPGIMG_0140 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

Good job...never got it to work on my HS.
EDIT: Flour was my last step after naptha and a plastic scraper

#17 6 years ago

This method is so idiotic. Use naptha and an old credit card. Takes it right up. No need to use flour, keep that shit in the kitchen where it belongs.

#18 6 years ago

Well soooory!

I actually got to a good spot where I mixed the goo gone with some isopropyl acl and some flour and scraped, it all clumped up nicely whereas everything was scraping together and took the main layer, then wiped one more coat of goo gone and wiped back and forth with a non abrasive sponge thingy. Took all the last bits and small stuck pieces. Did he second half twice as fast. Happy.

#19 6 years ago

In the automotive detailing world there are solvents designed to remove decal/sticker glue. Very smelly, and very flammable.
Not sure if these solvents will attack the playfield paint/ink. It is surely is a possibility. The glue remover will soften up the adhesive allowing the glue to be wiped off or scraped off. But is on an automotive finish not silkscreened art work.

Some day, some where, some one, should try it on a damaged playfield. There is no point in using a product that will damage the surface of the playfield.

#20 6 years ago

I tried the flour and alcohol trick for a few hours on a FH pf that had a huge factory Mylar sheet. Didn't work well for me, got blisters. Likely operator error...

Raided the wife's essential oils collection and found that orange oil and eucalyptus oil both worked like a dream to remove the adhesive. Maybe half of a 1 or 2 oz bottle of orange oil had all the adhesive off. Total cost maybe $10.

I poured a bit on and rubbed it around in a circular pattern till it stopped removing adhesive. Then I did another section and so on. Took maybe 45 mins to remove all of the adhesive.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

...Didn't work well for me, got blisters....
Raided the wife's essential oils collection...I poured a bit on and rubbed it around in a circular pattern....

Go on....

#22 6 years ago

Has anyone tried a 3M stripe off wheel? If not by itself, maybe even just at low speed instead of your fingers? I've used one for other things and it's not harsh, but you would want to watch the heat from the friction.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Stripe-Off-Wheel?N=5002385+8709324+8709962+3293162209&rt=rud

-Mike

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

This method is so idiotic. Use naptha and an old credit card. Takes it right up. No need to use flour, keep that shit in the kitchen where it belongs.

Agree, seems like a giant mess to me. I use Orange 909 and plastic razor blade. The 909 turns the glue into jelly in a couple of minutes.

2 months later
#24 6 years ago

Hi all just finished removing the Mylar and the glue residue from my Top Score . Was nervous to start but just used a hair dryer on low to warm it up as i slowly removed the Mylar. didn't pull up , pulled back over the still in place mylar . slow and steady. Took it of in small sections to reduce the pressure. Now for the glue residue.. Soooooo easy with Eucalyptus oil. Splashed it on in sections rubed it and used my fingernails. the glue released in less than a minute . kept it moist and scraped jelly glue off with a small plastic scraper. After i had 90% of it of i just went over it again with an old cotton sock dipped in Eucalyptus oil. Cant believe how easy it was. the sock worked a treat as it is rougher than the old tshirt i first used. will be confident in the future. here are a few pics is now "as new" lol

20170904_180255 (resized).jpg20170904_180255 (resized).jpg

20170717_114022 (resized).jpg20170717_114022 (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

Wow looks great pindaz!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mylar-glueflour-and-99?hl=kronlar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.