Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dooskie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rat1 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Princess Lea (aka Carrie Fisher) just passed away. OMG. What a terrible year for celebrities who passed that left such an impression when I was growing up.

I lost my TV Mom Mrs Brady. I loved that show so much I made my kids watch every episode with me. There were some pretty good parenting lessons on that show. And Marsha.

I lost the next best thing to Santa Claus - Willy Wonka. Man, I really hoped there was a Wonka Chocolate factory growing up just so I could try that everlasting gobstopper. And an oompa loompa was the next best thing to meeting an actual elf.

I lost three stars from the movie that was THE movie growing up. R2D2 (Kenny Baker), Adm Akbar (voice) and Princess Lea. I still remember all the wrong things I made Chewbacca do to that Princess Lea action figure. Greedo never got his turn.

I lost my first celebrity teenage crush, Vanity. Man she was smoking hot. I still have a poster of her and the playboy magazine somewhere she posed in. Two days ago while sick at 2am I found the Last Dragon on cable. Man she was smoking hot. Read how she passed, so so sad.

Yeah, I also lost actors from shows I used to watch when really young like Green Acres, Barny Miller, Alice, and Lois Lane (TV Superman reruns). And yeah, music that was so iconic bringing back memories with my friends from Prince Purple Rain, George Michael and Bowie. But the aforementioned list, crap did it hit me the other night - I'm getting fucking old!

Carrie Fisher was 60 and Vanity was only 57 (as was Prince). WTF! I play pinball and re-live part of the fond memories of my youth at arcades and the wonder video games brought me. Some of these people are etched in those memories of my youth as well.

Everyone dies. I get it, but don't have to like it. It just hit home - pinball isn't hiding the fact - I guess I'm getting older even though I'm still 17 in my head.

The positive, thank god no family members in 2016. Knock on wood

#2 7 years ago

Sorry for your losses. When one of your parents passes away then you'll really have something to mourn.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When one of your parents passes away then you'll really have something to mourn.

Knocking on wood - hope that's still in the distant future. My post is a bit tongue in cheek but also a realization - I'm getting old.

Condolences to all those who have lost real family members. That's real pain.

#4 7 years ago

If you live long enough. You lose people.

Spend time with them when you still can. They can't hear you when they are gone.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

George Michael, Vanity, Prince and Carrie Fisher all died young but they had one thing in common. All very heavy drug or alcohol users throughout their lives since they were teenagers. This crap catches up with people sooner or later. It's sad and unfortunate but I'm not surprised when I read the tragic news.

Carrie Fisher for peeps sakes was doing drugs since age 13.....and that included cocaine, heroin, LSD....honestly I'm amazed she lived as long as she did because that's not the norm.

As for the rest Florence Henderson, Kenny Baker, David Bowie, Gene Wilder....they lived good lives.

We all loose loved ones in our lives. I get the whole celebrity thing but when someone dies from their own demons it's their own fault and they have only themselves to blame. Sorry if it sounds harsh but it's the truth!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I still remember all the wrong things I made Chewbacca do to that Princess Lea action figure. Greedo never got his turn.

#7 7 years ago

Just imagine what the Ewoks thought. They saw it all.

#8 7 years ago

<QUOTE>I lost three stars from the movie that was THE movie growing up. R2D2 (Kenny Baker), Adm Akbar (voice) and Princess Lea. </QUOTE>

I think we also lost the Death Star officer who almost got strangled by Darth Vader
    and the death Star Officer who asked "why aren't you at your post? " "looks like we have a bad transmitter"

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sorry for your losses. When one of your parents passes away then you'll really have something to mourn.

sobering statement

#10 7 years ago

I have come to the conclusion that I would have to be a vampire that's 400 years old to do all the things I want in this lifetime.
    -Mike

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Princess Lea (aka Carrie Fisher) just passed away. OMG. What a terrible year for celebrities who passed that left such an impression when I was growing up.
    I lost my TV Mom Mrs Brady. I loved that show so much I made my kids watch every episode with me. There were some pretty good parenting lessons on that show. And Marsha.
    I lost the next best thing to Santa Claus - Willy Wonka. Man, I really hoped there was a Wonka Chocolate factory growing up just so I could try that everlasting gobstopper. And an oompa loompa was the next best thing to meeting an actual elf.
    I lost three stars from the movie that was THE movie growing up. R2D2 (Kenny Baker), Adm Akbar (voice) and Princess Lea. I still remember all the wrong things I made Chewbacca do to that Princess Lea action figure. Greedo never got his turn.
    I lost my first celebrity teenage crush, Vanity. Man she was smoking hot. I still have a poster of her and the playboy magazine somewhere she posed in. Two days ago while sick at 2am I found the Last Dragon on cable. Man she was smoking hot. Read how she passed, so so sad.
    Yeah, I also lost actors from shows I used to watch when really young like Green Acres, Barny Miller, Alice, and Lois Lane (TV Superman reruns). And yeah, music that was so iconic bringing back memories with my friends from Prince Purple Rain, George Michael and Bowie. But the aforementioned list, crap did it hit me the other night - I'm getting fucking old!
    Carrie Fisher was 60 and Vanity was only 57 (as was Prince). WTF! I play pinball and re-live part of the fond memories of my youth at arcades and the wonder video games brought me. Some of these people are etched in those memories of my youth as well.
    Everyone dies. I get it, but don't have to like it. It just hit home - pinball isn't hiding the fact - I guess I'm getting older even though I'm still 17 in my head.
    The positive, thank god no family members in 2016. Knock on wood

Who died from Green Acres?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Who died from Green Acres?

It was Zsa Zsa, but her an Eva looked so much alike. Just reminded me of Green Acres.

#13 7 years ago

Did anybody feel part of their childhood being ripped away when Vic Morrow got his head chopped off during the filming of the Twilight Zone movie?

#14 7 years ago

Richard Adams, author of "Watership Down", passed recently too. That one hit home for me.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Did anybody feel part of their childhood being ripped away when Vic Morrow got his head chopped off during the filming of the Twilight Zone movie?

No but I had some "chopping sessions" to his daughter if that counts?

As for the deaths it's probably just simple math. Most of these people are baby Boomers so you have a much bigger pool of possible deaths to pick from. We should also see an increase due to the potency of drugs these days. Whomever thought Heroin would end up being such weak sauce?

At least yours is going slowly. Whatever youth I had left was violently ripped out of me when that baby was violently ripped out of my wife bloody guts. Actually now that I think of it, it was very similar to the Tauntaun scene in Empire yet less civilized (hands ripping open flesh instead of a light saber), but everything worked out fine.

Ha...George Lucas thinks Empire is the worst of the series...ahhh...sorry now I'm off on a tangent.

Quoted from jibmums:

Richard Adams, author of "Watership Down", passed recently too. That one hit home for me.

Had it on Laserdisc...classic animated movie.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No but I had some "chopping sessions" to his daughter if that counts?

I bet you did.

Rat1 (resized).jpgRat1 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

She can Ron my Johnson anytime.

#18 7 years ago

Many of us have reached the age when life starts taking instead of giving. Play your games, hug your loved ones, and enjoy the ride.

#19 7 years ago

Now the inventor of the Solo cup passes?

It was also sad to learn Debbie Reynolds, mom of Carrie Fisher, passed a day after her daughter.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Definitely!! Used to play Combat as a kid.

#21 7 years ago

I lost two thirds of Emerson, Lake & Palmer this year, along with two of my favorite authors and a host of others. Nothing slow about my childhood disappearing.

#22 7 years ago

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Carrie Fisher for peeps sakes was doing drugs since age 13.....and that included cocaine, heroin, LSD....honestly I'm amazed she lived as long as she did because that's not the norm.
    As for the rest Florence Henderson, Kenny Baker, David Bowie, Gene Wilder....they lived good lives.

Love David Bowie's music, but he was not the epitome of good, clean living. He may possibly have dabbled in the drug scene in his years before meeting Iman, who it sounds like really helped to straighten him out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-youth-is-slowly-being-taken-from-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.