WOZ_light_tube2.jpg
WOZ_light_tube.jpg
image.jpg
trollin.jpg
41uNeW1HpoL[1].jpg
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

So your saying all the new Sterns look"tacky"with spot lights? It's the way it's done now days.

Actually those are you're words making a Stern reference.

It is a surprise that a machine with lots of LED's needs extra lighting out of the box. Hopefully something can be done at the factory level (code / hardware) to make it brighter.

#91 10 years ago

The light tube works, now to see how much you can crank up the LED output.

#102 10 years ago

Does the WOZ LED's have any markings on them to ID the LED?

If you know the forward voltage (MAX) of the LED you can measure the actual current at the LED and figure out the headroom for voltage that can be applied to drive them.

I doubt its a liner curve but you would know if you are running near max or the low end of the LED.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Thats pretty unbelievable that a user had to figure this out despite all the complaints about GI.

The more eyes looking at something the sooner issues will be noticed and / or corrected.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I believe he's only taking a week off.
This seems like a pretty terrible quality control issue, I've been really impressed with just about everything about the WOZ cabinet builds ever since I saw Jack demo the features at PAGG, but this ...

It an oversight and likely considered "good" if the tube lights up.

When optics are involved small misalignments can = huge performance issues. Speaking from an automotive perspective the headlights on your car must pass photometric testing. Its basically putting a headlight on a motorized aiming fixture and measuring the beam and dispersion in a dark tunnel. If the candela values drop off in certain areas the headlamp fails inspection. This can be caused by a small ( 1MM or less) variation in the bulb shield, reflector housing, bulb socked fit, etc.

In the case of WOZ a misalignment ( LED / optic tube) can be seen with the naked eye and made a big difference. This is where your tooling & fixtures come into play for quality and consistency.

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

First, I agree that the GI lighting is far too dim. I put a scope on each of the LED leads when the GI was bright white and I found that that the PWM duty cycle appears to be at 60%. This being someone else’s game, I was afraid to poke at it too hard. I couldn’t get a good place to connect the ground on my test lead so the signal was noisy, but we all agreed that 60% seemed right.
If that’s the case, there probably isn’t a lot of room for improvement coming from the software.
A 40% boost might seem like a lot, but where PWM and LED brightness are concerned, the increase from 0% - 100% isn’t linear. The most dramatic light differences happen in the mid-range. While 30% to 60% might be dramatic increase in brightness, 60% to 100% will probably be almost imperceptible.

Good info-

The max light output would likely be correct alignment of LED / tubes vs frequency change or voltage increase. Fortunately this costs nothing and just some handwork and inspection of existing light tube / LED alignment on the game itself.

I wonder if you can see the difference in light output comparing a correctly aligned light tube / LED vs a misaligned one using a night shot camera? It might save time looking at every light tube / LED.

#199 10 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Disconnect the Gi chain from the machine. Use the Arduino board as the driver and have it light up the GI at 100%. It would remove all doubt about whether or not the GI can ever be fixed with software.

That is what needs to happen.
or
If the software is revised a setting for GI = 100%

Then you will know , by eye, if its enough or needs fixed by other means.

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

As an outsider to past nasty debates (and hopefully therefore an impartial 3rd party observer) as much as the JJP haters get thrashed for causing problems on the forum it does seem like the JJP crusaders deserve a lot of the blame. What is actually refreshing about this thread is that actual, legitimate problems with the game can be discussed without the people reporting them being shouted out of the room as "haters", etc.
If the JJP version of Mr. Scott "I'm giving her all she's got Captain, but it's no use!!!" can't solve this issue it will be pretty interesting to see the reaction from the company. I personally think the solution should come from them instead of 3rd party add-ons, but that is just my opinion.

I think you pretty much nailed it.

There was a lot of taunting back and forth from both sides of WOZ buyers and the so called WOZ haters which got nasty and personal in some cases. The lighting issue will be interesting to see how or if it gets resolved. You can have the best built item in the world but an engineering oversight or missed spec part make build quality a moot point if performance suffers.

Some of WOZ H8TRS may have been over the top but some JJP supporters were just as bad.

#248 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So v1.18 did brighten the GI. Now you can see it as part of the light show. Especially in the back through the ramp. Looks nice. However, it does absolutely nothing to light the playfield in the dark.

Makes you ask woz-up with the GI?

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Dude at what point will you admit you love coming in to start shit with everyone as well.

Lighten up Francis.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 16.95
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cal50.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-woz-experience-first-impressions-and-lighting?tu=cal50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.